Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dedicated RF  (Read 10913 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »

Notice; I Michael Higgins no longer have any involvement, engineering or consulting with AN Wireless, AKA Dedicated RF.
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

To expand on this a bit further, Mike was not able to allocate the time to the current engineering project, because of existing work & home responsibilities, in order to complete the project in the required time frame.

For this reason and a couple of others, I had to make the very difficult decision to let Mike go.

A public forum really isn't the place for this, however I felt it necessary to add to this, as the initial post would appear as somewhat negative otherwise.

Dan Simmonds
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »

We have been waiting for the new 8877 roller inductor amp to  hit the market.  Now with this news, when can we expect to see this amp?
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

Hi Louis,

There's been no delay - I have already hired a new RF & firmware engineer as of mid-month (last month) who can focus 40-hours per week at this.

Details will be in the January emailed newsletter.

To answer your question - the aim is 2Q or 3Q 2013 to begin beta testing & FCC type acceptance. I hope to have production a reality 1Q 2014, barring any surprise issues.

FYI - I am looking for an App developer experienced in Amateur Radio Graphical User Interface design.

Dan Simmonds
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 02:44:25 PM »

A new tube amp in the year 2013. Why?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

A new tube amp in the year 2013. Why?

I don't know the answer, but from a marketing perspective I'd rather sell thousands of inexpensive units than a small number of very expensive ones.  Ford makes a lot of profit, Lamborghini doesn't. Wink
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »

A public forum really isn't the place for this

Then why did you do it here? Mike's post was neutral -- he basically said he was no longer affiliated with your company. Then you had to jump in and say he was fired. Tacky, tacky.
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:07 AM »

W6UV: Perhaps neutral to some, not so to others. It takes a 6th and sometimes 7th sense to identify what others could read into a statement, and then diffuse that statement before it morphs into an issue. For instance, many would view that opening statement (as I did) and immediately read much more into it - because such a blatant statement comes across to some as leaving the reader with the feeling there's an issue with the employer (me), or company troubles, etc. This fact was perhaps not taken into consideration when it was initially posted. It takes a very wide sense of peripheral vision to see the potential in something like this. As I stated initially, it was a very difficult decision to me to have made. Had the initial comment not been posted, it would have all remained silent.

After these kinds of threads go on for a few days, I usually wind up getting a few emails from those that really do understand this.

The Ford vs Lamborghini concept. We've all seen what happens when a company focuses strictly on "thousands of inexpensive units" versus a small number of expensive ones. Niche companies producing a very small number of an item - produced perfect every time - can far surpass the bulk manufacturers in terms of profit *if* that niche company is run clean and perfectly efficient, with an abundance of QC. I personally did this for 10+ years, and am taking that identical approach again with the company named in this thread.

Dan Simmonds
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:39:32 AM »

The RF Concepts Alpha 9500 uses one 3CX1500A7 and is rated for 1500 watts key down with no time limit. The Alpha 9510 is a "commercial" version. Both amps use a 35 lb transformer. I suspect these amps will run 2500 watts in OOK CW and SSB. The new amp in development (see link below) uses two 3CX1500A7 tubes and a 76 lb transformer in the export model. Is this to provide a huge margin or is it aimed at the ham who intends to run 5 kW?

http://www.dedicatedrf.com/

The RF Concepts Alpha 4400 autotuner is rated for 4000 watts but is said to be "a little bit conservative." Who needs a 4 kW tuner but someone who intends to run considerably over the US power limit?
KK3AN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »

Hi Dave,

The intent here (with us) is to produce this amplifier 100% in parallel for Amateur Service / Commercial / Government, etc, with only firmware changes for frequency lock / unlock. Hence the variable inductor tunable from about 1500 kHz and up.

Dan
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »

This whole blurb is commercial in nature and until some piece of ham gear is for sale or at least advertised, it has nothing to do with Amateur Radio and is taking up space better used for legitimate posts.

Allen KA5N
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »

KK3AN - Dan - Since you are THE man, which makes the first time I've ever seen someone in your position available to answer a question, I'd like to ask one.

As WIK pointed out, why doesn't your company build a simple and reliable amplifier for the "masses?"  I'm sure there are thousands out there that would like to have an amplifier that can be worked on; can be repaired not only today but 20 years from now.  Like the old Heath amps. 

I understand that some tube amps require, no, demand grid protection but anything else simply becomes a PITA and precludes repairs in the future if the company goes out of business or "no longer has parts."

I get so damned tired of looking at gear that costs in excess of $2KBs!  Please don't point out MFJ.  We are all familiar with MFJ gear and their QC problems and if nothing else, their 'looks.'

Modern technology has outstripped most amateur ops abilities to do even simple repairs to their gear.  And the prices required to pay for this advanced technology continues to climb.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »

Amateur use of the new two 3CX1500A7 tube amp, which will surely be used to violate the US amateur power limit and to cheat in HF contests, could be discouraged by not obtaining FCC type acceptance for amateur service.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »

Amateur use of the new two 3CX1500A7 tube amp, which will surely be used to violate the US amateur power limit and to cheat in HF contests, could be discouraged by not obtaining FCC type acceptance for amateur service.

True but not likely. I saw a 8kw amp sample a Hamvention 2 years. They would have had buyers if it was available. The legal limit is obviously ignored by many and demand for higher power is therefore a "niche" some builders try to fill. When is last time you heard someone busted over it?

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »

From a design and production point of view, I can certainly understand why they would want to build a single amplifier that serves multiple markets, however, it would seem that the people in the 'lower' market (ie, hams) are paying a lot of extra money for capabilities (ie, more power) that they are not legally able to take advantage of.  I do not have any idea how much the extra tube (and supporting circuitry) and the beefier transformer required for dual tubes adds to the cost, but I'm willing to be it is not inconsequential.

Carlton
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: