Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single band 2m HT or dual band 2m/70cm???  (Read 9461 times)
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »

If you're in an area in which you can't make contacts on 2M (no repeaters around), there just MIGHT be a 70cm repeater.  Now, without 70cm capability, you can't talk on 70cm, right?  Like you MIGHT be able to if you'd bought the dual bander?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:32:20 PM »

Does the 70cm band offer anything more than the 2m band, other than just additional frequencies to play with?  What can you "do" with 70cm that you can't with 2m, for instance?

There is more spectrum available for 440 repeaters and HT's can work well with them in very large cities but 2m repeaters have more range and so does simplex. And as stated before 2m is better in heaver woods vs 440.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »

If you're in an area in which you can't make contacts on 2M (no repeaters around), there just MIGHT be a 70cm repeater.  Now, without 70cm capability, you can't talk on 70cm, right?  Like you MIGHT be able to if you'd bought the dual bander?

I have never seen that in my travels. Out in rural areas especially out west 440 is kind worthless unless in a big city.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »

Exactly what percentage of use would the average user be subject to a Hamvention/hamfest situation? Little or none. I have had my FT-60 at loud hamfests. I have no problem with it. But that environment is the last place I would test an HT audio. I would test it in any environment that it would be used the vast majority of the time. Car, shack, work, etc.

Gee I thought one of the functions of a true HT was its ability to work well in any environment or weather not just controlled ones......

I chimbed in earlier to point out features available on the FT-60R, many of which aren't in any other HT of this price.  Like expanded, multi-mode receive.  Useful for assisting in aircraft disaster work, and for monitoring several UHF bands.

One point not mentioned about audio, is that in truely noisy environments, any HT worn on the belt will not be heard.  That's why speaker-mikes are used.  Something to keep in mind.

I spend most of my time monitoring or scanning.  If I"m going to do band scans, I'd rather have flexibility ito scan several bands to monitor activity.  For the price, the FT-60R offers exactly what I want in band coverage.

Of course, I'm spoiled.  My mobile of choice is my FT-8900.  But, I go to the trouble of using single band whips to maximoze receiver and transmitter gain.  Of course, if I want to do crossband repeat, that's another story.

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »

I am in South Jersey and there are three 2M repeaters that run. Philly is about 30 miles away, and those hams tell me most run 440.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »

I am in South Jersey and there are three 2M repeaters that run. Philly is about 30 miles away, and those hams tell me most run 440.

When on the road I use a mobile not a HT, when on foot I use HT. BTW TH-K20 has built in vox and a lithium battery and only weighs 7 oz and stays charged for months on non use.  As far as scanning two bands at once it comes at a price. You get to zero mhz a lot quicker (dead battery) feeding two receivers in scan vs 1.

KD0RUR

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »

This is a no-brainer. Go with the dual band. They're only a few dollars more and it increases your capability. Also, when you get bored with repeaters, get an inexpensive arrow dual band yagi and work the sats.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.k6lcs.com%2Fk6lcs%2FDocs_files%2Fsatbr21.pdf&ei=vYjvUIu0HcLerAGukYHgDg&usg=AFQjCNFQlEip0yskMk894n9YbFM1A7J7cQ&sig2=x-55xCRD2CSx46V-m5gVmw&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »

This is a no-brainer. Go with the dual band. They're only a few dollars more and it increases your capability. Also, when you get bored with repeaters, get an inexpensive arrow dual band yagi and work the sats.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.k6lcs.com%2Fk6lcs%2FDocs_files%2Fsatbr21.pdf&ei=vYjvUIu0HcLerAGukYHgDg&usg=AFQjCNFQlEip0yskMk894n9YbFM1A7J7cQ&sig2=x-55xCRD2CSx46V-m5gVmw&bvm=bv.1357700187,d.aWM

A good dual bander is more than a few bucks more.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: