Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Really Love Math and Propagation . . .  (Read 987 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »

Good reading while waiting for your next ATNO:

http://faculty.nps.edu/jenn/EC3630/Ionosphere(v1.6.2).pdf

I promise - there won't be a quiz . . . .
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:45:43 AM »

I like to look at the pretty pictures.  Grin

Eric
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »

I read about two pages of it and will read more when I get home. I am not sure what I will learn from it but I am very interested.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:49:14 AM »

I very much appreciate the math and thinking behind how the ionosphere works.

But I also still think that bouncing signals off the ionosphere and the "anomalies" that happen at a moments notice on a given band is the #1 reason I still bother with ham radio.

I love the fact that its even harder to predict than the weather.

You can't get this kind of magic over the internet . . . . and I have worked in IT for 32 years . .
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »

The best part is that the more you know, the more amazing it is.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »

I think the beauty of HF and propagation is you don't need to know a lot of math and science to enjoy listening to distant radio stations.

When I received my first SW radio and started picking up stations from all over the world I called my uncle who was an EE to get an explanation as to how I was hearing stations from all over the world and he said, "Just think of the ionosphere as a huge mirror which circles the Earth and  that mirror reflects the signals back to the Earth." He also explained that without the ionosphere the signals would just head directly out into space and I wouldn't be hearing them.  That was all I really needed to know as teen, and that simple concept is all that many hams know or want to know.

When I got into CB my uncle often repaired the damage I did because I was always adjusting the pots and variable inductors. When I took a correspondence course on basic AC/DC he was a phone call away. When I built my first amplifier he drove over and turned it on with a broom handle - it worked perfectly, btw, but he was afraid I might get a bad shock. After I sold a package store I owned and had some idle time he hired me for the summer in the R&D lab he ran for a S&P 500 company and I learned more in those four or five months than with the course. Oh, he also kept me on the job when all the regular college kids went back to school so I worked a couple extra months until somebody filed a nepotism grievance against me. He even helped pound the dirt back into place when I ran a #4 wire from the Mains ground to the station ground and then to the tower. He was in his late 60's when he did that. Not once in his lifetime did he ever say NO to me. 

He was never interested in amateur radio probably due to the fact he was the first on his shift to get to work and the last to leave. He also started night school at 30 and did not get his engineering degree until his early 40's. When he retired as an executive he started working as a substitute teacher so he could keep busy. That quickly became a full-time job and he was assigned to the most troubled and difficult students. Because he was street smart and still worked out in his garage hitting the speed bag and heavy bag well into his 70's the kids respected him and would often stop by his house while he was working out. At his wake I learned from a fellow teacher he really did not make a pay. Many of his students spent their lunch money on drugs so he paid for their lunches.

Sorry for the long post. When I realized the first anniversary of his death was next week I got very emotional and just hit the keyboard.  If you look at my QRZ picture, which is very small and not very detailed, my uncle is the guy to the right.

Chris/NU1O

ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »

You can't get this kind of magic over the internet . . . . and I have worked in IT for 32 years . .

Amen to that Wink

I couldnt agree more. I'm a software developer at Skype, facilitating the paradigm that "whole world can talk for free (over the internet)",
but there's nothing like a weak signal coming from other side of the world. With that sweet polar splatter in a modulation, in case it comes from W6-7..
'Magic' ..it really is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: