Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement VHF/UHF antenna for NMO-2/70 SH  (Read 3628 times)
NZ5E

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

I have a Larsen NMO-2/70B and an NMO-2/70 SH.  I can screw either antenna on an NMO hole mount in the top center of the cab of my Toyota Tacoma pickup.  I use the shorter NMO-2/70 SH on my pickup for collecting survey data and for hunting, to keep from hitting overhanging limbs and when I need more clearance.  The shorter SH model works comparably on 2 meters, but performs very poorly on 70 cm.

Is there another VHF/UHF antenna with an overall length of around 20 inches that has performance comparable to a quarter wave on both bands?

Thanks in advance,

Terry, NZ5E
WE7H

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »

Hey Terry,

For a number of years now I've had pretty good luck and what I've always felt was very good performance from my Diamond NR72B on both 2M and 70cm.  It's actually surprised me...to the good a few times.  It's running at a 4.6 rating here on eHam.  It's only about 13 3/4 inches tall.  I have it hard mounted to the body in the middle of my full size truck cab too...good ground plane. Street price is about 40 bux new.

Good Luck and happy New Year!

73, Ed, WE7H
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »

For a number of years now I've had pretty good luck and what I've always felt was very good performance from my Diamond NR72B on both 2M and 70cm...

I ordered a Diamond NR72BNMO to try and I will report on the performance compared to the Larsen NMO-2/70B, when it comes in next week.

I will always have the Larsen NMO-2/70B with me, for when I am in fringe areas and the higher gain NMO-2/70B should yield extra range.

Terry, NZ5E
WE7H

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:24:23 PM »

Hey Terry,

You should get good service from it.  I also have the Larsen center loaded 2/70 and carry it in the truck.  I rarely find the need to swap it out.  I'm in AZ and really only need to swap when I'm way out there in the boonies.  That's why I said I had been surprised a few times.  I was outside of town, made the swap and didn't really see a whole lot of improvement.  It's been a 5 out of 5 for me. Hope you find it the same.  One additional thing thing you might want to do is get a thin rubber washer from Ace or somewhere to give a good seal between the outside edge of the metal base of the antenna's NMO mount and the body of your truck.  That way it will snug up good without digging into the paint and gives a good weather seal as well.  I got a handful of them at a hamfest cheap.  That way when the sun eats one up, you have another one handy.

73, Ed
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:05:07 AM »

Don't waste your money on grossly over priced Japanese antennas that are poor performers at best. The best other than a Larsen is The Austin brand of antennas. The 500C is about $30.00 and is a great dual bander for 2M/440. I know HRO sells them and so does RF Wiz.

Jaime-KA3NXN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: