Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The higher we go, the more difficult it becomes...guaranteed  (Read 8499 times)
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »

In  terms of FR4FA/J I have the same card  I send all of my cards directly to the ARRL for DXCC purposes, and they accepted it for Juan de Nova.  Good thing since that is my only Juan de Nova QSL.

John AF5CC

John, I'm very curious as to what year you worked him?  I worked him in November of 1988.

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

Chris, I just looked at an online image of that card you referenced and there is no ambiguity whatsoever. Assuming the callsigns matched what's on your application, the date, time, band and mode were legible and not altered in any way I would accept a card like that without question. If the date of the QSO falls within the range of accepted dates of operation on file, I'm sure that would be credited to your account with nary a second thought.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »

I gotta say, my hexbeam as crummy as its supposed to be, hears and works the dx that the locals with bigger setups get.
Last time I got shut out on a dxPedition, I decided to put up a beam, the hex hasn't failed me yet with legal limit and some skills.
Frank KG6N
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »

Chris,

I worked him on November 25, 1988 at 0410Z on 20m SSB.  I would have been using a set of Kenwood Twins, and probably a random wire although I might have had my first mini quad still up by then, but I don't think so.  I was home on Thanksgiving break from Northeast Missouri State University (where Bill, W4AN also went) when I worked him.  That was sure a nice early Christmas present.

On my QSL the manager also circled Jan de Nova Island in red on the map on the front of the QSL.

John AF5CC
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »

I suspect part of the reason that hex beams/Spiderbeams sometimes get a bad rap, with regard to using them on DXpeditions, is due to them being installed at low heights.  There's nothing magic about them - they have to be in the air, just like any other yagi. 
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 03:36:04 AM »

Chris, I just looked at an online image of that card you referenced and there is no ambiguity whatsoever. Assuming the callsigns matched what's on your application, the date, time, band and mode were legible and not altered in any way I would accept a card like that without question. If the date of the QSO falls within the range of accepted dates of operation on file, I'm sure that would be credited to your account with nary a second thought.

Thanks for your valued opinion, Peter.

It sounds like you card checkers look for obvious fakes while somebody in Newington is going over each application to see if the expeditions were approved and the contacts were during the dates of the expedition.

It seems to me they would need a big staff at the DXCC desk to check each application but I don't think that's the case. It's easy to see why they want this computerized and are promoting LoTW so much.

In about a year and a half I have 247 entities confirmed via LoTW so if i just want to bring my DXCC total up to date without worrying about bandfills I will need to have 69 cards checked out.  Actually, I was trying for bandfills when I first started filling out the online application but it was time comsuming so now I will just bring the cards for countries not confirmed via LoTW.

I will worry about bandfills and WAS for various bands and modes on a subsequent visit.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 04:32:12 AM »

Chris,

I worked him on November 25, 1988 at 0410Z on 20m SSB.  I would have been using a set of Kenwood Twins, and probably a random wire although I might have had my first mini quad still up by then, but I don't think so.  I was home on Thanksgiving break from Northeast Missouri State University (where Bill, W4AN also went) when I worked him.  That was sure a nice early Christmas present.

On my QSL the manager also circled Jan de Nova Island in red on the map on the front of the QSL.

John AF5CC
Hi John,

I worked Bruno on November 21st 1988 on 15 meters.  I had an Icom 720A, 100 watts, and the most inefficient Butternut vertical one could erect -- meaning very few ground radials and it was mounted up against the house and not in the open.

When I worked Juan de Nova I had been licensed for all of five months and I seriously doubt I realized just how rare that island was. I certainly would not have believed that almost 25 years later I would still not have worked the island again but the bulk of my operating time has been in only eight years; 1988, 19889, 1990, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2011 and 2012. 99% of my operating time has been near, or at, a solar peak and the peaks around 1990 and 2001 were nothing like what we are experiencing during this solar cycle. I have solar flux numbers in my logbook margins of ~350 for the previous peaks and that is how I was able to work some of those really rare ones with a very lousy antenna system.

I really feel bad for all those who were licensed after the last peak around 2001 and are now experiencing their first solar peak. One can do some amazing things when the SFI is 350 and the newcomers are really being cheated to date.

I worked Glorioso in June of 2000 but I did not get it confirmed until late in 2011. That one and some other rare one's confirmed many years later taught me an important lesson: QSL the rare ones right away!  I still need Tromelin in the Indian Ocean.

During the 5 months I held N1FSD in 1988 I have 3 countries I have still not worked again.  Aside from Juan de Nova, they are Minami Torishima, and Kerguelen Island. 

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:37:19 AM by NU1O » Logged
VU2PTT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 06:55:38 AM »

Prasad, VU2PTT, is currently looking for a QSL but Bruno's old manager, F6FNU, is now a SK, and Bruno is now in French Guiana with a FY call but w/o an email address for Prasad to reach him.

Did he try and reach him via an email to the manager of his FY call, F2YT?

Deepak VU2CDP alerted me to the fact that this call sign FR4FA/J surfaced again on eHam  Grin

I did try F2YT - he answered "very very sorry not manager  - please qsl via f5oym"

Well, the trail i found earlier in 2007 was that Bruno was F1OYM - later became F5OYM - but no known email address. i even scoured Google and finally found an F5OYM @ hotmail.com address but no reply to any email.

From Jacques F6BEE aka VP6T - he also is trying to get this card and mentioned Bruno who is now FY5GJ is French Army and keeps moving every 3-4 years. Apparently F5OYM is still listed on the french licensing authority site but not on QRZ.com - we are looking for any other path right now Smiley

73 and Happy New Year to all - may all of you get all your new ones on time ;-)

Prasad VU2PTT

N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:49 AM »

I know, I know...it's just a hobby. 

I guess the next step is to:

1. Make a DXPedition myself (can't take time off from work or put that kind of $$ into a trip...and besides the XYL wants to come along, and she does NOT want to go to the South Atlantic!)

2. Take up cross-stitching as a secondary hobby to pass the time until the next rare one is on

3. Take a cooking class with the XYL

4. Start playing golf again (that is as addictive to me as ham radio, but I am not gifted with a golf club like I am with a CW paddle)

My other hobbies are Metal Detecting and Astronomy (no observatory).
It's winter here now.
Only thing I can do with the snow and cold temps is Ham Radio, preferably DXing.

SO, WHERE'S THE DX   Angry  Huh   Smiley
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »

A45XR, Chris, was very strong on 10 meter CW via the long path a little while ago.  That is a trip of about 18,000 miles. Although I have worked Chris on many bands, and CW, SSB, and RTTY, a contact like that is what makes me turn on all the equipment each day.

You are not going to work ATNO's everyday or every month so you'd better find some niche which keeps you interested or you'll be folding your tent in the not too distant future.

Chris/NU1O

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 09:00:51 AM »

You are not going to work ATNO's everyday or every month so you'd better find some niche which keeps you interested or you'll be folding your tent in the not too distant future.

Chris/NU1O

Hear, Hear!  This is one of the reasons I am beginning to set up my station to run PSk and set a goal of DXCC via Digital mode in 2013.

73 de Jim - KE8G
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »

Boy, you're a real glutton for punishment. I wouldn't be looking forward to wading through all of those macros. The only PSK I've worked in the last year are C2, PZ, TR, A3, and CY9, and 3 of those were DXpeditions. Work a couple of RTTY contests and you'll be done.

Actually, I should note that you can't escape, even on RTTY. I'm on vacation so I've been getting to see what's on when I'm usually at work. I was looking at EU RTTY this morning (~1200Z) and I saw many that also did macro dumps.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:25:41 AM by WS3N » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »

I agree regarding PSK. I despise all that macro garbage. Speaking as someone with 305 in the log on Digital, RTTY is definitely the way to go here!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »

Yeah, that's what I have been reading on other eHam posts, that it's Macro heaven, but I have recently retired, so I have the time on my hands to do things.

I might give RTTY a spin, I have to do a little reading on how to set things up for that.  Shouldn't be a problem though!

73 de Jim - KE8G
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »

I have heard some DXers badmouthing both hex beams and spiderbeams due to weak signals from some DXPeditions in the last few years.

Isn't it more likely, that DXpeditions relying on spiderbeams/hexbeams probably generally have very poor antenna siting to begin with? And are generally operating "EU hours" to their friends back home?

The sharp contrast, is the guys who set up a couple of poles or vertical dipoles on a saltwater beach, and take advantage of greyline and other propagation opportunities extensively.

I will very very occasionally be able to work the guys with poorly sited spiderbeams. And I consistently am able to work the guys with poles on the beach.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:59:54 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: