Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Utility Pole Installation Costs  (Read 14792 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:13 AM »

........Here are some photographs;

http://www.picpaste.com/8cc9e8caa17eca210acc3728e6eef0eb.jpg
We had 4 electrical contractors to do the antenna prep work and 6 people to set the pole (must of been a slow day at their office or something). We started working at 9 am and were finished by 2 pm. There was allot going on at once but it was a very professionally installed setup. Amateurs could do the pole prep-work if it is delivered a few days in advance and the install crew could of probably been 2 people for setting the pole. The grounding and bonding could of been done later by amateurs.

Excellent photos, Tisha!
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

Great summary, Tisha. 

What you've documented is very similar to what we do with outdoor warning sirens, but with a slight twist.  We have the pole delivered to one of our service centers where our techs attach the siren head, the solar panels, battery and distribution box and the control radios (while pole is supported slightly off the ground by railroad timbers).  The techs run the heliax and grounds down the pole and secure them.  Then we call the electrical contractor who picks up the entire assembly and trucks it to the site, where is is planted, fertilized and watered.  ;o)
I have to say that a pole like that with a 675 pound siren head (and accessories) on top appears to be quite unwieldy to raise.  But they know their job.  Glad someone other than me is doing the lifting and guidance.  Great pics.  Thanks again.

Terry, WØFM
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »

I wonder if the OP might come back here and let us know what direction he took. Bury his service or go with overhead and poles?HuhHuh

Fred
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 03:09:42 PM »

I wonder if the OP might come back here and let us know what direction he took. Bury his service or go with overhead and poles?

Fred,
That would be me.   The plan is to bury the new service using directional drilling (no permits needed to open the road and the drill can steer  around other cables and obstructions).  

This is the local contractor that bid the job:  http://www.otstel.com/

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: