Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FV-901 power connection?  (Read 2169 times)
HARDEDGE

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »

Anyone know the correct pins on the 4-pin FV-901 power block that are used for AC power? I have a cable and I have the 4-pin connector (from an FT-225/221), but I just don't want to plug it in and blow it up. I've checked the manuals on line and they don't seem to address the issue. Thanks for any help.

-O'B.
ex-KA2MKI
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

The Yaesu FV-901 remote VFO used a Cinch Jones 4-pin MALE connector (chassis mount) for POWER.
Mating connector is 4-pin FEMALE Cinch-Jones.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/fv901dma.html

CAUTION: Like MANY 1960s and 1970s radios from Japan --- this connector can be wired for AC Line Voltage OR  13.8 VDC !!!!  Equipment damage by non-technical operators COMMON.
FUSES must be correct, depending if AC or DC is selected.
I have wired these -- BUT always use DVM and physical inspection to confirm wiring before energizing.

FV-901DM Instruction Manual
PAGE 5 covers proper jumper of AC primaries for your specific country voltages (100,110,120, 220, 240)
http://www.cnyara.com/_manuals/index.php?dir=Yaesu%2F&download=FV-901DM_Instruction_manua.pdf

==
INTERCONNECTIONS
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?369772-Interfacing-the-Yaesu-FV-101DM-VFO-to-FT-901DM-radios
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:08:08 PM by W9GB » Logged
HARDEDGE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »

Thank you. I have that info. What I need to know is which of the pins on the Cinch Jones are for the AC main. The power cords from the FT-221 and FT-225 look the same but I need to know if I need to rewire them for the FV-901. The manual doesn't appear to have that info.

-O'B
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »

CORRECT, it doesn't.  A schematic diagram for the FV-901DM would likely show, but I have never seen one for this accessory.  Yaesu never expected owners to lose power cords, and sold pre-manufactured DC power cord.

I assume you have NO technical skills or knowledge to determine yourself by opening case properly?
No Self-Reliance?

Two wires will go to AC transformer primary,
other two wires will go to CHASSIS GROUND, and 13.8 VDC rail inside the radio.
Only ONE pair can be used at a time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:28:25 PM by W9GB » Logged
HARDEDGE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:02 PM »

Why be insulting? I'm not lazy nor am I stupid. I have severe carpal tunnel after 32 years as a freelance writer and peripheral neuropathy derived from my diabetes.. Translation: I'm in pain 24/7 to varying degrees --depending on how long it's been since I took my Cymbalta capsule or the six Bayer Advanced aspirins that are my daily medication regimen. My overall dexterity -hands and legs- is compromised. While I can open the case and do a visual inspection, it would be painful. (Typing this, as you might imagine, is excruciating, thank you.)

So perhaps you'll forgive me if I ask the question first to limit the amount of activity --and pain-- I need to experience. If you do not know the answer to the question I asked, it might be better to say nothing at all rather than jump to some outlandish speculation. If this board doesn't allow questions, just say so and I won't ask.

BTW: I didn't lose the power cable  --nor did I lose the data connect cable. They weren't included in the transaction and I'm trying to see how badly I got screwed on eBay before 30 days are up and I can't get a refund.

Thanks.

-O'B.
ex-KA2MKI
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:03:08 PM »

May be you can locate a Yahoo group for the FV-901. There are many different Yaesu groups. Those groups are mostly very helpful.
The only immediate solution to your problem is reverse engineering the connections as already proposed. Perhaps you can get support from a local ham if need be.
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »

Sorry bill for the comment that Gregory made. It was totally uncalled for. I spent 45 years in electronics and I can sympathise with your disabilities as my eye sight is failing and my lower back hurts most of the time.
I don't have an answer to your question but if I lived in your area I would have been happy to have come over and helped sort out the problem. As one person stated, a Yahoo Yaesu group could probably help. I know those groups are a wealth of good information.

Good Luck & 73s,
Win (KB5ZSM)
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:53:59 PM »

Quote from: KB5ZSM
I spent 45 years in electronics and I can sympathise with your disabilities as my eye sight is failing and my lower back hurts most of the time.
Intent was not to be insulting, I have spent 40 years in electronics and amateur radio, as well.
Quote from: KA4POL
The only immediate solution to your problem is reverse engineering the connections as already proposed. Perhaps you can get support from a local ham if need be.
AS POL notes, I already suggested reverse engineering and you need LOCAL assistance (Elmer), if you are unable (which you confirmed).

Older Japanese equipment of the late 1960s to early 1980s often have poor documentation OR lack the schematics and pictorial diagrams.  WHY?  
Documents were written in Japanese and English translations (technical), at that time were not always complete or accurate.  Drawings were rare and schematics often incomplete.
This means physical examination to assure proper connections -- especially when you are dealing with POWER connections.  
This is where Internet is NOT ideal, and HANDS ON Elmer is necessary.
===
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:02:05 PM by W9GB » Logged
HARDEDGE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »

If you had said that in the first place, instead of
I assume you have NO technical skills or knowledge to determine yourself by opening case properly? No Self-Reliance?
I might be more inclined to believe you were being sincere now. Unfortunately, first impressions are difficult to erase. Besides, it shouldn't be all that difficult to point out, "it's the two horizontal tabs," or, the two vertical tabs," if you know the answer and aren't looking to simply posture.

-O'B.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:58:29 PM by HARDEDGE » Logged
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »

Besides, it shouldn't be all that difficult to point out, "it's the two horizontal tabs," or, the two vertical tabs," if you know the answer and aren't looking to simply posture.
The Japanese radio mfg. (Big 3) were inconsistent -- and market competitive (capitalism), changes occurred between models of same mfg.

ONE approach is to have the 2 vertical blades used for AC, like old NEMA 1 plugs and receptacles.
The 13.8 VDC would be wired to the 2 horizontal blades, with one blade attached to chassis - IF a DC NEGATIVE Ground is used.
===
Besides, it shouldn't be all that difficult to point out,
You have to assure above -- reverse engineer -- and I take no responsibility, for hook-ups without doing that step.
As you stated, should not be all that difficult for you to do.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:25:59 PM by W9GB » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: