Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HEARING SLOW SPEED ON 40 METER CW  (Read 2733 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »

Guys,

I hearing slow code 7 to 10 wpm on 7.115 last night and today i know theres lotta guys are new to cw and hard of hearing like myself ! i'm going to use headphone to hear cw,i'm going to start out maybe 7 and maybe try 10 depand how well i can copy, problem is i cant write fast enuff ! it going take time get code down 2 things i use

1.KOCH program
2. on my way to work and going home ! listening cd called:rhtym of the code

So this way i can stay on top of it ! sooner or later or when ever i'm ready to send out code ,i'm going to start slow and work my way to 10 wpm.

I know i can do this ! But it will take long to relearn the code again !  Undecided

Jackie
N4MJG
Been Hamming since 2001
General Lic. since 2007
Pass the code  since 2006 before they drop the code !
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

Sounds like fine plan to me Smiley

I suspect you are hearing more slow code lately because it's new years day.  "Straight Key Night starts at 0000 GMT on 1January every year.  Lots of folks break out the straight keys and some of them fire up the old tube rigs of yesteryear just for SKN.

Even without the new year straight key party, there's usually a good bit of slow code happening on the 40M band.  I think half of my log is 40M QSO's.

I prefer listening to actual QSO's over computer practice. It's especially helpful if I can tune in a QSO running near my speed limit, where I can hear both parties reasonably well.  Max speed gets exhausting pretty quickly though.  I think time spent copying at easy speeds is still helpful.

For me, the greatest improvement came when I switched from paper copy to head copy.  That was the point where code changed from work to enjoyment for me.

Since the XYL works nights, I have a SW radio next to the bed.  I've been lulled to sleep by the dulcet sounds of CW on more than a few nights.  Unfortunately, this leads to the occasional rude awakening at 3am, when a strong station starts calling on the frequency where I left the radio Smiley

Well, best of luck with the code work.  Hopefully, since you are re-learning, it will come back quickly for you.

73  mike
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 06:49:16 PM »

Jackie:  Never mind how long it takes you to learn the code or get you speed up.  The best thing to do is to keep at it and don't give up.  Also, while you're learning the code and getting your speed up..... enjoy yourself!

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

Jackie, I'd say just get on the air and start making contacts at 7 wpm or whatever you're comfortable with.

People with hearing problems often hear some pitches better than others, so tune in the "other" station to a pitch that's good for you and your hearing; you'll likely be "close enough" to his frequency that unless he's using an incredibly narrow CW filter, he'll hear you even if you're a few hundred Hz off.  No big deal.

In my experience (I taught code classes for about 20 years -- a lot of students), if you make 5 CW contacts a day, every day for one month, you'll be pretty good after 30 days.  Keep it up for six months and you'll be very good.  One week's worth of "making contacts" and having QSOs is equivalent to about a year's worth of listening to code practice tapes, CDs, programs, etc. for most people.

Remember, half of knowing the code is knowing how to send it; listening to it doesn't help with that.
KH2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

Don't try to write down everything unless it's message traffic. name/qth kids name etc is plenty
73 and enjoy
Dick KH2g
WJ0J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »

Jackie,

You might also want to listen lower in the band where the "regular" (fast) code can be heard. I am often heard fairly slow close (I would guess 10-12 wpm) lower in the band ... below 7.050 Mhz. It is certainly not common, but I have found slow code there when I cannot any action in the 7.110-7.115 range.

See you on the band. I try to copy at least 1 qso and make one 1 qso every day.

Jaiwant Mulik.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: