Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5500 Rotator Azimuth Brake  (Read 729 times)
AE5QB

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

How much play is normal in the azimuth drive train on the 5500?  Maybe I am expecting it to lock up tightly when it stops rotating but there seems to be about a quarter of an inch slop in it in each direction  When the rotator is total stopped I can wiggle it horizontally about .25 inches each way.  The vertical rotator has a little play in it but it doesn't seem to be quite as much as the azimuth.  This is a rather new unit, by the way, it has never been mounted outside and only used for a few contacts at the ARRL TI 2 academy and in my driveway.  I am getting ready to mount it on top of the school for an ARISS contact and want to make sure it is RIGHT.

So what's the big deal?  Probably nothing, but I want to check.  It may not seem like much, but when you put an 11 foot heavy duty fiberglass boom on the thing with a couple of circularly polarized antennas on the ends, the rotator is dealing with quite a bit of torgue.  Consequently, when the rotation stops, there is a significant amount of oscillation in the antenna system.  Considering the start and stop nature of satellite tracking, this translates into a rather jerky track of the satellite.

Again, this may be normal.  i am just curious if others see this with their rotators or if I should have some concern.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »

most all rotors  have a bit of play in them. even those with brakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: