Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Foot RG58A/U Jumper  (Read 1059 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:34:21 AM »

I have a couple 3 foot jumpers, (Belden 8219) made with RG58A/U coax. Nice and flexible and was wondering if I can use one of these between the amp and the connector that gets me thru the wall to the outside of the shack to the coax going to the antenna.

I do run legal limit from time to time there Roll Eyes. Will the RG58A/U jumper handle the load Huh

73, Gene AF3Y
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:46:33 AM »

It will handle the legal limit.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »

See for yourself: http://www.timesmicrowave.com/cgi-bin/calculate.pl
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »

Remember that coax is spec'd on the assumption it's a textbook install... No pinches, no tight bends, no issues with the connectors and a properly matched load impedance both in and out. In the real world RG-58 offers very little margin at QRO with the worst case being on the upper bands.

Considering the cost and easy availability of an RG-213 jumper I don't see the advantage of a thin coax with small conductors.

Never change a password on a Friday                
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:19 AM »

RG58A/U not listed......

73, Gene AF3Y
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:30:36 AM »

Remember that coax is spec'd on the assumption it's a textbook install... No pinches, no tight bends, no issues with the connectors and a properly matched load impedance both in and out. In the real world RG-58 offers very little margin at QRO with the worst case being on the upper bands.

Considering the cost and easy availability of an RG-213 jumper I don't see the advantage of a thin coax with small conductors.

Well could use RG8x too. If you want a serious small jumper to pass through a wall use RG142, it will handle more power than 213.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »

You won't hit voltage breakdown if the connectors have been installed right AND there's no bad bends that can make the centre conductor migrate through the insulation, not matter what the SWR is. So the limitation is on current, and if you're running SSB or normal CW, you will get away with it. I've used RG58 at high powers but if run for long on a carrier, you can feel it get warm. So for non-contest SSB or CW on the HF bands, you would get away with it. For full power RTTY or SSTV, you probably would push it too far.

For a temporary fix until you can get an RG213, jumper, you're OK on SSB and CW.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.
I have a rg213 jumper there now, just ran up  on the RG58A/U jumpers in my box of "stuff", and thought it would be a bit neater, etc.

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: