Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pulse" Noise on 60 and 40 Meters....  (Read 936 times)
W5GNB

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »

Is there some sort of new "Woodpecker" starting up on the 60 and 40 meter bands Huh?
In the early morning hours here in New Mexico, I hear a heavy amount of QRM being generated with Pulse noise on these bands.  Sounds like some sort of Over-the-Horizion Radar or something of that nature..
Any ideas what this may be HuhHuhHuh

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:50:32 AM »

If it was the "woodpecker" it would be on band at a time and have a bandwidth of about 100 kHz. I have not heard such a signal on 40 meter CW.

If the noise you are hearing is on both bands at the same time it is local.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:32 AM »

Two weeks ago someone from California was complaining about similar noise on the Yahoo 60 meter group. We're secondary users of 60 so you hear governmental crud at times.

BTW, hams were very effective in getting the ocean research CODAR moved off the band about a year ago.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »

Is there some sort of new "Woodpecker" starting up on the 60 and 40 meter bands Huh?
In the early morning hours here in New Mexico, I hear a heavy amount of QRM being generated with Pulse noise on these bands.  Sounds like some sort of Over-the-Horizion Radar or something of that nature..
Any ideas what this may be HuhHuhHuh  

Yes, I've heard this on 40M, often in the CW portion around 20 to 40 kHz wide and persistent; very nasty at times.  K3VAT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: