Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amerirtron RCS-4  (Read 1499 times)
WN2C

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »

Does anyone know if the DC power is on the SO-239 connector on the relay box, antenna 1,2,3,4 connector (the out to the antenna at the tower).  I was thinking of using a SGC 237 Coupler but it needs power and I have to send it up the tower thru the coax to the tuner.  Was thinking of a delta loop w/ the apex (and tuner) up the tower.  Lower ends will be about 8 feet of ground and about 150 to 170 ft of wire.  Yes it will be slanted from the tower to the back wall on my property and run the length of the wall.  First problem is power at the antenna connector on the relay box.  Second problem is having to support the tuner.  Don't want it to fall 50 feet!
Thanks for any info or suggestions!

I hope I am clear in trying to explain this...

Rick  wn2c

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

There's a DC blocking capacitor on the output so no DC voltage appears on the 4 switch RF outputs. If it did, it would get shorted if any antennas were DC grounded types.

However, the RCS-4 already puts voltages on the coax run between the switch and its control box so you won't be able to power the SGC tuner via the coax.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »

What if I remove the blocking capacitor on one output?
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »

How much current (in Amps) does this coupler use?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 06:24:03 PM by W9GB » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

DC Input Requirement: +13.8 VDC (nominal)
DC Operating Range: +10.5 to 18 VDC
Input Current: 300 milli Amps
from SGC website on SGC 237
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:16:58 PM »

Ok disregard.  The output of the small power cube, aka...wallwart is 12v AC at 1 amp to run the relays on the RCS-4.  I guess I would have to convert it to DC.  Not sure if there is room in the box to do that component wise.  Any body do this?

Rick  wn2c
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »

The RCS-4 depends on sending different polarities to select antennas - no voltage selects a default antenna 1, + DC selects ant 2,
- DC selects ant 3, and both selects ant 4.  don't mess with it.
I use an RCS-8V, 5 positions, and use Cat3 indooor/outdoor network cable to run the control voltages. It does use 12V DC, but sends it to different relays by individual wires.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:25 PM »

AA4PB, please clarify for me.  Are you saying that WN2C can NOT send a bias voltage through the RCS-4 to the remote tuner?

I am getting old and senile, but I thought I remembered sending a voltage through my Ameritron switch before I replaced it in 2008.   It was the RCS-8...and I thought I sent a voltage through it using a Bias-T to power the remote tuner at the base of my vertical. 

I guess I am getting old and forgetful.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

the RCS8 and RCS 10 use a separate control cable,so you CAN send power for a tuner up the coax.
the RCS4 sends various polarities of DC up the cable to control the switch, so you should not attempt
to also use it so send DC up to power a tuner.
Read the tech manual on the RCS4.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »

AA4PB, please clarify for me.  Are you saying that WN2C can NOT send a bias voltage through the RCS-4 to the remote tuner?

That's correct. As KQ6Q said, the RCS4 already uses the coax for control voltages for the switch control so it is not available for use with a bias-T to power the tuner.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »

In theory, you could tack on another L201/C203 to pull the control signal off the coax, rectify and signal condition it into an acceptable signal for the SGC-237--then pick one of the outputs, insert a DC blocking cap so it doesn't backfeed to the other outputs, and then route the signal to that output with another L201/C203 type combo.

You may need a bigger transformer to run both the SGC-237 and the switch.  You also need to select a switch  position with a control voltage that can run the tuner--position 4 won't work.

One way to check the need for a bigger transformer is to measure its temperature rise with the different switch positions, and make sure that the modified unit isn't any worse than the unmodified unit.

Zack Lau W1VT

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:04:12 AM by W1VT » Logged
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:53 PM »

On this unit there is power switched on the transmission line between the controller and the relay box only.
Input to the controller is DC isolated and the output of the relay box is DC isolated.
 You can run a seperate  single wire control cable to the relay box then use an RF tap isolater to get DC on the output cable from the relay unit to the TUNER.
The coax cable shield/connectors is the ground for the single lead's return..
As for mounting it has holes around the outside so you can adapt to the mounting surface application in many ways. Only you would know what you need.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:06:30 PM by KM3F » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: