Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go with used Hex or buy New ?  (Read 3280 times)
KC2NYU

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »

I have decided I want to try my hand with a Hex Beam, but I would like to do it right and go with the latest design. From what I can find, the K4KIO - ( G3TXO redesign) - BBHEX5 is that and at a reasonable price.

-  But a friend has offered to sell me at a very reasonable price, a used 5 band Hex beam from Mike Traffie, that he acquired in in 2005..

-  My question is did the K4KIO redesign came out after 2005 and thus I would be better off with the K4KIO new Hex then the 2005 Traffie Hex?

-- How  would this 2005 Traffie Hex beam compare in quality and performance to the K4KIO 5 band Hex being sold today ??

73 & Tnx
Paul kc2nyu
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

The Traffie beam is excellent. The newer KIO is more broad-banded. If you can obtain the Traffie for less than the cost of a new KIO, I would go for it.
G3TXQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:21 AM »

My question is did the K4KIO redesign came out after 2005 and thus I would be better off with the K4KIO new Hex then the 2005 Traffie Hex?

I'm not sure about the relevance of your question, but for your information Leo (K4KIO) began selling his beam in early 2009.

Steve G3TXQ
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:04:01 AM »

Hi Paul,

Both antennas are excellent. I seriously doubt anybody would be able to notice any difference in actual on the air performance between the original design (Traffie) and the newer design (K4KIO and others). I am sure you will be very happy with either antenna.

The most obvious thing users experience is the SWR curve and it is excellent for both designs. SWR thus becomes a non-issue. There are physical differences in size which might be important. There are physical differences in construction but both Traffie and K4KIO put together a solid physical package.

If you have no preference with regard to size you should consider cost and degradation from being up in the air for 7 years. If any of the Traffie parts look dodgy you can easily purchase replacement parts from Mike Traffie. If a lot of the parts look dodgy you could end up exceeding the cost of the new K4KIO hex.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you join the Yahoo hex beam group. It is a very active group and the photo section is loaded with interesting photos. There's a lot more to any beam project besides the antenna. Being well read can only help.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hex-beam/

Mike K2MK
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:08:05 AM »

And don't, like so many seem to, think that the 'broadband' tag to the G3TXQ design refers to swr... Steve didn't go to all this effort just to get a marginally better swr on a design that already exhibits low swr across the bands.

But, as someone said, if you can get a used Traffie version very cheap, then go for it. Given that you mentioned that your antenna needs to be fairly discreet, the slightly smaller Traffie may help.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:12:01 AM by M0TTB » Logged
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:49 AM »

I bought one of the first Hex beams from Mike in the 90's. The ARRL would not test the antenna cuz there was not a computer model of the antenna to draw any conclusions on how it worked. Mike would told ARRL that it works. I do not know where the idea or design originally came from. Seemed to catch everyone by surprise at that time.
It had a very good F/B ratio. Mike said the F/B got better as you got near the band edges and SWR 2:1.
But because of our solid state radios folding back at 2:1, didn't seem to fly too well.
Mine stayed up for 3 yrs and the fiberglass rods and eventually the center hub deteriorated and the antenna literally fell apart while in the air. His replacement parts were too high to repair, so down it came.
Now we're 2013 and some copies of the original antenna. I'm sure that longevity and UV protection is incorporated now.
It was equal to or better in some cases than my Cushcraft A3S Yagi. A bear to put up on a tower. Don't do it on a windy day. A tilt-over tower is a better approach.

Fred
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:49:02 AM »

A hex beam does NOT have a low visual impact. Be sure to look at actual in the air photos. Perhaps painting the arms will help.

Mike K2MK
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »

Here is a brand NEW Hex Beam you can buy for 398.00 DELIVERED!
It uses the  G3TXQ design, and is made by NA4RR
So, google NA4RR, and then you will see it.

KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

Yeeoww! I might look at that myself.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

Yeeoww! I might look at that myself.

If I wanted a Hex Beam (and would, if I did not already have a larger beam) I would sure as heck look very long and hard at this low priced hex beam http://na4rr.com/'
The price sure seems right!
I am far from an expert on Hex Beam Construction, but it looks ok to me.
I mean, fiberglass and wire, are fiberglass and wire, right ?
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »

-  But a friend has offered to sell me at a very reasonable price, a used 5 band Hex beam from Mike Traffie, that he acquired in in 2005..

What is "Gained" by buying new?

KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »

What is "Gained" by buying new?

Well, in this case, it would be having the improved G3TXQ design vs the Traffie, if he goes with either the K4KIO or the NA4RR, because both of these Hex Beams use the G3TXQ design.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »

I built my own hex beam, but I gotta say, the build of the Traffie is second to none. It's really a first rate build and very well thought out.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »

I built my own hex beam, but I gotta say, the build of the Traffie is second to none. It's really a first rate build and very well thought out.
LOL, and for nearly 1200.00, it should be, especially considering you can get this brand new Hex Beam, that is better electrically www.na4rr.com , and it only costs 398.00 delivered to your door.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »

LOL, and for nearly 1200.00, it should be, especially considering you can get this brand new Hex Beam, that is better electrically www.na4rr.com , and it only costs 398.00 delivered to your door.

You seem to have an axe to grind here.

How about you stop shilling for your buddy. It's not very transparent...

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: