Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: INRAD IF Noise Reduction Mod  (Read 1802 times)
W7ARX

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »

Anyone have any experience with the INRAD IF Noise Reduction mod for the FT-1000?  Worth it, noticeable improvement?  I know two (2) fellows here that did the roofing filter mods and removed them as the radio sounded terrible afterwards....just curious on the IF Noise Reduction mod...

Appreciate any info, and drop me an email also if you wish...

K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

I had an FT-1000MP Mark V and tried both the noise reduction mod and the roofing filter mod at different times.  I thought the noise reduction mod of some value when operating 10 and 12 meters, but the roofing filter mod was a better bet for the kind of operating I was doing at the time - lots of CW contesting on 20 and 160 where the roofing filter sometimes helped with IMD.  Can't imagine why the other guys' radios sounded bad with the roofing filter - mine didn't.  I don't recall what the bandpass of the filter was, but it shouldn't have been narrow enough to affect SSB signals, unless one was listening to "hi-fi" extended bandwidth signals.  As I recall, there were a lot of menu items where you could alter the BFO offsets and I wonder if something they did there might have caused a problem. 

73, Floyd - K8AC
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »

I have a FT-1000MP (plain) and I just installed the IF mod.  I can tell you it is worth it.  I spent countless hours researching all the mods for the MP on the internet.
Here is a great link that will explain it better and advise you on a "test" that will allow you to decide if it will work for you.
http://lists.contesting.com/_yaesu/1998-05/msg00099.html
If you operate CW the K9AN CW audio mod is good to.
Check out my posts on the Yahoo FT-1000 users groups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: