Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Rotor turns in one direction only  (Read 809 times)
K1MWT

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »

I have a Yaesu G-800SA rotor turning a Hex Beam on a 40ft tower. After a year, it will now only turn right (cw). Overlap prevents going past south. Of course this happens in the dead of winter with little chance to drop the tower and try to figure this problem out. Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions? This is the second Yaesu rotor that I have had problems with. You would think I would have learned my lesson. Any recommendations for a reliable rotor for an antenna this size would also be appreciated.

thanks,
Mark
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »

could it be that one of the wires in the rotator control cable is open, rather than a problem in the rotator itself ?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »

Yaesu G-800SA Antenna Rotator & Controller User Manual
http://www.yaesu.com/downloadFile.cfm?FileID=818&FileCatID=155&FileName=G%2D800SA%5F1000SA.pdf&FileContentType=application%2Fpdf

The "easy problem" is a broken wire between the Control box and Rotator up the tower.
You can read the schematic, in the manual, for the more difficult problems.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:05:56 AM »

An ohmmeter might be the troubleshooting tool to use from comfort of your heated shack.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »

probably a broken wire, most likely at a connector, either on the back of the rotor, or the back of the controllor, or where it goes through or around something. look for the "wear" points first, do a google and get a schematic and ohm out the wires,
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »

I'd speculate that one of the limit switches in the rotor is stuck (assuming that you can see that the rotor is really only turning in one direction and that it is not just an indicator issue). If it were a control wire then I don't think the rotor would turn in either direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: