Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The higher we go, the more difficult it becomes...guaranteed  (Read 7541 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »

I agree regarding PSK. I despise all that macro garbage. Speaking as someone with 305 in the log on Digital, RTTY is definitely the way to go here!

I can't get into RTTY. Aren't Macros widely used on RTTY, just like PSK?  Also, most of those contacts are as short as a CW contest contact.

Chris/NU1O

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »

I tried to do a mini-dxpedition to Wake Island (KH1) but checked with my employer and we have no assets there that I could inspect. Undecided

I think we should build something there so I can check it our annually.

73, Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

In  terms of FR4FA/J I have the same card  I send all of my cards directly to the ARRL for DXCC purposes, and they accepted it for Juan de Nova.  Good thing since that is my only Juan de Nova QSL.

John AF5CC

John, I'm very curious as to what year you worked him?  I worked him in November of 1988.

Chris/NU1O

Chris, this is a REAL long shot, but since it seems that Bruno is French military, why dont you try one or two of the recent 2009 French military Glorioso team. They "might" know him, or at least know of him and they "might" know how to get in touch with him.  Just another possibility.........  GL.........
  http://glorieuses2008.free.fr/index-e.htm

73, Gene AF3Y
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »

RTTY is fun if the pileup isn't too big or if I have the propagation advantage.  Some operators do a really good job on RTTY.  I use two macros--my call and the exchange.

I can work DX with JT65, but it is an acquired taste.  I've been assembling a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" while operating JT65.  I have found the long latency of such operating and a wireless mouse just doesn't work--I went back to using a hard wired mouse and everything works as it should.

I can't really get into PSK31, but I can do it if I have to.  Wink

Zack W1VT

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »

Yeah, that's what I have been reading on other eHam posts, that it's Macro heaven, but I have recently retired, so I have the time on my hands to do things.

The macro guys on psk are fun to throw off.. just ask them a question. You'll either get the 73 macro or you may actually get them to type out an answer. The only macros I use are the cq macros in psk.

Rtty I use a cq macro or a macro to send my call 2 or 3 times. The rest is just typing.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »

I might give RTTY a spin, I have to do a little reading on how to set things up for that.  Shouldn't be a problem though!

It's pretty easy. I use the free MMTTY software and a MicroKeyer but there are a number of other devices that will do true FSK (don't mess with AFSK here) as well.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »

I'm hoping to hit 300 with the wire dipole I have. I'm at 280 or 281 now. Someday I'd like to get something up such as a steppir and a 40 or 50 foot tower/mast but with a baby on the way funds and time for radio will be a little harder to come by. I am pretty confident I'll make it. There is still quite a bit that is on the air that I'm just not around at the right time for. I'll get there...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:29:45 PM by KB2FCV » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

But what do other DXers do to keep the interest going during the dry spells

I can't believe there was only ONE mention of the DX Marathon here.

I am absolutely KICKING myself for only getting 39 zones this year, can you believe the one I missed was zone 29!! I didn't realize it till mid-December and by then I just couldn't find RI1ANC or a VK6 when my prop fit with my Ham time. Can you believe it!! I must've worked R1ANC/RI1ANC a dozen times in 2011.

paul
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 02:36:12 PM »

I thought about the Marathon, but after spending half an hour checking locations making sure I had worked zone2, I couldn't see going the effort of verifying everything.

I did work VK6LW and VK6KJ--so I got 29 on both CW and SSB.  I was really surprised how many zone 18 and 23 contacts I made this year--even got called by zone 18!

I'm spoiled by LoTW--work a whole bunch of stuff, make a quick check of your log, and assume that you need anything that isn't on that list.  Yeah, I missed counting p29 when I did my quick 40M tally, but who passes up anything that isn't confirmed yet for your mixed DXCC?  I found out when the cards showed up yesterday.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:41:36 PM by W1VT » Logged
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »

I "do" a lot of RTTY.
Yes, macros are used on RTTY too, but only my call and report.
Most anything else is (poorly) hand typed.

This weekend is the RTTY-RU, one of my favorite slugfests.
The bands will be full of RTTY this weekend and IF the SFI
keeps climbing, 10 may have some decent activity.  

I stay AWAY from PSK-31 too, ESPECIALLY US OPS !
Too much and too many LONG, BORING macros full of BS.
I don't CARE if your computer was assembled
by NASA, and I don't CARE if your software was
personally written by Bill Gates.

Does your computer generate and decode PSK-31 ?  
If it does, then I am happy.

I do like working some of the "odd" PSK contests (PSK-63 & 125), especially
since the participation by Europeans is much greater than USA.
The Europeans are not afraid of faster speeds, the US
people seem to be afraid to go above 31 shift.

Ironically, one of my latest DXCC entities (New Caledonia)
was snagged on PSK-31. But it was quickly followed by
a CW Q as well. I have been chasing New Caledonia for a long time.

Several years ago I worked a station in a contest, don't remember which one,
but I wrote the call down INCORRECTLY. (That shows me that it was 2006
or 2007) before I had learned about N1MM.
Ok course, I BUSTED the call.  OOPS !
Instead of FY***, I wrote FK***

Dyslexia had set in !
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:03:14 PM by KB3LIX » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

Hi John,

I worked Bruno on November 21st 1988 on 15 meters.  I had an Icom 720A, 100 watts, and the most inefficient Butternut vertical one could erect -- meaning very few ground radials and it was mounted up against the house and not in the open.

During the 5 months I held N1FSD in 1988 I have 3 countries I have still not worked again.  Aside from Juan de Nova, they are Minami Torishima, and Kerguelen Island.  

Chris/NU1O

Chris, try contacting some of the French military team which activated FT5GA in 2009..

They just might know Bruno personally, if he is French military and even know how to reach him.  LONG SHOT, but hey, you never know....  GL

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:10:06 PM by AF3Y » Logged
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »

I'm spoiled by LoTW--work a whole bunch of stuff, make a quick check of your log, and assume that you need anything that isn't on that list.  Yeah, I missed counting p29 when I did my quick 40M tally, but who passes up anything that isn't confirmed yet for your mixed DXCC?  I found out when the cards showed up yesterday.  Grin

Which P29 cards arrived? I am looking forward to seeing the P29NI and P29VCX cards.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:23 PM »

Yes, those were the ones that showed up yesterday--P29NI and P29VCX-three islands and four bands--7, 10, 14, and 24MHz.  Boosted my 40M totals to 115/68--won't take to long if I continue to get a few QSLs a week....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:45:59 PM by W1VT » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »

Chris, this is a REAL long shot, but since it seems that Bruno is French military, why dont you try one or two of the recent 2009 French military Glorioso team. They "might" know him, or at least know of him and they "might" know how to get in touch with him.  Just another possibility.........  GL.........

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,

I have a QSL card for Juan de Nova.  It is not very neat since much is added by a pen but Peter, W2IRT, opines it has all the info needed to count for DXCC credit.

It is Prasad, VU2PTT, who needs a QSL for Juan de Nova.

Prasad, let me know if you have read this?

73 and thanks for checking,

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »

I have a QSL card for Juan de Nova.  It is not very neat since much is added by a pen but Peter, W2IRT, opines it has all the info needed to count for DXCC credit.
Well, just to clarify, my opinion is based on what you wrote. Obviously I'd have to see it up close and personal if I were checking it as part of an application.

Speaking of which, I will be one of two checkers this Sunday at Ham Radio University at Briarcliffe College in Bethpage, NY out on Long Island.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: