Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is 160M this Winter?  (Read 4534 times)
PE5T

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »

Just wrkd K9FD/KH6 just in my ss peaking on 1823.5!

Kees
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »

Last night conditions were great to the Southern Hemisphere.  I worked ZS4TX a couple of minutes past his sunrise (this was a new zone for me on 160m); then went to bed & got up a few hours later just in time to catch ZL1BYZ cq'ing at his sunset.  I worked him after giving the Europeans on frequency a chance to get him.  (This was only my second ZL ever heard on 160m).   Both the ZS and the ZL had outstanding signals, and I copied them easily using my MA160V Tx antenna. 

Chuck  NI0C
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »

WOW - you guys are tearing it up - 160M is just too much fun.
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »

My new total is 112 on Top band with 100 watts. New ones worked this season : PT0 D4 6V RI1 V5 KH2 KL7 ZS MD0 OX  J77 A45 Zk VP2M

Some nights I hear Europe stations S9. When I worked the ZS he was Solid S9 for 5 min.

Heard but NOT  worked for new one PY / 5T/ 5N / 5X /D3/9K/A9/ JA / UA0 might me one or two more if I could remember .

Some nights many stations on with good signals from Europe then maybe the next night poor conditions . What is interesting is to hear stations so loud just at my sun set from Europe .

This is more or less my 3rd season on 160 so I have no experience from the good years to draw from .  

Good one I heard  was a UA0 50 min pass my sunrise with S7 signal for 5 min. Could not break the Midwest- West coast wall. Could not hear him at all when the East Coast was working him. Figure that one out . I could hear him 30 min to good 1hour pass my sunrise.

I built 2 new Beverage for this season and having a blast. They have paid off without out any  question.

Congratulation Chuck / NI0C on your achievement in that location and  with your set up.

73 JIM

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:47:42 PM by WB3CQM » Logged
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

Conditions have been sub-par for a good part of December and January, but that seems to be typical.  Hoping that things peak up in February and March, which they should.  Conditions from Guam have been pretty good into Europe but miserable into North America due to the aurora (polar path).  I keep listening most nights and I'll stay up late if things sound good for NA SR.

Robert ex-XQ6ET is now active at DU7TET and has been hitting 160m hard, looking for NA.  Keep an ear out for him; he hears very well as opposed to DU1IST who is loud but has trouble hearing. 

-KH2/N2NL

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:03 AM »

quote from WB3CQM:
My new total is 112 on Top band with 100 watts. New ones worked this season : PT0 D4 6V RI1 V5 KH2 KL7 ZS MD0 OX  J77 A45 Zk VP2M

This is more or less my 3rd season on 160 so I have no experience from the good years to draw from . 

Good one I heard  was a UA0 50 min pass my sunrise with S7 signal for 5 min. Could not break the Midwest- West coast wall. Could not hear him at all when the East Coast was working him. Figure that one out . I could hear him 30 min to good 1hour pass my sunrise.

I built 2 new Beverage for this season and having a blast. They have paid off without out any  question.

Congratulation Chuck / NI0C on your achievement in that location and  with your set up.

Jim, thanks for your kind words and congratulations on your top-band achievements, with 100 watts, and in only a few years! 

Chuck  NI0C
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 03:39:55 AM »

quote from N2NL:
Robert ex-XQ6ET is now active at DU7TET and has been hitting 160m hard, looking for NA.  Keep an ear out for him; he hears very well as opposed to DU1IST who is loud but has trouble hearing.

Thanks, Dave, for the tip from zone 27! 

Chuck  NI0C 
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 03:48:02 AM »

My new total is 112 on Top band with 100 watts. New ones worked this season : PT0 D4 6V RI1 V5 KH2 KL7 ZS MD0 OX  J77 A45 Zk VP2M

73 JIM

Wow!  That is really good!  I suspect the key to working DX on the low bands isn't an amplifier, but being able to hear the DX!  Maybe you can't break the pileups, bu even so there is lot of good stuff to work.  Wink

Zack Lau W1VT
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 04:59:29 AM »

73 JIM

Wow!  That is really good!  I suspect the key to working DX on the low bands isn't an amplifier, but being able to hear the DX!  Maybe you can't break the pileups, bu even so there is lot of good stuff to work.  Wink

Zack Lau W1VT

I believe the key is you have to have a operator on the other end . Then you need propagation in your favor . Then of course you need a antenna. I have missed DX contacts of a life time no doubt do to that fact I have NO amp right now. I have been told over and over I need a amp. Time - you have to put the time in . I sit there for hours and days weeks trying to hear a station or work them . Just like many of you guys. That one day that one min the DX station signal pops up and 100 watts can work them into a simple antenna. Like the ZS I worked , I had less than 5 min to work him. A s9 signal no the SE Beverage. I doubt any one with a amp would beat me out. That may never happen again in my life time. Plus there are many good operators that worked S.Africa many times before and  are giving every one a chance to work those difficult path and just not calling in the pile ups.

KH2/N2NL was one of the most exciting contact I  have made without a question. It is the zone the distance and the path . I was reluctant to take the time to build the new Bi-Directional Beverage to the North , it took a bit of work and I can be lazy at times . When I could not hear Dave on the NW Beverage few days before that I decided to take the extra time and build the antenna. QRN that am would make it impossible to hear him on transmit antenna . The path opened and I started to call when I saw his signal was on a rise to my area. I almost fell off the chair when Dave KH2/N2NL came back to me. I switched over to other Beverage while he worked stations and it was clear the New N/S Beverage was the Key on that day  . Big Thanks to KH2/N2NL

But wait what about the Transmit antenna . It is 100 watts for sure but not into a dipole . It is a 65 foot T with 93 radials and  now there is 115 radials 130 feet long 13,000 feet of copper, I am trying to squeeze every little watt out on to that open path .

And then there is the other side of the story . The Great op on the other end with the good hearing and who is putting the time in to give us a new one .

Thanks to all ops on Top Band  that makes Top Band so special .

73 JIM
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:02 AM »

Top Band is the last band DXCC I'm chasing, with 8 HF band DXCCs worked since I started seriously DXing in 2009. 10m was my last DXCC, and just in time, as that band has collapsed again. I've given up on 6m and don't regard it as a DX band at present.
This summer has been noisy, storms most nights since about October. Funny how the DX seems to be there when the summer storm static makes it hard to hear! North America has not been too good here, Europe very patchy. Pacific islands mostly OK. Dave KH2/N2NL is usually readable here when he's on, and a month or so ago was absolutely smashing in here.
My station has a 60 foot top loaded radiator, up 8 feet with tuned counterpoise, Rx is 4 direction EWE array. A pity I didn't have this set up at the bottom of the cycle, but I feel I can take my time with Top Band, and can also relax as I have all HF DXCCs in the folder now. New ones for me this Summer (NH Winter) A45XR (9th band!), E51E (hard work), HK1R (1st continental SA), UP2L, UT5A, LY7M (new EU) and KV4T (1st in Caribbean). That brings me up to 76 worked. Asia is usually not too hard, Europe is my pot of gold, with so many entities, but so darned far away! In the northern hemisphere, it seems everyone gets active in the winter, but in our winter, the band seems dead!
Down here, we regard anything inside about 2000 miles as "local", and there aren't too many entities active inside that radius.
The next one I'm looking out for is Rotuma. I was on DXpedition in Vanuatu at the time of the 3D2R activation. Bill and Bob are pretty easy to work from here, so this should make my #77, so still a way to go!
Luke VK3HJ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

Jim, WB3CQM:
 I enjoyed your last posting above, and agree with virtually everything you said.  I do think, however, you may be too pessimistic in your statement: " That may never happen again in my life time."   Conditions on 160m depend very much on seasonal variations such that opportunities for working the various areas of the world tend to repeat. 
Chuck  NI0C

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »

VK3HJ wrote:
Down here, we regard anything inside about 2000 miles as "local", and there aren't too many entities active inside that radius.

With regard to DXCC, those of us in NA, particularly the East Coast and Midwest, have a lot of entities available in the Caribbean.  Probably the CQ WAZ program is a fairer comparison measure for DX'ers worldwide. 

Chuck  NI0C
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »

Yes, it took me a lot longer to work WAZ than DXCC, the first time!
This year, WAZ will take a couple of months vs a couple of weeks for DXCC, on HF. Just need Z1&2 for CQ DX Marathon. The year started off really well here, but propagation has now gone flat.

Nice sunrise opening today to Europe. I even had a pileup and had to split! EW a new one for me. Of course the sun rose soon after, and shut down the band.

3D2RX was on 160m last night (1411/11Feb) and I missed him. Will set an alarm tonight!

Luke VK3HJ
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »

I will be putting up a 160m dipole, flat top - about 80ft above ground on Monday. I hope to work the world with my 100w and guestimate of 59 +100 noise floor in Los Angeles :-)
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »

I will be putting up a 160m dipole, flat top - about 80ft above ground on Monday. I hope to work the world with my 100w and guestimate of 59 +100 noise floor in Los Angeles :-)

If you want DX, you really want to get it up before ARRL DX CW this weekend. Contests will be your best opportunity to find a lot of activity. I am guessing XE and central america will be pretty straightforward from your QTH, and with your 100W I'm sure the guys in KH6 will hear you, and if you're lucky you'll be able to hear them.

Then the weekend after that is CQ 160 Phone, and you will have plenty of opportunities for domestic contacts with that. I myself am not a phone guy.

If you feed your "flat top dipole" as a monopole against ground you will have the best success for DX. Sometimes called a "Marconi T".

Next step after a transmit antenna, is a receive antenna. I am very happy with my K9AY loop.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: