Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single band 2m HT or dual band 2m/70cm???  (Read 7994 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »

I can't say whether a single band or dual band would be better for you, but the TH-K20 is a fantastic radio.  My TH-F6 has been collecting quite a bit of dust since I got the new one.

He can get a dual band 2M/440 Yaesu FT-60 for $145, which is one of the most popular HTs ever made. The TH-K20 is single band.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »

I can't say whether a single band or dual band would be better for you, but the TH-K20 is a fantastic radio.  My TH-F6 has been collecting quite a bit of dust since I got the new one.

He can get a dual band 2M/440 Yaesu FT-60 for $145, which is one of the most popular HTs ever made. The TH-K20 is single band.

I cannot not match the speaker audio level or quality of sound or feel of the K20 and no drop in charger

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 07:28:42 AM »

I can't say whether a single band or dual band would be better for you, but the TH-K20 is a fantastic radio.  My TH-F6 has been collecting quite a bit of dust since I got the new one.

I cannot not match the speaker audio level or quality of sound or feel of the K20 and no drop in charger

Well, that is in fact your opinion. Because sales numbers to not match what you think. It is consistently the top seller at HRO along with the Wouxon. And the biggest accessories sold are the RT systems software and the Diamond longer whip antenna. No one that buys them even cares about the drop in charger, even when I tell them it does not come with it. And it was not a deal killer for me. I have not see one come back or any complaints from anyone that has purchased them. They fly off the shelves. The Kenwood may be a good radio. But it is nowhere near as popular.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:32:41 AM by N4NYY » Logged
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:13 AM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but if you invest in a 2m/70cm HT, you can work FM satellites. Head over to the satellite forum if this sound interesting to you.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »

I can't say whether a single band or dual band would be better for you, but the TH-K20 is a fantastic radio.  My TH-F6 has been collecting quite a bit of dust since I got the new one.

It cannot not match the speaker audio level or quality of sound or feel of the K20 and no drop in charger

Well, that is in fact your opinion. Because sales numbers to not match what you think. It is consistently the top seller at HRO along with the Wouxon. And the biggest accessories sold are the RT systems software and the Diamond longer whip antenna. No one that buys them even cares about the drop in charger, even when I tell them it does not come with it. And it was not a deal killer for me. I have not see one come back or any complaints from anyone that has purchased them. They fly off the shelves. The Kenwood may be a good radio. But it is nowhere near as popular.

Not really a opinion because I have heard the audio on both and if they do not care about drop in charger it is maybe because they do not know that some come with it. Some HT features are like fancy wheels on a cheap car. They make it look and seem better for marketing but it does not change whats under the hood.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC0RZW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:02 AM »

I'm not telling him to get a single band radio.  But if he was going to, the TH-K20 is a good radio to get.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »

It cannot not match the speaker audio level or quality of sound or feel of the K20 and no drop in charger

Not really a opinion because I have heard the audio on both and if they do not care about drop in charger it is maybe because they do not know that some come with it. Some HT features are like fancy wheels on a cheap car. They make it look and seem better for marketing but it does not change whats under the hood.

Stop trying to mislead him. He asked if it was worth a couple bucks for 440. I am starting to think you work for Kenwood. I am not disputing that Kenwood is not a good radio. But you are not sticking to the subject. First you yourself said that you had to "battle" because you did not have 440. Then you mention that you get what you pay for in smaller battery and drop in charger.

Fact. Wouxon has a larger battery than the Kenwood and has a drop in charger.

Fact. Yaesu has a larger battery than the Kenwood. No one seems to care about the lack of drop in charger. Logistically, it is irrelevant.

Fact. Both outsell any 2M only of any brand, and also they outsell all 2M/440.

Fact. I have sold a ton of both the Wouxon and Yaesu, and have yet to sell a 2M only HT of any brand since I have been working there. The only 2M only stuff that I sell is mobiles. They seem to be pretty popular.

Fact. Yaesu is the king of all HTs, as they outsell every other brand when you combine all their models.

Fact. The feature are comparable to the Kenwood, and may exceed them.

Question was if it was worth a couple extra bucks to get a dual band.

Kenwood $145 - 2M

Yaesu $145 - 2M/440

Wouxon - $120 - 2M/440

Alinco - $129 - 2M/440

No brainer to me.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:02:50 AM by N4NYY » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »

I'm not telling him to get a single band radio.  But if he was going to, the TH-K20 is a good radio to get.

I fully agree on that. They make great stuff. Just not worth it in this specific case.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 08:22:08 AM »

Stop trying to mislead him. He asked if it was worth a couple bucks for 440. I am starting to think you work for Kenwood. I am not disputing that Kenwood is not a good radio. But you are not sticking to the subject. First you yourself said that you had to "battle" because you did not have 440. Then you mention that you get what you pay for in smaller battery and drop in charger.

Fact. Wouxon has a larger battery than the Kenwood and has a drop in charger.

Fact. Yaesu has a larger battery than the Kenwood. No one seems to care about the lack of drop in charger. Logistically, it is irrelevant.

Fact. Both outsell any 2M only of any brand, and also they outsell all 2M/440.

Fact. I have sold a ton of both the Wouxon and Yaesu, and have yet to sell a 2M only HT of any brand since I have been working there. The only 2M only stuff that I sell is mobiles. They seem to be pretty popular.

Fact. Yaesu is the king of all HTs, as they outsell every other brand when you combine all their models.

Fact. The feature are comparable to the Kenwood, and may exceed them.

Question was if it was worth a couple extra bucks to get a dual band.

Kenwood $145 - 2M

Yaesu $145 - 2M/440

Wouxon - $120 - 2M/440

Alinco - $129 - 2M/440

No brainer to me.

Not trying to misled anybody here. Point is again you get what you pay for. If 150 is budget then a dual bander would not be my first choice. Expect to pay a lot more for a decent one. Maybe you like radios that have tin can audio and a complex to operate/program but i prefer strong audio that can be clearly heard even in a noise environment and straight forward operation and feel good in hand too.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

Not trying to misled anybody here. Point is again you get what you pay for. If 150 is budget then a dual bander would not be my first choice. Expect to pay a lot more for a decent one. Maybe you like radios that have tin can audio and a complex to operate/program but i prefer strong audio that can be clearly heard even in a noise environment and straight forward operation and feel good in hand too.

Well, luckily most of the opinions I presented are from buyers of those radios I mentioned. And they do not agree with you. They seem to think that they got great radios. The real surprise is the Wouxons. Those have been called "disposable" and "Chinese crap". Yet I have not seen anyone one comeback bad, and the users love them. Most come back to buy more accessories. Or they convert their friends.

The 2M mobile category is a whole other argument. Kenwood and Yaesu rule the mobiles. Both fly off the shelf.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:25 AM »

Well, luckily most of the opinions I presented are from buyers of those radios I mentioned. And they do not agree with you. They seem to think that they got great radios. The real surprise is the Wouxons. Those have been called "disposable" and "Chinese crap". Yet I have not seen anyone one comeback bad, and the users love them. Most come back to buy more accessories. Or they convert their friends.

The 2M mobile category is a whole other argument. Kenwood and Yaesu rule the mobiles. Both fly off the shelf.

When I was at Hamvention 2012 I played with a lot of HT's on display in the noise there and you quickly found out which HT's had great audio out. Maybe that is not important to you but it is to me and if on a budget I would rather have a sturdy single band HT that can clearly be heard under less than idea conditions than one with tin can audio. But hey that is just me.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »

When I was at Hamvention 2012 I played with a lot of HT's on display in the noise there and you quickly found out which HT's had great audio out. Maybe that is not important to you but it is to me and if on a budget I would rather have a sturdy single band HT that can clearly be heard under less than idea conditions than one with tin can audio. But hey that is just me.

Exactly what percentage of use would the average user be subject to a Hamvention/hamfest situation? Little or none. I have had my FT-60 at loud hamfests. I have no problem with it. But that environment is the last place I would test an HT audio. I would test it in any environment that it would be used the vast majority of the time. Car, shack, work, etc.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:03:20 AM by N4NYY » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »

Exactly what percentage of use would the average user be subject to a Hamvention/hamfest situation? Little or none. I have had my FT-60 at loud hamfests. I have no problem with it. But that environment is the last place I would test an HT audio. I would test it in any environment that it would be used the vast majority of the time. Car, shack, work, etc.

Gee I thought one of the functions of a true HT was its ability to work well in any environment or weather not just controlled ones......
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:29:52 AM by W8JX » Logged

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

Gee I thought one of the functions of a true HT was its ability to work well in any environment or weather not just controlled ones......

As I said. My FT-60 worked perfectly fine at our club hamfest which was loud as he'll. And so did other brands.

K0WCC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »

LOL!!  Grin  This is just like the "Tow Vehicles" forum on RV.NET!  Shocked Grin

OK, just for a moment, lets forget about one band vs two band HT's.  Let's just talk about the bands themselves.  I am asking this because I really don't know. Does the 70cm band offer anything more than the 2m band, other than just additional frequencies to play with?  What can you "do" with 70cm that you can't with 2m, for instance?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: