Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurora vs Arctic QRP  (Read 1781 times)
VE3VID

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 07:01:28 AM »

Hello and Happy New Year

I'm in the Canadian Arctic,  EP99,  Igloolik Island,  NA-174.  Foxe Basin.  I'll be here for a couple more weeks.

Have been trying to work PSK31 qrp with 2watts using a Small Wonders 20m rig into a folded dipole.  For a few hours at mid day I am seeing many tracings on DigiPan, a lot of them decode very well.  Most of the PSK31 tracings have a "saw tooth" edge to the pattern on the waterfall.  Is this auroral effect on the signal?  Sometimes I see transient bursts where there are hundreds of signals on the waterfall.

After several hours of calling CQ or responding to other's calls no one is answering me.  I wonder if aurora is wiping out my signal?  Igloolik Is is about 69deg north Lat, so likely beneath the auroral ring.

Will I need more power to punch out of this QTH with a signal that can be heard?

Thanks for reading, cheers
David

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »

PSK31 is not very tolerant of distortion. It's pretty common for signal going over the poles to be strong with zero copy. The only fix I know of is to use a different mode. RTTY would probably work better.
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »

I am considering an FT-857D for other modes while in the north.    Grin    Did contact TS2MSN today though, so a success.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

one of the MFSK variatons, Thor or Domino might be better suited for your situation
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

I am considering an FT-857D for other modes while in the north.    Grin    Did contact TS2MSN today though, so a success.

How about CW?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: