Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for a good receiving antenna  (Read 5699 times)
KB2HUK

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

Hello , I am looking for a good multi band receiving antenna for a rx only port on my new flex radio .  I have been looking at the pixel pro 1b antenna .  Can anyone recommend one they are using .  thanks JOhn kb2huk
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

Yup. www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:07:15 AM »

I am a fan of beverages but you need land to put up a good one. If they are short then they are no better than a random length of wire terminated by a 450 ohm resistor and fed with a 9:1 balun. Long means a significant portion of the wavelength, think about that at 80 or 160 meters.

Maybe just a dipole or if you wanted to get crazy a fan dipole.

Another set of choices would be a loop, magnetic loop or even an active antenna.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »

I have the Pixel Pro-1B and am happy with it. I use a vertical on 80, 40, and 30 meters. The loop always provides a 3 to 5 db improvement in signal over noise on 80 and 40 meters. On 30 meters it sometimes provides about a 3 db improvement and other times is a wash. I don't use it at higher frequencies.

I have a low to the ground (10 to 15 feet high) full size 160 meter dipole which is already pretty quiet. The loop in this situation provides benefit under QSB conditions. By using my dual receive K3 in diversity mode I can sometimes improve copy of rapidly fading signals. I am sure if I had a vertical for 160 meters the loop would provide more consistent positive results.

The Pixel loop has a device which connects to the key output of your transceiver to cut power to the antenna while transmitting. I can transmit a KW through my vertical which is only 20 feet away from the loop without fear of damage to the amplifier. The antenna can be mounted low to the ground. Mine was originally at 8 feet high and worked well. I recently moved it up to 20 feet high and it works about the same but is possibly slightly more sensitive to direction. The antenna has no peaks but has two deep nulls. So you don't want a null pointing in the direction of a weak station. It should be mounted away from the house or it will pick up local electrical noise from within the house. Customer support is excellent.

If you are interested, be sure to read all of the reviews and carefully review the manufacturers literature.

Mike K2MK
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »

The Pixel Sat Radio Loop is great, much better than the vertical rx antenna which I used for a while from DX Engineering. It has made operating on 80 and 40 a pleasure and easier on the ears.

Don KF7DS
K8ALM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:57:31 AM »

I agree with the previous posters about the Pixel loop.  I have one up about 20 feet and It works great for nulling local noise.  I also use a reduced size flag that works well for me too.  No room for anything else at my QTH.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tony
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »

The best receiving antenna for me is a 55 foot piece of # 12 wire run from my roof peak to a tree 55 foot out in back. I run the # 12 all the way to the radio, no coax or anything. Works great on all bands and great for SWL also.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »

Receiving only?  It shouldn't make any difference whether you're using a Flex or a 1945-era Hallicrafters or National receiver.  A piece of copper wire, as long and up as high as you can make it.

The key is to experiment and learn what works and what doesn't, in your particular environment.  No two antenna installations are the same.

I certainly wouldn't spend a bunch of money on something with a high-tech word like "pixel" in its name!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »

Pixel Pro 1B receiving loop

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »

I am a fan of beverages but you need land to put up a good one. ...

That's quite true, but some people do have room, and that's why I mentioned it.

If there's no room for even a very short Beverage, there are alternative receiving antennas. Look at the BOG, the Slinky Beverage, K6SE's Terminated Delta Loop (KAZ), K9AY, Flag,  EWE , or Loop antennas. Links to info on those are at http://www.w0btu.com/Beverage_antennas.html#If_theres_no_room_for_a_Beverage

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »

Let me throw in a consideration foe one if the Wellsbrook loops. I have used the 1530+ fir several years (see my review in eHam section). While I've not used the Pixel, I have used various other wire antennas. Plus, the nulling abilities of a loop ad well as the frequency could be important to you. Check reviews of he Pixel vs the Wellsbrook loops...it will be worth your time.

For 160-40 meters, the magnetic loop (at least the Wellsbrook) will help on static crashes as well as the null for local nx.

I've moved recently and built a new house in an HOA. I have a narrow corridor between one side of my house and my neighbor which is his zero lot line. I'm mounting the Welksbrook 1530+ on a satellite sled and running the coax to a pencil PVC pipe leading to my shack. After visiting Hobby Lobby, I will doctor it up with fake moss and plastic shrubbery since antennas can't be 'seen' according to my CC&Rs. I'll use it with an AR-500 rotor and a receive switch. If anyone reports a moving bush in my yard, they've just been drinking too much!

In any case, perhaps these comments will prove useful to you in your decision. Goog luck!
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »

One of my favorite  receiving antennas is the t2fd but i find just a random length  dipole work very close and cheap to make  .Random wires are all way to noise  here .
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »

Let me throw in a consideration foe one if the Wellsbrook loops. I have used the 1530+ fir several years (see my review in eHam section). While I've not used the Pixel, I have used various other wire antennas. Plus, the nulling abilities of a loop ad well as the frequency could be important to you. Check reviews of he Pixel vs the Wellsbrook loops...it will be worth your time.

For 160-40 meters, the magnetic loop (at least the Wellsbrook) will help on static crashes as well as the null for local nx.

I've moved recently and built a new house in an HOA. I have a narrow corridor between one side of my house and my neighbor which is his zero lot line. I'm mounting the Welksbrook 1530+ on a satellite sled and running the coax to a pencil PVC pipe leading to my shack. After visiting Hobby Lobby, I will doctor it up with fake moss and plastic shrubbery since antennas can't be 'seen' according to my CC&Rs. I'll use it with an AR-500 rotor and a receive switch. If anyone reports a moving bush in my yard, they've just been drinking too much!

In any case, perhaps these comments will prove useful to you in your decision. Goog luck!

The Wellbrook is a fine product also. I decided on the Pixel Sat magnetic loop over the Wellbrook because it is modular and, as such, easier to maintain. If the pre-amp fails, that is the only thing that needs replacement. Not so with the Wellbrook.

Don KF7DS
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »

Don, I understand your thinking. From postings in the Yahoo Group on the 1530 and in personal correspondence, Andy Ikin of Wellsbrook does sell replacement preamps. They would come from across the pond...so overall your approach might prove less costly in terms of time and money.
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »

With the pixel is it important to get the antenna in the open ? I have a great natural mounting place but it is blocked by trees for 180 Degrees , the natural mount is  a pine that broke at approx. 10 foot level and an easy mount of antenna and rotor . I know that the lower freqs are least effected by trees and wonder if this location would be ok I see also in other posts that a good height for a beverage is around 8-10 feet does this also apply to the mag loop pixel ?  thanks for your replys .  all the best 73s    John kb2huk
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: