Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bencher By-1 vs By-2?  (Read 7002 times)
K7NSW

Ignore
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

Have decided to try the Bencher BY key.  I have used the BY-1 and like it.  Is the BY-2 anything more than the other key with a chrome plated finish?
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »

It also costs more.
I have acquired both in trades in the past. Didn't like them. It annoyed me that the paddles could unseat and flop around so easily when moved around. They sell a lot of them though and a lot of people do like them. Just not my thing.
I think the chrome Bencher looks better than the gold one.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:38 AM »

I used the by1 for years and found that it worked well for me after ajusting it and tightening it a lot.  I have since bought and used a Bencher single key ST-2 which for me was about the same as the BY-1. 

I now use a Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe paddles.  I love the look and feel of the Vibroplex.  I am not a speed demon and work mostly 14-24 wpm.  I do some dxing at a faster rate but since the qso's are very short so its easy enough to go a little faster for a short time.  So I don't feel the need to "up grade" my paddles. I think a lot of the faster ops may be able to fully use more expensive and perhaps better paddles. 

If I were starting out with paddles I would get the BY-1 again and not the more expensive crome plated version.  The only draw backs to me were losing the setting because the set screw was not tight enough and the paddles are a little flexable.  I am certain this will differ depending on how you operate, I tend to be a little heavy handed. 

After some experience and perhaps checking out other hams paddles you will want to spend a lot more on an upgrade in  paddles.  Best of luck and enjoy the experience.
73 Mike KE4ILG
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »

I have owned used a Bencher BY-1 since the early 80's. I like mine; it's a good key if you have a light touch.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »

I'm no expert, but I've owned a couple of both over the years.  As far as I can tell (at least with the old ones I've had), they're the same paddles, only the base is different, and even that is just the finish, not the base itself.  I really like the Bencher paddles--I like the feel and they seem to work really well, at least for me.  GL 73!
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »

Received my new BY-1 yesterday.  I love it.  Fits me perfectly right out of the box.  Obviously high quality materials and workmanship.  Made in USA - a big deal with me.  It has gold plated silver contacts.  It's a keeper.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:41 AM »

There's no difference between the BY-1 and BY-2 except for the chrome plated base.  If you really like chrome then get the '2'...
 - 'Doc
K7NSW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »

Been using the BY-1 for a while now.  One thing I have read and do not understand.  Some guys say the key is not heavy enough to stay in one place because they "slap it around".  You gotta be kidding.  This thing is solid and stays where I put it.  I would really have to smack it to get it to move.  So, if what those guys are reporting is true, then ham radio has a new mode: GCW - Gorilla CW!  IMHO of course.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »

Been using the BY-1 for a while now.  One thing I have read and do not understand.  Some guys say the key is not heavy enough to stay in one place because they "slap it around".  You gotta be kidding.  This thing is solid and stays where I put it.  I would really have to smack it to get it to move.  So, if what those guys are reporting is true, then ham radio has a new mode: GCW - Gorilla CW!  IMHO of course.

I normally don't slap a key around, but if rare DX comes on that I need, I'll often subconsciously start slapping the key around in my excitement. That was enough to knock my BY-1 out of kilter, so now I use a Bencher Hex key, which is much more robust.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »

No difference except the price and is shinny. If you like all chrome then get the BY-2. If you like all gold then get the BY-3. if you like black and gold get the BY-4.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:15 PM »

I just acquired a used BY-2.  The rubber feet were hard and dried out.  I slid all over the place.  I went to the hardware section of my local home improvement center and got new stick on feet.  PROBLEM SOLVED.  These are my first set of paddles.  So far I am liking them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: