Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna tuner on resonate antenas  (Read 1098 times)
N4ZY

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »

all my antennas are resonate antennas. question is"would a t network tuner help me get more coverage on my 80 delta loop.my 10 meter portion of Ten meters. they are all cut for the cw portions of the bands.(low end). never had a tuner before so dont know for sure???
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »

Yes an antenna tuner will allow you to operate your resonant antenna away from resonance. I've used many tuners and my favorite inexpensive tuner is the MFJ-901B.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »

yes it will help, or goto a steppir, which tune from one end to the other.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

I infer that you're using wire antennas.  Actually, all wire antennas are a resonant antenna, even on multiple frequencies. 

But to address your question - well it depends.  Certainly, it is difficult for any transmitter to cover the one half megahertz on the 80M/75M band, so as WX7G pointed out an antenna tuner will allow you to operate far up into the phone portion of 75M.  On 10M you should be able to go up to 28.5 or more with manageable SWR (i.e., < 2:1), especially if you are using either a tube transceiver or tube amplifier.  This equipment can tolerate higher levels of SWR before starting to misbehave.  My Ameritron amps could tolerate ~ 3:1 SWRs allowing me to easily operate around 29.0 with my 10M antenna.   I didn't see the power levels that you are running ... something like the MFJ-901B might be ideal for you.  GL
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »

Being a CW nut, I've always cut my wire antennas to resonance at the low end of the bands and have used matchbox for the excursions up into the SSB area of the bandplan.  Have even done the same with certain types of pretuned verticals. 

My impressions, nothing more serious than years of empirical observation from doing the above, plus a couple or three times trying it the other way around, in other words, a shorter wire tuned to the ssb portion of a band and trying to use the "tuner" to load up in the CW portion, it seems to me that using the longer wire and tuning it for the shorter end of the band has always been the better of the two options. 

Of course, changing the feedline from rather lossy coax to balanced line and placing the proper balun type at tuner or using a tuner that has one inside and balanced line connects is the better of the two feedline options IMO. 

But time and experience have convinced me that using an antenna cut for the CW portion of the band with tuner to reach the ssb band segment can raise a lotta hell.  YMMV

And, rather than bypass the tuner when in the CW band, try using it anyway down there as well.  Even though the wire is resonant.  At that point, depending upon a few factors, tuner design, winter elements on the wire, etc. the tuner can seem to act as an ersatz preselector of sorts. 

K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 08:36:37 AM »

Being a CW nut, I've always cut my wire antennas to resonance at the low end of the bands and have used matchbox for the excursions up into the SSB area of the bandplan.  Have even done the same with certain types of pretuned verticals.  My impressions, nothing more serious than years of empirical observation from doing the above, plus a couple or three times trying it the other way around, in other words, a shorter wire tuned to the ssb portion of a band and trying to use the "tuner" to load up in the CW portion, it seems to me that using the longer wire and tuning it for the shorter end of the band has always been the better of the two options.  Of course, changing the feedline from rather lossy coax to balanced line and placing the proper balun type at tuner or using a tuner that has one inside and balanced line connects is the better of the two feedline options IMO.  But time and experience have convinced me that using an antenna cut for the CW portion of the band with tuner to reach the ssb band segment can raise a lotta hell.  YMMV And, rather than bypass the tuner when in the CW band, try using it anyway down there as well.  Even though the wire is resonant.  At that point, depending upon a few factors, tuner design, winter elements on the wire, etc. the tuner can seem to act as an ersatz preselector of sorts.  73

Good points KE3WE, but I need to ask: what is an ersatz preselector?
N4ZY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »

Thanks all for the responce.
    my antennas are >>>>1 2el 30 meter quad. needs no help.
                                   1 80 meter delta loop, phone portion needs help.
                                   1 2 el beam 40 meters,phone portion
                                   1 3el tri bander with warc add on.   Phone bans.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »

Good points KE3WE, but I need to ask: what is an ersatz preselector?

I'll never tell anyone who messes up my call like that.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: