Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WSPR on 7040 QRP freq.  (Read 6653 times)
K9MOV

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »

I used to have many qso's with stations running old and/or xtal control Tx's and old Rx's(no notch, passband tuning and poor selectivity) on 7040 which used to be the QRP and old equipment freq. They all have been driven off by the new WSPR mode which is no more then a one way contacts. Some WSPR stations run 24/7( can't tell me they are attended) which is against the rules and regs. Also the software has no provision to check the freq. before txing causing interference to existing qso's. This mode is also made for LOW power(QRP?) txing, but many stations are running QRO to be heard.(DX)
I am not anti digital, but 40 meters now has digital from 7031 to 7100. The new QRP freq. is 7030, but that is used by QRO cw,dxing --etc.
 Where can we go to operate our QRP and old low power rigs. Many hams would have to buy new xtals for some other freq. so would want to make sure the new freq. would not be qrm'ed by digital modes.
 Any suggestions? I would suggest somewhere in the 7100 to 7125 segment, but then I am vfo controled and don't have to buy new xtals.
IDEAS Huh   THANKS    Lane--K9MOV ( 1957)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:10 AM »

As you suggest 7100-7125 is basically it for qrp theses days  on 40m along with 7058-7063 which is an active qrp nest especially with european dx in late afternoon.   
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »

I vote for 7060 kHz; easy to remember along with 3560, 14060, 21060, 28060 kHz.
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »

I like the 7060 suggestion, in fact had 2 qso's tonight on that freq. Little bit of weak rtty(eu) but otherwise fairly clear of digital sigs. I will be listening and working that freq. and if it does seem like a good fit for our QRP and BA needs, how would we get the word out to all the hams that would have to get xtals for the new freq. ?
Thanks--K9MOV--Lane
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:53:06 AM »

Re:K9MOV-"How would we get the word out"

I would suspect that both new and old hams interested in trying out qrp for the first time have done some basic research about it such as reading  the qrp forums here,on QRZ,and various articles on the subject,ect.and therefor deduce from the the self perceived pros and cons of qrp operation postings what is to be generally expected as to type of rig,frequencies and realization that they must fine tune their listening skills to have fun and enjoy this particular niche of amateur radio.By listening they will soon find the active slow speed and/or qrp frequencies on their band of interest.Checking out (QRPSPOTS.com) is also a useful tool for qrp propagation.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:55:37 AM by W1JKA » Logged
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess a lot of people are reading these forums because 7060 was a hotbed of activity today with a lot of QRP'ers using this freq.
 Thanks again--73
Lane--K9MOV
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »

I be there tomorrow. You will hear me by my squawk. 45 TNT on wood feeding a ground mounted magnetic loop. Go gentle. I am ok on cw but ok not great.
Don VE3LYX
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »

OUCH!  I have fallen into transgression and did not know it.  I had no idea QRP ops had been driven off 7040 khz and migrated to 7065 khz +/-  I have always stayed away from 7040 with my 500 watts.  Same with 7060 - I thought that was FISTS territory like 7055 is SKCC territory.  I have had great QSOs lately on 7065 and been thankful to be away from the digital crowd.  I had no idea you guys are QRP.  No one said anything about my strong signal and no one I have worked there has been signing their call with /QRP.  I guess they were glad to get an Idaho QSO.  Sounds to me like the heretofore silent void between 7060 and 7110 is starting to fill in.  That is a good thing.  I can find room in there away from you guys to make noise with my pair of 3-500Z "valves" - as the British say.  My thanks to whomever started this thread.  Otherwise I would not have known about "the new kids on the block" at 7065.  If my Call is not familiar to you it is because I usually operate between 3 AM and 6 AM Idaho time and most of you are in bed.  At that time of morning QRO rarely bothers anyone cuz not many ops are around.  I have been on the air for many decades and am reluctant to turn my QRO loose when the band is crowded during normal operating hours.  So, if you are one who cannot tolerate anyone running more than 100 watts, please remember I am also one of God's children and you are supposed to love me too  Smiley
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

I think the essence of this discussion is that there really isn't a good QRP watering hole on 40 meters. During the day when I'm sitting in the shack I keep the rigs on 14.060 and can pretty much know if there's activity. The old Argosy with its 2.4 kHz filter hears everything in that range. 40 meters is a different story. I monitor 7.030 quite a lot and can't recall the last QRP signal I've heard there, except maybe during contests. I also have several crystalled QRP rigs that I'd like to run on 40 but even now I'm not sure what frequency I'd want there. My AC-1 Junior had .030 and .040 but those freq's are pretty busy, especially with WSPR.

So my "vote" would be for either 7.060 or even 7.106, just to have a place to listen. Theres not much doing above 7.100 so that makes it prime real estate.

FWIW  Grin

DOC WB0FDJ. See you down the log.....

K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »

7106 sounds like a good proposal.  I haunt 7100 to 7125 regularly and find that regular activity usually starts at 7110 kHz.
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:42:58 AM »

I think many are missing the real point here regarding 7.40 (and other freq below 28.6 mhz), if you look at the waterfall for this frequency every day it gets whiter and whiter, with what looks like noise, many can't even get on the right frequency so it is even broader band than it should be.

WSPR'ing for 24/7 a day makes them 1) a beacon or 2) one way transmission, and not permitted on these frequencies (read the regs).  Even on the wspr.net many chastise anyone using the word "Beacon" as they don't what the "FCC to look at it that way"  If they mention "one way transmission" this almost creates hate mail on those forums.  I don't see how this can be interpreted any other way.

Not just QRP but the ham radio community has lost a freq to in my opinion illegal activity.  It is also my opinion that the FCC need to resolve this.  Just using the received station logs they could issue 100,000 citations per day.  Some of these stations have been continuously on 24/7 for months.  Some are running 500+ watts to just show they are a big gun stations.

this could easily be an OO haven if that program worked.  Another program broken for the last 15 years. 

To the OP who was concerned about running QRO on 7.40 that is not a problem, QRP ops are happy to work any cw stations.  Since QRP can no longer be heard at anytime on 7.040, I would welcome 1000 QRO CW stations on that freq making 24/7 qso's.

I love digital, no love for violators..   

Fred
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 07:30:14 AM »

...WSPR'ing for 24/7 a day makes them 1) a beacon or 2) one way transmission, and not permitted on these frequencies (read the regs).  Even on the wspr.net many chastise anyone using the word "Beacon" as they don't what the "FCC to look at it that way"  If they mention "one way transmission" this almost creates hate mail on those forums.  I don't see how this can be interpreted any other way.
...Fred

97.3 Definitions.
(6) Automatic control. The use of devices and procedures for control of a station when it is transmitting so that compliance with the FCC
Rules is achieved without the control operator being present at a control point.
(9) Beacon. An amateur station transmitting communications for the purposes of observation of propagation and reception or other
related experimental activities.
97.203 Beacon station.
(d) A beacon may be automatically controlled while it is transmitting on the 28.20–28.30 MHz, 50.06–50.08 MHz, 144.275–144.300
MHz, 222.05–222.06 MHz or 432.300–432.400 MHz segments, or on the 33 cm and shorter wavelength bands.

I am sure all WSPR stations on 40 meters have a licensed operator present during transmissions... otherwise they could be out of compliance. 

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

yea right, look at the receive logs.. many many stations transmitting for weeks on end 24/7, guess they drink enough to keep them awake.. Fred
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »

Contest week-ends are much more of a problem, when callers stalk 7030 and other QRP calling frequencies not even pausing for more than two seconds between calls, hours on end.. That is one reason the ARRL hasn't gotten a penny from me yet. When they get their members to stay off those frequencies during contests, I'll sign-up.. Thank God there is 30m, but that doesn't work well at night..

Gil.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »

Re: GILGSN  Reply #13

Wasn't ARRL a club that used to publish a practical monthly magazine for radio amateurs called QST? Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: