Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Save A Lot Of Money On A Hex Beam !  (Read 29555 times)
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »

Hex Beams are very popular here in the Tampa Florida area, where I live. Until a few weeks ago, I only knew about the excellent performing K4KIO Hex Beams, and The Traffie Hex Beams. I can and did put up a larger antenna then a Hex Beam, so I have never really been in the market for one.
The Tampa area has a lot of snowbirds, winter only residents, who go back home in the summer. Many of these snowbirds are Hams, who want something small, that works decent. Thus, the Tampa Florida area is full of Hex beams.
I have recommended the K4KIO to several Hams for years, for those looking for a Hex Beam.
The K4KIO Hex Beam is based on Steve Hunt's G3TXQ design, and seems to work exactly as the computer models predicted, in the real world.
A few weeks ago, I was made aware of the NA4RR Hex Beam. It too is based on the G3TXQ design, but, it costs a LOT Less! It only sells for 398.00 DELIVERED, plus it comes with 6 meters as well!
AS soon as I checked it out, it kind of became a "no brainer" for me to recommend it over the considerably more expensive K4KIO design.

Well, my email has literally gone nuts, from Hams wanting to know more about this reasonably priced Hex Beam that NA4RR is making.

Us Hams help each other, and turn each other on to deals, when we can. I have been helped by my fellow Hams, so many times I lost track. So, now I want to "return the favor", and turn my fellow Hams on to what I see as THE Best Deal on a Hex beam.

I know of many Hams who bought the K4KIO Hex Beam, because I told them about the fine product he makes.
But now, I am pleased to say, they can have the exact same electrical performance G3TXQ designed, with 6 meters "thrown in", for over 200.00 LESS MONEY!

I have only been a Ham for 27 years. Many unselfish Hams elmered , and passed on deals to me along the way. These unselfish Hams taught me much about our Hobby, so now it is my turn to pass on a great antenna design, for very little money.

Here is the link http://na4rr.com/
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »

That's a mighty generous thing you're doing for your fellow hams.  That said, I'm going with a vendor who can spell "hexagonal."
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

Hexagonal is a boy hexbeam.
Hexaginal is a girl hexbeam.
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:09:01 PM »

That's a mighty generous thing you're doing for your fellow hams.  That said, I'm going with a vendor who can spell "hexagonal."
LOL, he got it right on the ad copy,  but NOT the Page Headline!
More "importantly" he also seriously misspelled Antenna !
Look at the Headline!

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:50:23 AM »

Re:KF6ABU
                Other than the boy version which is generally hung lower than the girl version is there any noticeable performance difference between the two?   
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:02:44 AM »

From the photos (advertisement) the main difference seems to be the construction
of the hub (much lighter materials).  The center post design is a copy of Leo's.
I have a K4KIO hex, it works great and Leo is a great guy to deal with.  That is
enough to make me think several times about buying something JUST because it is
cheaper.  The old adage "You get what you pay for:"   is often the best advice.

But you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Allen KA5N
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »

Reading the specs of both K4KIO and NA4RR they each use the same 3/16 in. thickness for the hub plate.As KA5N states, the center post looks the same and looking at f/g spreader poles of each ,they look like they come from the same vendor(small diameter hole through middle).I know Leo's precut elements are very heavy duty with a nice plastic coat.I bought A 20m element wire from Leo for my 2nd homebrew hex beam.I can't tell from NA4RR pics if the precut wire elements are as heavy as Leo's,but if they are the price is certainly right for a homebrewer.So as far as metal work/construction ruggedness goes I would dare venture that both are equal.Can't wait for the reviews on the NA4RR hex.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

Other than the boy version which is generally hung lower than the girl version is there any noticeable performance difference between the two?   
One complains its always too hot, or too cold. the other one just works until its done.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »

I bet the boy version is quieter! Much less QRM!
W3KC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »

The old adage "You get what you pay for:"   is often the best advice.

Another hex beam contender is DX Engineering.
Cost issues aside, their very important hub and center post designs are very robust.

73 W3KC
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:57:26 PM »

The old adage "You get what you pay for:"   is often the best advice.

Another hex beam contender is DX Engineering.
Cost issues aside, their very important hub and center post designs are very robust.

73 W3KC
Plus, they are an awesome company to do business with! Back when I still had my Hustler Vertical, they helped me out a lot by nicely "insisting" I get some add on's for it from them, starting with their awesome radial plate.
That radial plate was built like a brick chithouse, compared to some other POS Plates I had previously used, that soured me on Radial Plates.

But still, compared to the NA4RR Hex Beam, the DX Engineering Hex Beam is over 250.00 More, once you add in the freight that NA4RR gives you, for free.

Like I said, I do not know NA4RR, other then I did talk to him by telephone last week for the one and only time.
LOL, I have not even called him, to tell him he has 2 spelling errors on his website www.na4rr.com ! He misspells both Hexagonal and Antenna  Grin
I called him to get his email, so I could email him a message from a Ham I received, who was interested in buying a Hex Beam.
He did tell me he has plans to make an even better base plate for his antenna, but  that it will cause a 20.00 price increase, in the antenna. He lamented he really wanted to stay under 400.00 with his Hex Beam. I called him at abut 9.30 pm (we are both in florida). His XYL answered, he was out in the shop. He came to the phone, we talked, he gave me his email, and said he was sorry he did not answer the phone. He said he plans to go to Orlando Ham Fest, and wanted to take 20 Hex Beams with him.
He told me he was out in the shop, building some of them.

I know he used to own a K4KIO Hex Beam, because another Ham posted in a Hex Beam thread he bought the used KIO Hex Beam from Roger, NA4RR.
So, I would think he would make his baseplate just as good as the K4KIO.
But, perhaps the DX Engineering baseplate is better ?

I don't know, one way or the other.

Like I said when I started this thread, I have zero plans to buy a Hex Beam. I own a Hy Gain Explorer 14 with the 40 meter add on kit. True, it does not have 12 and 17, except there is some gain on 12 off the Back of the Explorer 14.
Forget about 17 meters!

But, when I upgrade from my HY Gain Explorer 14, I am going to go to the Spider Beam!
So,  a Hex Beam is not in my plans, except to drool over the possibility of a 40 meter hex beam! But drool over a 40 meter beam is about all I can do.
I am on a small lot, trees and power lines everywhere.
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »

Hex Beams are very popular here in the Tampa Florida area, where I live. Until a few weeks ago, I only knew about the excellent performing K4KIO Hex Beams, and The Traffie Hex Beams. I can and did put up a larger antenna then a Hex Beam, so I have never really been in the market for one.
The Tampa area has a lot of snowbirds, winter only residents, who go back home in the summer. Many of these snowbirds are Hams, who want something small, that works decent. Thus, the Tampa Florida area is full of Hex beams.
I have recommended the K4KIO to several Hams for years, for those looking for a Hex Beam.
The K4KIO Hex Beam is based on Steve Hunt's G3TXQ design, and seems to work exactly as the computer models predicted, in the real world.
A few weeks ago, I was made aware of the NA4RR Hex Beam. It too is based on the G3TXQ design, but, it costs a LOT Less! It only sells for 398.00 DELIVERED, plus it comes with 6 meters as well!
AS soon as I checked it out, it kind of became a "no brainer" for me to recommend it over the considerably more expensive K4KIO design.

Well, my email has literally gone nuts, from Hams wanting to know more about this reasonably priced Hex Beam that NA4RR is making.

Us Hams help each other, and turn each other on to deals, when we can. I have been helped by my fellow Hams, so many times I lost track. So, now I want to "return the favor", and turn my fellow Hams on to what I see as THE Best Deal on a Hex beam.

I know of many Hams who bought the K4KIO Hex Beam, because I told them about the fine product he makes.
But now, I am pleased to say, they can have the exact same electrical performance G3TXQ designed, with 6 meters "thrown in", for over 200.00 LESS MONEY!

I have only been a Ham for 27 years. Many unselfish Hams elmered , and passed on deals to me along the way. These unselfish Hams taught me much about our Hobby, so now it is my turn to pass on a great antenna design, for very little money.

Here is the link http://na4rr.com/

Did you order one and put it up?

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KA7NIQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »

No Delwin, I did not! As I said in my post you quoted, that started this thread, I have no size limitations, except for turning radius (dont want to hit tree branches) and windload my self supporting Aluma Tower T 50 (10 sq ft) will handle.
I have the excellent Hy Gain Explorer 14. It only has 10,15, and 20, but is better on those bands then  the smaller, and less elements, Hex Beam.
It also has the 40 meter add on kit, and that does very well for me on 40 neters.

I do plan to upgrade my antenna one day, but to buy a smaller Hex Beam would be a downgrade, except for a windload reduction.

If I were able to upgrade, I have selected the Spider Beam as the best way for me to go, when all is said and done.

But not only do I not have the money to upgrade right now, I am not in the biggest hurry either!

The Hy Gain Explorer is  kind of a "sleeper" of a triband antenna, it really is.
KC8RPD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »

For a while I made available Hexbeam baseplates on the Yahoo group cnc machined from 1/4" 6061T6 aluminum plate.  There were a couple of mounting options and an option to include stainless U-bolts for mounting the spreaders, available from MaxGain systems. If there's any interest, I'll post a photo of the plate, and work up some current pricing (I'd bet material costs are up since I last made these).

Rich KC8RPD
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

You will be doing everyone a favor producing even cheaper hexbeams.

Hexbeam owners seem to be like a swarm of bees on the air now. So many stations using them and they certainly seem to work well.

It would be nice if every station who owns a  G5RV, Windom/OCF, vertical or bits of wire all buy a hexbeam. The success of these antennas speak for themselves.

I also notice that stations with hexbeams get on the air more and seem to be working the bands calling CQ like real hams, and because they have an effective antenna they are working the world.

If you cant afford a Optibeam or steppir  antenna get a hexbeam, they so close in performance that it does not matter. Nobody can measure or see 1 or 2 db difference between the Hexbeam and bigger antennas.

The point is that if you own  a hexbeam you will have a better signal than most other stations that use bits of wire and verticals.

I think the Hexbeam  gets my vote for the antenna of the decade  award.  The hexbeam is becoming the G5RV of beams. The big difference is that the hexbeams puts out  a signal that leaves the G5RV sounding like a dummy load.

Someone should pass a law that if you a ham and  you dont have a beam up already, it should be law that you go out and put up a hexbeam or your license will be cancelled! Even if its only on a 30ft pole.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: