Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kantronics Field Day reader  (Read 4377 times)
WB0CJB

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

Does anyone have or know where I can get a copy of the Kantronics Field Day (not Field Day II) reader manual and schematic? I have a friend who has one and is wanting to see if it still works. The red light lights up but no display and from what I can discern there is 5 volts on the ICs in the unit. Normally since the unit is so old it would not be worth fixing according to a lot of people. But if it can be brought back to life I would like to put it into use at Field Day.Our visitors would be able to see what is being said instead of just listening to the morse code sounds. The same for RTTY.I know there are many programs out there that translate CW, RTTY, and other modes into English but it doesn't help those who are standing behind the station ops and cannot read the laptop screen very well.

The unit did work at one time but ended up in storage for a couple of years. For the most part the PC boards are in really good condition.Any assistance would certainly help.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »

Just an idea if you have no luck with the reader..

Most laptops have some sort of VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, i.e. secondary monitor output. You could run a secondary monitor on the laptop or PC, set it as "extended" not "mirror" or "clone", set it then for a very low resolution, 800 x 600 or even 640 x 480 if it will support that, and run your reader software in that window. It'll look plenty big, and you could put the monitor up high on a stand of some sort for all to see.. An alternative is to run the PC display in one of the "Ease of Access" modes, with high contrast, large fonts.

If you are using a PC that doesn't have a spare video output, you can get an inexpensive USB display adapter and use it to feed the "big display".

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: