Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Add a QSR1 to a Flex 5000  (Read 1266 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »

Any one done this using the RX out/in ports with a splitter to send the signal to the the QSR1 and back to the RX in?

Besides hating Flex radios, any other holes people can point out?

It seems that the Flex itself would shut off the receive loop to protect the second SDR in this configuration thus providing the necessary transmit isolation.

Thoughts?

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:06 PM »

My apologies, the subject should read QS1R, I reversed the last to letters on Quick Silvers SDR.

This all has led me to some interesting research and it looks like the max width of bandwidth the QS1R can provide to the ExtIO is 2.5mhz.  Outside CW Skimmer, one would not appear to grab more than 1 band in real time to carve out multiple virtual slices.

The WinRadio XPro can do 4mhz wide, but does not appear to have an ExtIO.lib available. It does claim to have a view of all 50mhz though.  Only 107 dynamic DB though.

So, it would appear that the world is truly limited right now and if Flex releases its 6K series they will have something unique.  Hence the boasting about the processor speeds they have in their new radios.

The thought this leads me to is with regards to SDR design and costs.  To have a stand alone SDR that will really make a huge swath of bandwidth available is going to require some serious processing hardware.  Duhh, I know.  But the thing to remember then is that is going to cost money.  So to have the SDR away from the computer which has previously provided the horse power it's going to cost serious money.  Hence in part the high price tag.  It's also going to take a fairly stout design team to make it reality. That costs money as well.  The fact that the audience for the market is low and that there is not a robust drive to develop affordable chips to perform these specialized functions, it will be a while before this all evolves to where the average ham consumer can lay their hands on technology like this.  ThenFlex 6K series might be as close as we get for some years to come if one can truly justify a need for multiple slices.

I approached all this from a what if I wanted it perspective.  I am glad now I am content to look at 1 or 2 bands at a time.  Lol. I am also happy I don't have the contest bug and likely never will.

Now that I am where I am, adding a QS1R to the Flex 5000 might be fun to play with.  Coupled with Studio One and or it's native SDR Max 5 software could breath new life into the Receive side of the flex 5k and allow me to use its Xmit capabilities a and antenna switching capabilities to heighten the SDR experience.

Yes, this is along the lines of useless fun, but fun none the less if one likes playing with this stuff.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: