Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONLY 40 meters for a while  (Read 2160 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »

Well, I guess I am going to have to learn to love 40 meters, at least for a while. I have been having problems with the rx volume dropping about 80% immediately after I transmit.  A tap or two on the key would "Usually" bring it back up. Not a good thing when working a rare expedition and the DX is answering you but all of a sudden you CANT HEAR HIM. Shocked

After putting the rig in for a checkup and getting it back with the comment from the tech of "FLAWLESS", I did what I should have done from the beginning. I dug out the dummy load and started checking to see if I could find where the problem was. Transmitting to the dummy load, it did NOT have the rx dropping problem.

Finally located the problem (I really think!) as the 4:1 UnUn. Using the dummy load all the way to the end of the coax, had no problems, but once I had the UnUn in line, bingo, the rx problem came back.  I took the UnUn out and with a pigtail on the end of the coax, connected direct to the vertical. NO problems with rx there.

Brought the UnUn in and opened it up. LOTS of moisture (condensation?) in there, even tho I had drilled a couple weepholes in the bottom, per the directions with the UnUn. I am drying it out, and will re-install it tomorrow and cross my fingers. Meanwhile, since its a 31' 1/4 wave vertical, it tunes nicely on 40 meters, but no where else. SO........ I am banished to the 40 meter band until ??.  Could be worse, at least now is a pretty good time for 40m.

73, Gene AF3Y       8)HAPPY NEW YEAR! Cool
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

Sorry to hear about your problems Gene, but at least you found it!

Hey there could be worse bands to be stuck on. 2 meters, 10 meters  Grin

If I could only operate one band I think I would pick 40 meters. You can always find someone to talk to on 40.

Happy New Year
Rick VE3FMC
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:33:15 PM by VE3FMC » Logged
N3QVB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »

Sorry about your troubles Gene.  There's been some tasty DX lurking about on 40 lately so maybe won't be so bad.  Happy New Year, 73 and good DX.

Andy
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »

Gene, would you mind taking your mic out of the box and checking into the OMISS net for me on 40.  No, I take that back cause you might bump into me at the Orlando Hamcation and beat me up.  You won't be too long off the HF airways.  Besides no big dxpeditions going on at present.   Smiley

Happy New Year Randy
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »

Gene, would you mind taking your mic out of the box and checking into the OMISS net for me on 40.  No, I take that back cause you might bump into me at the Orlando Hamcation and beat me up.  You won't be too long off the HF airways.  Besides no big dxpeditions going on at present.   Smiley

Happy New Year Randy

Well, I did just work Panama ON CW, for a 40 meter band fill. Saw/heard one big pileup (an A4. I guess Oman might be hard for the left coast guys... EZ here!). Now I can turn it off and watch football.

Happy New Year/73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »

Happy New Year Randy

Well, I did just work Panama ON CW, for a 40 meter band fill. Saw/heard one big pileup (an A4. I guess Oman might be hard for the left coast guys... EZ here!). Now I can turn it off and watch football.

Happy New Year/73, Gene AF3Y

A4 on the Left Coast? No problemo - many bands . . .
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »

I just worked HB0WR and A61BK for new ones--now up to 111 countries on 40! Even better, my 40M T6LG LoTW QSL came through after two weeks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 05:28:43 PM by W1VT » Logged
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »

Congratulations Zach, sounds like your rocking and a rolling on 40 tonight.  80 meters sounds like it might be doing good also, not much QRN.

Happy New Year Randy
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »

V5/DL3DXX has a decent signal on 40 CW.
First call nailed him!
Not bad for the old dipole.
Hny to all.
Frank KG6N
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »

Gene,

The real OTers considered baluns as the bane of the antenna system and did not use them.

My Bencher Skyhawk came with one but I gave serious thought to winding a bunch of coax on a form to make an RF choke but I used it in the end.  My inverted V uses a "Balun Designs" balun but it looks like it is hermetically sealed in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today.  

I had one of the oddest QSO's in memory today. I worked JT1CO at ~ 2 PM local time, or 18:54 UTC, on 30 meter CW running 100 watts. Many guys on the East Coast worked him with simple antennas and 100 Watts and he was very strong.

So, why am I up a 5 AM?  I woke up for a glass of milk and saw a spot for H40FN but by the time the Alpha warmed up after 3 minutes he went QRT. He was working all Europeans as usual.

If you can eliminate the balun I think it would be a good idea but it is not always possible.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:34:25 AM by NU1O » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 03:27:46 AM »

Gene,

I'd be really surprised to find out that balun still works well after 500 watts on 20 meters--the impedance gets very high there--a really bad situation if you want to run an amplifier.  Works great for QRP types--I've done great with a half wave vertical and QRP.  The popularity of the 43 foot length stems from the fact that it does have a really high impedance on any of the ham bands, so loads up well. In other words, a good compromise.  My 20ft flagpole works well on 40 through 10M.

Zack W1VT

two more on 40--OZ3FD and FM5FE, now up to 113!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:36:47 AM by W1VT » Logged
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 04:30:21 AM »

Longer isn't always better for the serious DXer.  

It isn't a bad rule of thumb for the casual operator who doesn't care about missing DX that everyone else gets.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 04:34:44 AM by W1VT » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »

The popularity of the 43 foot length stems from the fact that it does have a really high impedance on any of the ham bands, so loads up well. In other words, a good compromise.  My 20ft flagpole works well on 40 through 10M.

Zack W1VT

Did you mean to write it does NOT have a high impedance on any of the ham bands?

Chris/NU1O
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:25:02 AM »

Geno,

I am not sure as to the severity of your problem, but I have the same issue, mostly on 20 meters.....I used to think it was the rig...the TS440 is old, and I used to think that there was an rx problem, but same problem occurs with my yaesu 857D...Both rigs are not going to be effed up in the receive so..My thinking is that it's an antenna/feedline issue....whenever I key up, the rx comes back full tilt....then it will start cutting out after a period of non-xmit activity.....I am using old coax and the G5 is pretty old too....I plan on replacing this old antenna at some point, but right now, it's just a non-bothersom nuisence that seems to occur when it's windy out and the weather is foul (and believe me when I tell you, it's been pretty damn foul lately)....Like I said, I don't know how severe you issue is, but you might want to go that route so you can get back on the other bands......

Best DX for 2013
V
KA3NRX

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:28:26 AM by KA3NRX » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 06:56:58 AM »

Gene,

I'd be really surprised to find out that balun still works well after 500 watts on 20 meters--the impedance gets very high there--a really bad situation if you want to run an amplifier.  Works great for QRP types--I've done great with a half wave vertical and QRP.  The popularity of the 43 foot length stems from the fact that it does have a really high impedance on any of the ham bands, so loads up well. In other words, a good compromise.  My 20ft flagpole works well on 40 through 10M.

Zack W1VT

Zack, the Balun Designs UnUN is rated at 5Kw, so I really dont think 500 watts would bother it under any conditions. The obvious problem is the moisture in the UnUn, and I dont know how to keep that from happening again. I feel sure its condensation, even tho I drilled a couple "weep holes" in the bottom corners, per the instructions. Gets pretty damp and muggy here in Florida, pretty well year round. I have dried it out and am going to put it back and see what happens shortly.
73, Gene AF3Y

two more on 40--OZ3FD and FM5FE, now up to 113!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: