Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me make a radio decision  (Read 11016 times)
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »

If there is some extra cash laying around that she is offering to me and I don't claim it, it will literally go to the dogs.

My opinion; spend it on the DOGS!  When is the last time you got love from an INANIMATE OBJECT?  I'm not opposed to spending some of my disposable cash on electronics but, given the choice, my dogs come first every single time.
One final comment; you won't find ANY "hounds" in hell, only humans!
Tom
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »

If there is some extra cash laying around that she is offering to me and I don't claim it, it will literally go to the dogs.

My opinion; spend it on the DOGS!  When is the last time you got love from an INANIMATE OBJECT?  I'm not opposed to spending some of my disposable cash on electronics but, given the choice, my dogs come first every single time.
One final comment; you won't find ANY "hounds" in hell, only humans!
Tom

You are a wise man. I also believe all dogs go to heaven. Even though it's my wife's hobby I love our goofy Labradors. Especially since we are now empty nesters. Our dogs have literally hit the doggy lottery. Unfortunately man can not live for work and dog alone.

K2GWK Website

Stupidity for Dummies (http://stupidityfordummies.com/)

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »

OK, I MUST AGREE 100% ABOUT THE DOG COMMENT.  I lost my perspective on this thread. 

As a very happy "dad" to three rescued Golden Retrievers (see my QRZ.com page), I have NO issues with spending $$ on my dogs for their health.  I never think twice about it, because they bring so much joy and happiness...not just to me but to so many people we happen to meet when we go walking in the local parks.  Total strangers become instant friends with huge smiles on their faces when they see the dogs. 

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:11 PM »

Well, that was brought home to me rather harshly last Saturday when I lost my little female Sheltie as the result of kidney failure.  When something like that happens, its very easy to realize how much they mean and how empty it is here without her even though there are four others to try to keep up with.  They really do make my world brighter.
Tom
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

I absolutely love it when two of our Labrador males Jack and Cooper lie down in the shack when I operate. It is funny for me to watch their expressions when I go up and down the band and they hear the squeels and whistles. It's like what the hell was that dad? It's also cool to see them trying to figure out where that voice is coming from that I am talking to. There is quite a bit of chaos living with so many Labrador Retrievers but there are some very cool times also. Never a dull moment.

FYI......I may order the radio tomorrow.

Guy (K2GWK)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:21:12 PM by K2GWK » Logged

K2GWK Website

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »

Tom, we lost our first dog, a female Sheltie, to the same ailment in December 2002.  I will never get over losing her.  She was INCREDIBLY smart, very loyal.  A bit stubborn, and absolutely ADORED children of all ages.  Great dogs, they are.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »

Tom, we lost our first dog, a female Sheltie, to the same ailment in December 2002...

Sadly, they seem to have a predisposition to the illness.  I've lost several to it over the years.  It's never been easy but it seems to be getting harder each time.  Maybe my own age is taking its toll as well.
I got my first Sheltie in 1991 and have had as many as eight of them at one time.  Never a chore; they seem to take care of themselves and the newcomers learn from the "old hands".  My first one, Joy, lived to be 17 and was very healthy right up to the last but, as I said, I've had way too many with kidney trouble.  That's very difficult to watch; even when they're still feeling pretty good, the thought is there that, any day, they might start down hill.
Well, I guess I've monopolized the thread too long so better let it go back to the topic.  For anyone whom I've bored, I apologize.  My one weakness is talking about my dogs (as all can see).
73 All,
Tom
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 03:31:02 AM »

Gents,

A bit of news on the Kenwood TS-990S. It appears as if it will be out of my price range. I just saw on their corporate web site that Kenwood is going to release the TS-990S for sale world wide in February 2013 with a price of 798,000 Yen. At the current exchange rate that is about $9056.00 and well out of my price range.

Guy (K2GWK)

Guy, you could always take out a second mortgage for the radio  Cheesy  But seriously, does what you have work and work well?  If so why not take the money and spend it on the dream staion of your youth...like maybe some Collins gear or such?

Rick  wn2c
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »

Gents,

A bit of news on the Kenwood TS-990S. It appears as if it will be out of my price range. I just saw on their corporate web site that Kenwood is going to release the TS-990S for sale world wide in February 2013 with a price of 798,000 Yen. At the current exchange rate that is about $9056.00 and well out of my price range.

Guy (K2GWK)

Guy, you could always take out a second mortgage for the radio  Cheesy  But seriously, does what you have work and work well?  If so why not take the money and spend it on the dream staion of your youth...like maybe some Collins gear or such?

Rick  wn2c
Rick,

Glad you mentioned that as that will be my next planned purchase except it will be Drake.

Guy (K2GWK)

K2GWK Website

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 10:46:52 AM »

Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to get back to you all to let you in on what I purchased. In the end I purchased an Elecraft K3 and P3. I was all set to pull the trigger on a Yaesu FTDX-5000D when I had a chance to operate the K3. I can't tell you why but I took to the radio like a duck to water. Maybe it's my deranged mind but it seemed intuitive to me and I fell in love with the radio. I again wanted to thank everyone who chimed in and hope to catch you on the air.

Guy (K2GWK)

K2GWK Website

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »

Guy, that is usually what happens to K3 owners.  It becomes a love-at-first-listen.  Same thing with Flex radios, which is what happened to me.

Did you get the second receiver?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: