Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTW furiously processing logs  (Read 11636 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »

Hmmm, LoTW hasn't processed one single log in the past hour.  I was almost certain that the queue would go to zero.  Now I'm not so sure if the system is designed to process logs with no delay.  Bummer.

LotW is not designed to process uploaded QSOs with no delay. The recent storage subsystem upgraded increased LotW's throughput from one finite value to another (higher) finite value. After a big contest weekend, when lots of QSOs are uploaded within a relatively short interval, there will be processing delays.

Dave, AA6YQ
SV1XV

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »

What you see on the logbook queue status is the situation at the intermediate buffer. If the buffer contents increase, it means that more QSOs were submitted in the last hour than the number of QSOs processed. You must also watch the LoTW home page to see how fast it processes QSOs and QSLs.

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »

Most people who have near 300 worked only have a few confirmations they waiting for. 

How did you reach this conclusion, Jonathan?

When one gets close to 300 the rate of ATNOs worked slows down dramatically.  So naturally all the QSL's will get caught up.  Plus when one gets close to 300 the chance of working an unconfirmed country multiple times increases, thus further improving the QSL rate. 

As it turns out, entities that are difficult to work can also be difficult to QSL: finding the correct QSL route can be difficult, and mail pilferage is problematic in some areas of the world. So when your count of worked entities exceeds 270, not only does the rate of working all-time new ones decrease, but the rate of QSL arrivals for worked-but-unconfirmed entities can also decrease.

I see your point.  Currently my unconfirmed entities are shrinking rapidly.  This is because I'm not working new ones as fast as I'm getting new confirmations.  At some point I will have gotten all the low-hanging fruit QSLs and start to see the gap grow again.  I'm beginning to encounter several ATNO contacts with less than ideal QSL routes.  Recently I worked AP, 9G, and ET.  None of them have a QSL manager.  The AP station requires registered mail.  I sent one out on 12/17 and it's been sitting in AP customs since 1/6.  If the AP customs open my mail they will find three green stamps- not exactly a good thing!  The 9G has a US address for QSLs but he won't answer QSLs until he returns to the US.  The ET is direct only and I could only hope Sid May taught his pupils well on the final courtesy of a QSO.

Jonathan W6GX
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2013, 09:22:51 PM »

Anyone know why from time to time I get LOTW confirmations of QSO I have allready confirmed pop up into my latest QSL's tab

Right now all my NH8S QSL's have just reappeared??

If I check it looks like they have reloaded there log as it shows the last upload as of a few minutes ago and the queue has just jumped up over 100K

But this happens to my lotw matches from time to time and something the other station has not done a upload since I got the orignal confirmation.

Any one have any idea what's going on ??

Trevor
EI2GLB
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »

I know that I had every intention of re-uploading my logs after reading here and learning of the past issues with lost entries. But not while they were behind.

Hearing they were caught up, I reupped my logs and got back 28 new confirmations. No new ones, though.

So I was a victim of lost entries.

No doubt this will repeat as others do the same.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46:35 AM »

I re-uploaded my log (3500 QSO's) as well since the word was that the system had been discarding some small files due to a glitch.  What seemed weird was that instead of all but any lost QSO's being duplicates, about 25% were processed by LoTW as 'replacements' and 74.9% were 'duplicates.'

can anyone help educate me on the probable etiology of why 99.9% were not treated as duplicates?
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »

I thought the NH8S confirmation was new but eventually I realized it was a dupe.

I had received emails that indicated my LoTW confirmation never came through and I make it clear on QRZ I use LoTW.  I recently reuploaded 4,500 QSO's and it turned out 400 were new confirmations. It brought my overall reply rate from 27% to almost 30%. Many of my uploads most have got lost in the process.

Chris/NU1O

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »

I re-uploaded my log (3500 QSO's) as well since the word was that the system had been discarding some small files due to a glitch.  What seemed weird was that instead of all but any lost QSO's being duplicates, about 25% were processed by LoTW as 'replacements' and 74.9% were 'duplicates.'

can anyone help educate me on the probable etiology of why 99.9% were not treated as duplicates?

I changed my logging program a year ago. The ADIF file now contains more/different fields than it used to. For some reason this caused LoTW to treat some records as replacements rather than duplicates.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »

As it turns out, entities that are difficult to work can also be difficult to QSL: finding the correct QSL route can be difficult, and mail pilferage is problematic in some areas of the world. So when your count of worked entities exceeds 270, not only does the rate of working all-time new ones decrease, but the rate of QSL arrivals for worked-but-unconfirmed entities can also decrease.

I don't fully agree with that point, Dave. By the time you've hit the 270-280 mark, much of what you're working for ATNOs at that point are DXpeditions. I found it far more difficult to get cards back from my first hundred to about 275 than I have from beyond 275. Sure, there are the real PITA entities to confirm where you're only working locals (Iran & Pakistan being the two most difficult, by far, for me), but I'd say that once you've passed that 275 mark, most of the ones you're working for ATNOs are either big DXpeditions to uninhabited locations or locations that are on a pure polar path from your QTH (i.e. most difficult to work). I had a far more difficult time confirming Argentina, Lesotho and EA9 when I was a novice DXer than I did confirming anything after 275.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »

Just got all my NH8S QSOs re-confirmed on LoTW (all Qs were confirmed on Dec. 11th last year as well). It seems as if they uploaded their entire log once again. Goes back to what I said a couple of days ago -- I hope the League can figure out a way to prevent dupes from being uploaded, especially when the system is about to undergo another stress test (as in ARRL-CW next month, etc).

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »

Just got all my NH8S QSOs re-confirmed on LoTW (all Qs were confirmed on Dec. 11th last year as well). It seems as if they uploaded their entire log once again.

Duplicate uploads do not result in duplicate QSLs in LoTW. If it were so, we'd all have LOADS of dupes (I calculated about 2/3 of the recent queue backups were duplicates). I'm puzzled as to why the NH8S QSLs suddenly reappeared. I wonder if perhaps the operation was just approved for DXCC credit and they had to be reprocessed.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2013, 01:41:43 PM »

After my upload of my entire logs, 5161 entries, the next day I received over 1000 confirmations.

No way I have edited over 1000 entries. But it seem similar to what N8HS reported.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N4KC

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »

And just for drill, I clicked the "All Confirmed" button in my logging software's LoTW section.  Bingo!  I immediately gained 5 previously missing confirmed countries that weren't there ten minutes before.  I'm at 272 confirmed out of 299 worked.

See, I rely on the routine in the logging software to let me know the totals and have never checked them in LoTW itself.  Maybe I should go take a look.  I'm building up my nerve to upload the entire log, all 5351 contacts.  I may be Honor Roll!

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com

VU2CDP

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »

I'm puzzled as to why the NH8S QSLs suddenly reappeared. I wonder if perhaps the operation was just approved for DXCC credit and they had to be reprocessed.

Because the earlier confirmations showed NH8S as CQ Zone 31 whereas the card says Zone 32. Probably was an error in their logging software configuration which was rectified after the error was highlighted on the LoTW Yahoo group.

Deepak VU2CDP
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »

They must be doing some work because the system is down. Getting a database error when I try to login.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: