Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice Opening On 10 Today  (Read 1730 times)
K7KB

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »

Who said 10 meters was dead? Smiley We had a nice opening on 10 meters this morning from the West Coast to the Indian Ocean and Middle East, all via the Long Path. Worked VU2XO, A45XR, A65BP, and A92GR. I heard quite a few VE/W 6's and 7's working them as well so I'm not the only one who took advantage of the opening Smiley

John K7KB
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »

It's still going strong. Lots of long path connections to the Middle East from western USA today - 2 ATNO for me (and I'm stuck at work missing several others). It's nice to see the SFI (143) and SN (116) numbers going up again - highest they've been since early November.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »

I have wrote frequent posts in the past few months which stated 10 is open somewhere most everyday.  It is not always open for DX but the only way to be certain is to check out the band. Often it takes a CQ, or CQ DX, to ferret out those who are content to listen for something interesting.  I resorted to a CQ DX about a week ago and had many stations from across the pond answer.  There were no rare stations but the bands were in the doldrums and I wouldn't have worked anything exotic on 15 or 20, either. I worked about 30 European stations in an hour until I took a coffee break and this was when the SFI was hovering around 110.

I worked A45XR yesterday via the long path with a very good signal and although the long path to the Middle East is fairly common on 20 meters, that was the first time I worked a signal from Arabia via LP on 10 meters. There have been openings to South East Asia via long path since last fall.  During one week last October the long path to SE Asia was open for a week straight.  XX9THX , XV1X, several BY's, and VR2XMT are all stations I worked and the beam heading was not 180 degrees opposite the short path.  It was more like beaming to Brazil at ~155 degrees.

I missed today's morning opening but I had a feeling it would be in good shape today when I saw the jump in the SFI combined with very low A and K numbers along with the opening to Oman, and China earlier in the morning which I missed but saw on the cluster.

For those who have trouble working the harder zones over the pole, 10 meter long path maybe an easier way to work those areas. You have nothing to lose but some time.

I usually start the morning by checking out 10 meters around sunrise but with the short winter days it often takes an hour or so before there is any activity.  I start with the beam to Europe and the Mid-East but I do turn it South to listen for long path openings and those openings can be quite skewed. 

Chris/NU1O

KD2DAS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »

Very nice! I actually made my first HF contact today on 10m in the tech portion of the band (I am only a tech after all!)! Reached Montana on 100 watts! little hard to copy at times, but I'm sure with time my operation skills will increase.  I also then discovered after the QSO, that my filters were a little wacked out!

I'm only on an end-fed LnR 10m dipole about 20ft off the ground, strung across the inside beam that runs across my porch!
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »

Very nice! I actually made my first HF contact today on 10m in the tech portion of the band (I am only a tech after all!)! Reached Montana on 100 watts! little hard to copy at times, but I'm sure with time my operation skills will increase.  I also then discovered after the QSO, that my filters were a little wacked out!

I'm only on an end-fed LnR 10m dipole about 20ft off the ground, strung across the inside beam that runs across my porch!

That's great Jared!  Grin Hope you can make many more 10 meter QSO's. In October/November of 2011 we had a really nice opening on 10 meters where it was really hopping. Something similar happened this past fall, but not quite as good as the year before. I'm going to keep a watch on it for awhile to see what happens.

John K7KB
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »

I got UAE on both 10m and 12m today.  And Oman on 10m.  Very happy to see some good propagation.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »

I got UAE on both 10m and 12m today.  And Oman on 10m.  Very happy to see some good propagation.

Jonathan W6GX

I hope those are ATNOs for you.

Where did all of the sunspots come from?  The SFI was hovering around 100 until Thursday with the sunspot number as low as the mid-thirties and out of the blue we now have a SFI of 147 and the SN rockets to 167! Hopefully this is the move to the peak which we all have been waiting for.
It will be very disappointing if the SFI is back down to 100 in a week.

I was going to fool around in the RTTY Round Up but after each QSO my mouse would freeze up. After 5 contacts and a lot of frustration I called it quits after about 20 minutes.  I then loaded up Firefox which opens all my hams sites including the DX Summit. I saw a spot for Sigi, H40FN,  whom I have not been able to hook up with despite several 3 AM wake-ups when he was working all Europeans on 20. Also, he is scheduled to leave on the 7th so I had all but written him off. Luckily my amp was on and the beam pointed West so it was just a matter of switching bands to 15 and touching up the settings on the Alpha. He was just about 599. I gave a few calls zero beating the previous stations but it only took two QSOs to find out he was moving up after each contact. I went up about 100 Hertz from his last QSO and snagged him for #317. Thankfully, I could also hear the stations he was working.

There was a bunch of serendipity at play with this new one. If my mouse did not keep freezing up I would've likely stayed in the RTTY contest and since I had the browser off so I couldn't see cluster spots I would never have known he was on 15 CW working the US. I would really have been bummed out if I looked up his spots tonight and discovered he was working the US on 15 while I was fooling around in the RTTY Round Up, seeing as I am not a big fan of RTTY in the first place.

Sometimes luck is your best ally.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:28:30 PM by NU1O » Logged
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:35 PM »

Chris- that's great news on H40FN.  I did try to work him today but he went QRT just as his signal peaked up here.  His was on 17m.  I was thinking of you while I was trying to work him.  I'm glad it all worked out for you.  I didn't have any doubts that you'll get him.  I already have Sigi on 15m from Feb. of 2012.

Oman and the UAE are not ATNOs but they are new band fills for me.

Jonathan W6GX

I got UAE on both 10m and 12m today.  And Oman on 10m.  Very happy to see some good propagation.

Jonathan W6GX

I hope those are ATNOs for you.

Where did all of the sunspots come from?  The SFI was hovering around 100 until Thursday with the sunspot number as low as the mid-thirties and out of the blue we now have a SFI of 147 and the SN rockets to 167! Hopefully this is the move to the peak which we all have been waiting for.
It will be very disappointing if the SFI is back down to 100 in a week.

I was going to fool around in the RTTY Round Up but after each QSO my mouse would freeze up. After 5 contacts and a lot of frustration I called it quits after about 20 minutes.  I then loaded up Firefox which opens all my hams sites including the DX Summit. I saw a spot for Sigi, H40FN,  whom I have not been able to hook up with despite several 3 AM wake-ups when he was working all Europeans on 20. Also, he is scheduled to leave on the 7th so I had all but written him off. Luckily my amp was on and the beam pointed West so it was just a matter of switching bands to 15 and touching up the settings on the Alpha. He was just about 599. I gave a few calls zero beating the previous stations but it only took two to find out he was moving up after each contact. I went up about 100 Hertz from his last QSO and snagged him for #317.

There was a bunch of serendipity at play for this one. If my mouse did not keep freezing up I would've likely stayed in the RTTY contest and since I had the browser off so I couldn't see spots I would never have known he was on 15 CW working the states. Sometimes luck is your best ally.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »

Chris- that's great news on H40FN.  I did try to work him today but he went QRT just as his signal peaked up here.  His was on 17m.  I was thinking of you while I was trying to work him.  I'm glad it all worked out for you.  I didn't have any doubts that you'll get him.  I already have Sigi on 15m from Feb. of 2012.

Oman and the UAE are not ATNOs but they are new band fills for me.

Jonathan W6GX

You  have more faith in me than I do! I really did not think I was going to work him. First of all, he is on holiday so his sked is very irregular. It does seem his favorite time is around 0800 UTC, but at that time he is working Europeans. I got up a few nights at that time and saw the cluster spots but although I had a decent copy I just could not break through. Lastly, he is leaving on the 7th so the clock was running out.

If we did not have the huge jump in solar activity I highly doubt we would've had the opening on 15.

You were fast in replying so my post doesn't match your quotes. I did some editing.   Wink

I have four countries which I still need that are ranked higher on Clublog's most wanted list.  They are Timor Leste, Ducie, Willis I., and Tokelau.

73 and enjoy the good conditions!

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:43:41 PM by NU1O » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 02:59:46 PM »

I worked H40FN this morning just around dawn on 80m. About 10 minutes after I did he said that there was too much QRM and he was going QRT as a result. Everywhere I've heard him he's had a good signal. He's not a fast op and insists on real reports, too.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 03:17:26 PM »

I worked H40FN this morning just around dawn on 80m. About 10 minutes after I did he said that there was too much QRM and he was going QRT as a result. Everywhere I've heard him he's had a good signal. He's not a fast op and insists on real reports, too.

That is a very nice contact. Even with 1.5 kW I don't think my antenna is up to snuff to work anything in that part of the world on 80. I'm just running an inverted V with the apex at 55 feet. Each leg is about 70 feet. I'm using a Palstar AT5K Transmatch.

What are using for an 80 meter antenna and how high up is it?

Chris/NU1O
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »

That is a very nice contact. Even with 1.5 kW I don't think my antenna is up to snuff to work anything in that part of the world on 80. I'm just running an inverted V with the apex at 55 feet. Each leg is about 70 feet. I'm using a Palstar AT5K Transmatch.

Just an inverted Vee at about 68' AGL with a good, low takeoff angle in that direction. He wasn't too strong to my vee but on the K9AY loop, with the local noise nicely attenuated, he was strong enough to copy somewhat easily, with only minor fades. I'm using a Ten-Tec 238 tuner but would much rather have the Palstar. Too spendy for my budget and the T-T does as good a job.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »

Chris/NU1O

Well Chris, when I worked RZ0AF (01-01-2010) for my ONLY zone 18 80 meter QSO, I was using a Hustler 6BTV and 600 watts from my QTH in South Carolina.

(Even more fodder for my argument that you dont need a ton of aluminum at 100 feet to work DX.) Cool

73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »

Yes, one could even use a light bulb and work all continents.  Tom N6BT did just that to prove a point that 'everything works'.  But how well does it work?  If your question is whether it's possible to work DX using a bed spring or a light bulb you have the answer already.  If you are wondering how much better a yagi is to a vertical not near salt water then you should read the book 'Array of Light' by N6BT.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX

Chris/NU1O

Well Chris, when I worked RZ0AF (01-01-2010) for my ONLY zone 18 80 meter QSO, I was using a Hustler 6BTV and 600 watts from my QTH in South Carolina.

(Even more fodder for my argument that you dont need a ton of aluminum at 100 feet to work DX.) Cool

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »

Yes, one could even use a light bulb and work all continents.  Tom N6BT did just that to prove a point that 'everything works'.  But how well does it work?  If your question is whether it's possible to work DX using a bed spring or a light bulb you have the answer already.  If you are wondering how much better a yagi is to a vertical not near salt water then you should read the book 'Array of Light' by N6BT.  GL.

Jonathan W6GX

Chris/NU1O

73, Gene AF3Y

I was testing out SignaLink and the software one afternoon on RTTY. I had the other station's call typed into the program and I sent what I thought would be a simulated QSO to my dummy load. I know the DL has leakage as the guy on the next street can copy me and I often hear fairly strong signals when on the DL, but when the station in Washington state came back with, "NU10 599 WA de W7**" I almost fell out of the chair. That's a "little" bit too much leakage but I was running 1500 watts so even if 1% got through it's almost 50 watts of ERP.

Chris/NU1O

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: