The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Satellite Dish Magnetic Loop  (Read 3861 times)
K3ZD

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »

Seems it would not be difficult to manufacture an HF magnetic loop antenna to look like a satellite dish.  From what I've read these small magnetic loops can work very well. 
K3ZD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »

Heck you could just tell people that your MFJ magnetic loop is a TV antenna.  How would they know any better?  And its not lying.  It could receive TV signals. 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

Seems it would not be difficult to manufacture an HF magnetic loop antenna to look like a satellite dish.  From what I've read these small magnetic loops can work very well. 
    How about a "satellite dish" that's made out of plastic, using the mast that holds it up as your antenna?  I heard of a ham who did this, but he used a fake regular "TV antenna" on the top.
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

My loop looks like a boxed fan...lol

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »

My loop looks like a boxed fan...lol

Could you pass it off as a roof exhaust fan?
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »

Here is the funny thing...... I put it in a garbage bag, to help weatherize it and put it up on the roof...horizontally. I tied a rope around on of the vents and put it through the caring handle (it literally is the size of a box fan....along with a handle) and there it was....30ft off the ground. No one would know. It would still be up there had I not taken it down to put some inline ferrites on it. It began to snow and I didn't want to go back on the roof and have me come sliding down. It's slung against the fence waiting for the thaw.

I would expect you would really have to look hard for it.

As loops go (MFJ-1780), it's not as high Q is its brothers but it gets the job done. It does work better 20-30 feet off the ground, but it's sitting 6ft up slung against my wodden fence and it can compete with my 40m folded dipole 25ft up.

Here is the unit with a side taken off. It's depth is only about 4 inches and no one could tell what it was bundled in a dark garbage bag. Keeping the water out seems to be all it needs. We all know the winter we have and mine has not quit yet.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: