Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: **BEWARE** Scammer posing as N2EFN  (Read 4151 times)
W9BKR

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:31:09 AM »

Received many emails from a scammer posing as N2EFN, giving out Phone a phone number 518-387-9564...countless reversals in what the scammer wanted, etc.  Classic errors, mistakes, poor grammar....be advised if you can, to contact Carlos first before doing any business with him.  Likely this scammer will try to deceive you.  I asked for pics of an item and got some from the internet I had just seen the week before....they weren't from Carlos' shack.... Angry
KK6CZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »

Update: Received an inquiry today from someone purporting to be N2EFN, in response to a radio I have offered for sale.
I have no means of independently verifying his identity.  Is there anyone that knows him personally.  His license address
is for a limousine company, which may all be well and good, but it isn't helping my comfort level.   To be clear, I am not
suggesting the radio inquiry wasn't legitimate, but rather my finding the post above in this thread causes me
to ask several legitimate questions before proceeding, and is mainly to ask if anyone has any new/updated information
that might help me verify identity. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:45:38 PM by KK6CZP » Logged
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »

Well, you can view N2EFN's shack photo on QRZ and see what he has and kinda go from there, also google his call, look at the IP address when the email came from.  Lots of scammer responses off Eham for some reason....
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

I Know Carlos personally.  Far as I know he is an honest guy and someone seems to be highjacking his call and doing bad deals disguised as him.  If you want to to be sure it is Carlos I have a question you can ask him that most likely no one else that may be highjacking his call would know.  Send me a personal email and I can give you details.  My email is gudguyham@aol.com
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »

Sorry, I already deleted all my email traffic I had had.  Sometimes you get individuals that don't get their mommie's permission to buy or swap something and disappear and other times you get these mysterious individuals with the off grammar emails.  All are red flags and warrant additional caution.  In any event, I never for a moment thought EVN was involved and the emails were documented on the web from previous scams.  I never send, sell or ship anything to anyone without some dialog on the phone, documentation, etc.  When some jerk contacts me interested in my stuff, doesn't seem all that serious, I usually just add it to my growing list of individuals to avoid in the future.  Waste of my time.  It is really hard to do business on swap boards anymore due to the scammers, the losers, the rip off guys.  I miss the days of the local ham shops where one could go, sell, buy or just look at gear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: