Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for a good receiving antenna  (Read 6034 times)
KB8VIV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »

Good luck with your new antenna. If you have some room to play, and want to experiemt, I agree with the beverage option, but few have that much real estate to play with.   A full wave horizontal loop would be a good option for a very quiet all band antenna.  I'm particularly happy with the ~275 80 meter loop up only about 25 ft.  The nice thing is you also have a great transmitting antenna on most bands between 10-80 with a tuner.  

Good luck.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:22:38 AM by KB8VIV » Logged
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:38:38 AM »

Hi John,

I originally had my Pixel at approximately 8 feet in height. A quick and easy installation on a piece of 1" steel conduit. It was surrounded on all sides by trees. Very densely packed trees over about 270 degrees. Less dense over 90 degrees. It worked fine. Later, I had the material available from another project to raise it to 22 feet so I did. Same location, still surrounded by trees. It works the same.

Mike K2MK
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply , I am thinking of using it with my flex which is on order.  I like the idea of using it with a rotor as well .  thanks for the info . John kb2huk
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:46 PM »

I put one of these up last year and it works VERY well. It's as good as a 450' beverage on all bands.

http://www.k7tjr.com/3element.htm

I put a 4 element version up of that 2 years ago and that worked well also. There's a few tricks to doing these the right way but these things really work.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »

Look at this web page. You can buy a kit for a loop that works just as well as the Pixel, Wellbrook and other loop antennas.

http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »

KB2HUK, please help us by sharing what are you attempting to achieve?

I just put up a HiZ receiving array, and it is absolutely mind blowing.  More expensive than the loop, but it works.  I snagged XU1A long path at my sunset with it, and the array allowed me to hear the guy.   

Also there are K9AY loops and EWE, IF you don't have room for beverages.

Please consider getting ON4UN's Low Band DXing book, it's worth every penny and worth its weight in gold for the guidance it provides.
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »

WD4ELG

Guys , I am trying to utilize a receive only antenna for the rx only port on the flex 6700 so I can use diversity reception .  I have trouble understanding how to read the plans to build some of the antennas listed and this seems the easiest and rotates.  Hell I don't even know what exactly is a high z or high impedance antenna is let alone the difference between that and a regular tx/rx antenna .  simplicity is the biggest reason .  I do have some space for a beverage of 300 to 400 feet long but I have never even heard of some of the parts that are used in making such an antenna or how to install them .  I hope this helps to understand my situation and goals   
thanks for the help    John Molenda kb2huk
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »

A pixel up at 10 feet on that tree will work fine.  you want to get the rx loop ( any rx loop) away fro man made noises, so away from the house is good.  trees won't bother it much.  the biggest advantage with the loop is that it has deep nulls to get rid of noise and other stations so you can here the one you want.  mount the loop on a rotor for best usage. Pixel technologies make a nice loop, just add rg 6 coax and a rotor, everything else you need comes in the box.
KD0QHZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »

Look at this web page. You can buy a kit for a loop that works just as well as the Pixel, Wellbrook and other loop antennas.

I am very interested in this. Is there any more information around on how this kit compares to a Wellbrook?
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »

Sorry, my apologies.  I mean HiZ antenna.  A commercial array, simple to put in place, works very effectively.  Does not require a lot of room.

http://hizantennas.com/

Take a look at the 3 element system.

http://hizantennas.com/controller_3_elements.htm

it's the same as the K7TJR that N1CX posted.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 03:47:58 AM »

The reports are all very positive. There are no miracle loop antennas out there. They just convenient and small  which allows easy installation. In most cases  in terms of pure signal strength and signal to  noise ratio performance something like a simple G5RV operated on all bands will have high signal strengths and better signal to noise rations. I suggest before spending big dollars on an expensive loop trying the  LZ1AQ loop. You wont be disappointed.

I have been playing around with active antennas and loops for a long time. I have many loops, dipole and vertical active antennas. I also have some expensive  rohde  & schwarz active rods and EMC HF loops.
Despite the huge cost differences between the hobby loops and the R&S loops, the performance difference is marginal and many ham loops like the Wellbrooke perform as well or better. It just depends on your location and the amount of signal and noise that you are playing with.

The best performing active antenna that I have is a R&S Rod vertical active antenna. The Clifton Labs antenna has similar performance.  When I talk about best I am talking about receiving weak signal SSB stations on all frequencies, not MW or shortwave stations. Many active antennas  are poor performers in this regard. Another good antenna if you can still find one is the  Datong active Dipole. Just use it without the pre-amp. A horizontal active dipole works much better than any vertical active antenna. You do need to get it up at least 30ft  if you want weak signal HF performance. Even on a band like 75 meters I can null DX stations with the DX active datong dipole.  You might contact clifton labs they might have a dipole version of their active antennas.

We lucky that we have so many good products available at affordable prices. When  you have a noisy location not even a 10,000 dollar professional active loop will do much for you and thats the bottom line.

I am very interested in this. Is there any more information around on how this kit compares to a Wellbrook?
K8ALM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »

Does anyone know how the HI Z triangle array performs in an urban environment with minimum (50 feet) spacing?  I would think nearby objects would affect the pattern/phasing although everyone's situation is different.  I too am always looking to improve low band reception.
KB2HUK

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:32 AM »

OK , let me get this straight .  The High Z antenna array are made up of either 2, 3triangle, 4square, 8 circle configurations .  You need amplifiers on each antenna line ?  and a transformer in the shack ? how many switch boxes ? do these antennas work together or just the one in the area you are looking to listen to ?  sounds pretty good I just do not ? and what  about ground radial system for each antenna ?  Will be looking for your replays Thank you .  John Molenda kb2huk 
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »

Does anyone know how the HI Z triangle array performs in an urban environment with minimum (50 feet) spacing?  I would think nearby objects would affect the pattern/phasing although everyone's situation is different.  I too am always looking to improve low band reception.

Read the documents on the HI Z website. My reading of them suggests that a typical urban environment will powerfully affect the way such an array will work. Arrays need, for example, to be a minimum of 200 ft. from a transmitting antenna and any metal objects near an array will affect its performance.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »

OK, OM's, I can only speak for my experience.  I have the 4 square array from Hi-Z, amongst a forest of oaks and pines.  It's 150 feet from my house.  To the north are 100kV high power tension lines.  To the South is our subdivision.  To the east and west are subdivisions.  The thing works.

If you check out the Topband refelector, there are many ops on small lots using the 3 element array on small lots.

Each vertical element gets a small amp (a small lightweight box) attached to it.  There is a central control box in the middle of the array, and a switch box in the shack.  Power to the amps and the central box travels through the coax.  It's quite well-designed.

Recommend you check out the website and contact the owners.  They are more than happy to answer your questions.  I looked at receiving systems for 24 months before buying this one.  I could not be happier, esp since I can't put up any beverages here (not enough room).

One last comment: this system was easy to put together.  No, I don't build my own equipment.  I asked for plug and play from HiZ, since I am so busy with work.  That's what I got.  And no, I have no business affiliation with the company.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: