Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40 meters 0r 75 meters  (Read 2447 times)
KC8EQF

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »

Soon I will be upgrading to general class. Thinking about purchasing a MFJ 9440 or 9475.Which band is better for good ole nightime rag chewing?     Thanks
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »

40 is basically a 24 hr band and usable year round too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »

It might be that neither will be very useful at the moment, depending on the distance
you want to cover.

You can use the online tools from the Australian Ionospheric Prediction Service to see
what the coverage is for different bands throughout the day:

http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/7/1

The "Combined HF Prediction" has a LAMP (Local Area Mobile Prediction) tool that shows
coverage out to 1000km (600 miles).  Other tools will handle longer distances, but for
general chatting with low dipole antennas, the 600km range probably is a reasonable
outer limit for "local" work, and signal strengths will be best in that range.

Looking at a typical current plot, 40m is open for 7 hours during mid-day at the shortest
distance, and about 11 hours at the outer edge.  You may be able to work longer distances
at night, but it will take a good antenna to do so with low power.  You're going to struggle
to do well at night on SSB (though you might get through on CW.)

Actually, the plot for 75m isn't a lot better:  from about 0300Z to 1300Z each night the
critical frequency will drop below 80m, and conditions will be very poor for distances out
to about 300 to 400 miles or so.  Beyond that the band should be open all night - through
again, signals might not be very strong at longer distances, making conditions difficult
for low power operation.  The rest of the day 80m should open for short distances.

That's been typical of the current sunspot cycle so far:  if it picks up, then 80m may be
open all night at shorter distances.  If not, then you may need to use 160m for shorter
distances at night, or work on building an effective antenna for either band and try to
work some DX, though that can be frustrating:  you'll have more fun running 100W because
contacts will be easier at the longer distances.

Normally at this point in the sunspot cycle 80m would be open much of the night for
relatively local contacts, but the current cycle is lagging behind early predictions and
might not improve a lot.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

Looking at a typical current plot, 40m is open for 7 hours during mid-day at the shortest
distance, and about 11 hours at the outer edge.  You may be able to work longer distances
at night, but it will take a good antenna to do so with low power.  You're going to struggle
to do well at night on SSB (though you might get through on CW.)

I love these "plots" I have used 40m for over 40 yrs and I know it better than any plot. It is a very reliable band. During the day you can work out to 500 miles and more pretty reliably. At night into Europe and to west coast. Rockies from mid west is pretty easy a few hours after sunset. For a hour before and after sunrise into Australia. Sometimes Japan too. I have worked into California, Washington, Oregon and Arizona up to a few hours after sunrise. It is not perfect but no band is. 80 is pretty useless during day especially summer except to maybe a few hundred miles. At night further is possible but is generally a noisier band too. 

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:05:20 AM »

W8JX just about sums it up.Plots don't consider your particular qth,conditions or antenna.Your  MFJ 94xx series is low power,so for the CW side more activity will generally be on 40m ,as for qrp ssb if you check out (QRPSPOTS.com) especially on a weekend you will find the ssb SOTA boys on 40m and seldom on 80m.The web site will also give you real time propagation between two stations in CONUS and DX on the different bands.If you presently have any type of ham band receiver just spend some time listening to the activity on both bands at times you will be likely operating and make your own decision.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »

FWIW, I would vote 40 meters as being the all around better choice also. 

Likely find more ops there averaged over time, less noise (again, a subjective from experience), plus, for the CW op and somewhat so for the SSB op, more chances to work DX on 40.  Then there are also plenty of nets to be found regularly on 40. 

And, wire antennas for the band will also take less space, care and feeding as well. 

Over the years I've noticed that the CW portion of 40 can and does do some surprising things at times when the sunspots and other condx are not supposed to be working in our favor. 

VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »

Personally I would go with 40 meters. However you will have to remember that your MFJ 9440 only has 12 watts PEP output. So you must realize that you will not have a big signal with a dipole antenna.

Plus you are limited to 7.150-7.300. The rig will not allow you to work digital modes if you decide to do that.

Why not spend a little more and buy a good used HF rig that covers all the bands? Unless you want to operate portable, and even if you do you could still buy an all band mobile rig for that purpose.

JMO.

W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »

40 is the best band of all, but please don't tell everyone!  Realistically,consistant ragchewing with 12 watts will be difficult, so I, too, will recommend an older all-band rig that runs 100w. An Icom '735 as well as others of the same vintage can be found for $300 or so and you will be much happier with it.Good luck,
                                              Greg
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:22:04 AM »

will be upgrading to general class. Thinking about purchasing a MFJ 9440 or 9475.
Which band is better for good ole nightime rag chewing?
Personally, get an 80-10 meter HF transceiver with 100 watts output -- used or new.
MONO-BAND rigs are limited due to Propagation : atmosphere, seasons and time of day.
QRP, 12 watts will be a challenge if you are expecting daily QSOs.

75 meters is popular in winter months at night, and noisy in summer months.
HOWEVER you need real estate for a good antenna (height and length).  
City and suburban dwellers normally don't have either!!

40 meters, now that European broadcasters have been moved is a better choice.
Shorter antenna length (66 feet) for 1/2-wave dipole.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:24:50 AM by W9GB » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »

I agree with W9GB.  Unless you are thinking of buying the MFJ used and getting a fantastic deal on it (maybe $100 or less?), a well-used, older, multi-band 100W rig is a lot more useful.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »

I agree with W9GB.  Unless you are thinking of buying the MFJ used and getting a fantastic deal on it (maybe $100 or less?), a well-used, older, multi-band 100W rig is a lot more useful.

I agree too. Even a old one.

KC8EQF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »

Thanks to all the "Elmers" for your advice. Grin
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 03:41:04 AM »

Thanks to all the "Elmers" for your advice. Grin

What radio have you decided to buy?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

Heh. 

About 75 meters. 

Years ago, when one could still hear those older and richer hams on 75 running their clean and crisp AM setups, often homebrewed transmitters, high level modulation schemes of course, often using various pro level microphones, they sounded SO darned good. 

Anyway, this guy was still in high school when he erected a dipole that was finally long enough to tackle the 80 meter CW band. 

Didn't take too long for me to try that antenna with my trusty Hot Water One Hundred Griefkit on the SSB phone portion of 75. 

So there I was, calling, CQ, CQ, CQ and listening, getting no response. 

About the fifth or six goround of that, when I unkeyed, some old guy keyed up and, without identifying, said, simply, "Git yerself an AMP, kid!"  20 over 9, he was. 

Grin

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »

So there I was, calling, CQ, CQ, CQ and listening, getting no response. 

About the fifth or six goround of that, when I unkeyed, some old guy keyed up and, without identifying, said, simply, "Git yerself an AMP, kid!"  20 over 9, he was. 

Once when listening around on 80 I heard some one tell a CQ er to come back when he got his Extra and then they would talk to him.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: