Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: master oscillator problem ft-980  (Read 3696 times)
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »

Quote from: KA1SMC
Ah, cmon', not fair.
I have been racking my brain so hard that rust is falling out my ears.
"Vinnie", ..."Vinnie"
Please elaborate or Explain.
Steve --

You focused on Uma Thurman (Irene Cassini) that you forgot about Ethan Hawke (Vincent Anton Freeman/Jerome Eugene Morrow), her future husband (now ex) in film.  Vinnie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

Quote from: KA1SMC
I saw that movie just recently, and as old as I am, I thought that movie was excellent.
I guess that I am still a "Good" Science Fiction nut.
Rent the movie, a second time.
This movie has "many layers", that are complex and some funny.
Art direction & production design was nominated for several awards.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed building (Marin County, CA Civic Center).
The height jokes are pure Danny DeVito ... who then casts the very tall Uma T.
Uma's character last name is: Cassini.  Discoverer of Saturn's 4 moons and destination for Vincent's mission.
Gore Vidal's cameo, who passed in 2012, is humorous in scenes with Adam Arkin -- who looked more like Peter Falk (Columbo).
The futuristic cars were classic 1950s, early 1960s designs.  See the Studebaker Avanti ?
Ernest Borgnine and Tony Shalhoub (Monk), had cameos.

I am planning on buying a DVD of that movie.
I admit that I didn't watch it that carefully and I do watch favorite movies multiple times to get the finer details. I started doing this in the early 1980's when the movie Alien first became available on the RCA CED video disc format.

I remember the "awe" look of the movie most. A part of it reminded me of the
antiseptic and somewhat barren look of the space station in the movie "2001",
God, I hate when something looks too clean and too orderly, the scenes inside some of the buildings reminded me of that.

I thought that at least one of the buildings might have been from Frank Lloyd Wright , I wasn't too sure if it was a real building or a reconstuction, as I remember a recent movie called "The International"; basically they rebuilt a replica of a pretty big portion of the New York Gutenberg Museum on stage. I guess that the owners of the museum  didn't want 4,000 squibs going off in their interior to represent the prolonged "machine gun" fight scene.  

My eye was indeed also caught by the "futurist/retro" automobiles. I remember many movies that are still trying to improve upon some of the classic experimental cars of the early 1950's-late 1960's, I mean, how many movies had a variation of the GM 1953-1959 Firebird I and Firebird II and Firebird III gas turbine engine automobiles represented in some way. Those 50 plus year old cars would blow away any production car anyone has ever seen this century and most of last century.

Oh well, don't want to dwell too long on this thread, as this thread was intended to answer a different question about a different problem, from a different person.

"May the Swartz be with you".

Steve KA1SMC (formerly since 1976 KA1BIN)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:54:03 PM by KA1BIN » Logged
WT4T

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:13 AM »

REPLACED THE CRYSTAL on the master oscillator with the new one from yaesu and also the 2 padding caps on the adjustable cap. the oscillator is now stable on 30mhz, dial is right on to frequency and all is well.
      steve ,nice dissertation on frequency counters,who cares, but shows your total lack of understanding or how to correct these problems. the piblished specs on the 30mhz oscillator ,was just that 30mhz. not + or -.
      anyway problem fixed, with knowledge,not bullshit.
dale
KA1BIN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »

REPLACED THE CRYSTAL on the master oscillator with the new one from yaesu and also the 2 padding caps on the adjustable cap. the oscillator is now stable on 30mhz, dial is right on to frequency and all is well.
      steve ,nice dissertation on frequency counters,who cares, but shows your total lack of understanding or how to correct these problems. the piblished specs on the 30mhz oscillator ,was just that 30mhz. not + or -.
      anyway problem fixed, with knowledge,not bullshit.
dale

That is great, glad to hear it.
Too bad your mother didn't wash out your mouth with more soap when you were younger.

But I guess that simply shows your low class, doesn't it?
And maybe a newer Ham who isn't as smart as you would like to learn the concept
of test equipment accuracy and how it is validated.

KA1SMC
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:08:21 PM by KA1BIN » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »

REPLACED THE CRYSTAL on the master oscillator with the new one from yaesu and also the 2 padding caps on the adjustable cap. the oscillator is now stable on 30mhz

Sadly, though, you don't know which part was the problem.  A good learning opportunity was lost.  Had you replaced the caps. first and THEN the crystal, if necessary, as I had suggested, you would have known which component was the source of the trouble.  Shotgunning a repair is a last resort measure and rarely used by professional techs., unless time is a major factor.  Certainly not the case here.
Oh well!  Guess you got what you wanted.  And, NO, your oscillator is likely NOT "right on the money" in spite of what you believe.  All components have operating tolerances and NONE, even the atomic clocks, is PERFECT.  Instead of criticizing Steve's comments, you should reread them and learn from them.  No sense losing TWO learning opportunities.
Tom
WT4T

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 09:18:27 AM »

sadly, I wasted about 10 cents with the two caps. since the 2 caps and one leg of the crystal were on the same solder pad,which had seen a bit of rework, in the past , prudence said , one pass of the iron would be better than 3. Old Yaesu boards were not the best ever made. How ever with all that being said, thanks for all the comments.
dale
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »

since the 2 caps and one leg of the crystal were on the same solder pad,which had seen a bit of rework, in the past , prudence said , one pass of the iron would be better than 3

Agreed.  Didn't consider that possibility.  No sense tempting fate.
Tom
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: