Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: signalink/ts450s puzzle  (Read 2003 times)
KM4IY

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:23:23 AM »

i have the signalink and ts450s working great together.  i've made several contacts and have good reports.  BUT, once in a while, the signalink becomes obstinate and refuses to key the rig...

i can't pinpoint any particular reason that sets it off.  AND, i can't put my finger on exactly what i'm doing to bring it back.  i try turning the interface off for a bit and then on, i've tried turning the rig off for a bit and then on, i've tried turning them both off and on.  i've adjusted the levels all over the place... is it me? or a flaky interface?  i'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, and i don't think i'm all that dim, but maybe moreso than i realize.

oh, i'm using the digitalmaster 780 software... i have the cat interface ordered and in transit. but it works fine without it.

any thoughts?

many thanks
KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »

aaargghhhh!!!!!! driving me nuts!!!! did it again in the middle of a contact!!!!
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:42:58 PM »

It's possible that you're not driving the SignaLink hard enough to trigger its VOX circuit.

An experiment:

. . . Raise the TX output level _in your PC software_, by 50%, if that's possible.

. . . If necessary, compensate by turning down the Signalink's "TX" knob to eliminate ALC in the rig.

Maybe that's the problem, maybe not.

.        Charles
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »

The other likely cause:

. . . Bad connection in the PTT circuit.

Check the jumper wires inside the SignaLink, and the cable that goes to the rig, and so on.

I assume that you're using the SignaLink's PTT control (which is automatic, VOX-controlled).  The FT-450 will also work with "digital VOX", but the DIG VOX menu item has to be at 99 or 100 for good results.

Actually, using the FT-450's DIG VOX menu item would be a good workaround, for a problem in the SignaLink's VOX circuitry.

.           Charles
KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

thank you for taking time to reply to this.  i believe i have narrowed the problem to the cables, maybe.   the last time it happened, i pulled the cables from the back of the interface and reseated them.  it began to work and did so all afternoon.  20 meters was active and i made several solid contacts with good reports.

the next time it happens, i'll make sure to reseat only ONE cable at a time to find out which it is. 

could this be linked to a problem i had earlier?  the interface would only key the radio while the radio was in FSK mode. 

KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:50 PM »

nothing seems to work when it goes crazy like this.  it worked all day yesterday, several hours last night, and all this morning... i came in while ago, worked a station, took the dogs out, came back in and it is crapped out again...

it will key the rig, but there's NO power out... i've adjusted all the parameters and knobs i can find to adjust...

ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

for no apparent reason, to me... it flakes out with no warning... WHAT AM I MISSING!?!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

Maybe you computer hardware. What are you using and its configuration?

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
KM4IY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »

i think we can lay the blame on a cable.  if i hold it in just the perfect position it works, otherwise, its a brick.  i have a 2nd cable for another rig... it works with that one.   i emailed this info to tigertronics and they are supposed to send another cable.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »

USB cables are _very_ sensitive to "RF in the shack".  We had a problem two Field Day's ago -- very nasty to find.

But the fix was simple:

. . . A clip-on ferrite on each end of the USB cable.

If it's not loose, maybe it's picking up stray RF.  If your antenna is close to the rig, or you're not using a balun, "RF in the shack" is a good bet.

.           charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: