Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-811h - power handling in standby  (Read 1242 times)
KB1UJS

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2013, 08:12:23 AM »

Hi all.  I'm rewiring my station and have a question.  How much input power from the exciter can the AL-811h handle when in standby?  I'm thinking running 100W through the amp while in standby when I want to work barefoot won't be an issue, but it's not clear from what I've read just how much power can be fed through. 

Thanks,
Ken
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »

When in standby, power is only passing through the antenna relays. It should handle 100W with no problem.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:50 AM »

When in standby, power is only passing through the antenna relays. It should handle 100W with no problem.

Of course it will.  And probably also 1000W with no problem, unless the relay contacts are worn out or misaligned.
KB1UJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:57 AM »

Of course it will.  And probably also 1000W with no problem, unless the relay contacts are worn out or misaligned.

That's what I figured.  Thanks!

Ken
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »

But -- I wouldn't recommend running more than the input to the amp can safely handle through the amp, as if one does that, there WILL be that day when one mistake will be costly. 

And that goes double if its a contest day. 

But running the typical 100W rig won't be a bad situation, a mistake there is more likely to just cause higher distortion and splatter, not do to the amp input what 1KW might, just because that stdby switch happened to be in the wrong position...

KB1UJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »

But -- I wouldn't recommend running more than the input to the amp can safely handle through the amp, as if one does that, there WILL be that day when one mistake will be costly. 

And that goes double if its a contest day. 

But running the typical 100W rig won't be a bad situation, a mistake there is more likely to just cause higher distortion and splatter, not do to the amp input what 1KW might, just because that stdby switch happened to be in the wrong position...

Duly noted.  I plan to put a big red label by the standby switch reminding me to drop the output before using the amp.  I only plan to put 100 watts through on standby anyway.  Levels will actually be less than that most of the time due to primarily using PSK when the amp isn't in use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: