Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU FT-757GXII LSB/USB help  (Read 3118 times)
YONU

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:45 PM »

hey all I need some advise on my YAESU FT-757GXII It receives and transmits fine on everything except LSB/USB according to a local ham the transmission sounds fine but what I hear is horribly distorted I am kind of at a loss so any advise/ideas would be good.

Thanks,
Reg
KK4NJC
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »

Does the received distortion seem to get clearer when you turn the RF Gain down?

Do other modes such as AM show signs of distortion as well? 

If the answer to both is no, suspect alignment issues in the sideband scheme first. 

Alignment may go out for any number of reasons, from dirty calibration cap or trimmer to bad solder joints or components. 

YONU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »

no actually I have to have the RF gain up atleast halfway to hear anything even local Broadcast AM(normal?)  no the other modes sound good as I have been listening to a couple Foreign AM stations on it(better reception than my handheld shortwave)

Ok now the big question how do I check the Ca;ibration cap and trimmer?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »

You are talking about how far UP you have to turn the RF gain in order to hear something. 

I'm asking if turning it down while receiving the distorted ssb transmission has any effect on the distortion, such as alleviating the distortion somewhat, as that may be a useful clue as to which section of the radio to suspect. 

YONU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

sorry no turning down had no affect
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »

If you turn the Big Knob (tuning) can you make the distortion go away and get clear ssb reception? 
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »

LOL nope turning the Big knob doesn't help it never clears up on LSB/USB
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 07:57:03 PM »

Try the clarifier function (see the manual).  You can't expect to tune a station in if your tuning control doesn't work.  Do you have it locked?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »

ok now I have to sound extra stupid what do you mean when you say locked? and I will give the clarifier control a shot tomorrow
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 11:31:36 PM »

If you push the 'Lock' button you can no longer tune to a station. The same applies if you are using a memory channel. You would see this already in your frequency display.

Getting to your question, could you tell us how it all started. Did your rig work fine and then the problem came up? It would be very helpful to know that for analyzing what is behind your observation.
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:28 AM »

Nope lock is not on.

The problem came up as far as I can tell from the time I turned the radio on as I pickedup the radio in august but then dent take my exam until December so like I said it was doing this from day one.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »

YONO:  Do you have the switch on a narrow filter?
YONU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »

Well I went through the manual the only reference to a filter I can find is the cw-n and cw-w on the mode switch is this what you are referring to
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »

Page 7 of the manual covers the clarifier....

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

YONO:  Not familiar with your radio but it should have CW and SSB positions on the switch.  The CW positions are narrow for copying CW and of course the SSB is for SSB voice.  If you have a CW-N (Narrow) and a CW-W (Wide) then I have to ask are you trying to listen to SSB while the switch is in the CW-W position?

Make sure the switch is in the SSB position.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: