Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help with program control of Kenwood TS-870.  (Read 1581 times)
N7BMW

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:59:44 PM »

I am trying to write a program for an Arduino to auto band switch my Ten Tec Hercules II by reading the frequency from the Kenwood TS-870.  It appears that the responses to commands sent to the TS-870 are buffered and not output until a second command it sent.  Then it outputs the results from both commands.

Examples: 

1) I send the "AI3;" command and nothing happens.  I then send an "IF;" command and get back two responses. 

2) I send the "IF;" command repeatedly, first send - no response, second send - two responses, third send no response, etc.

My understanding of how this should work is that after sending the "AI3;" command I should just be able to listen for responses anytime something changes in the TS-870. That is what I wrote the program to do.  I could rewrite the program to send the "IF;" command, and if no response send it again.  The program would be actively polling the TS-870 rather than listening - a lot more activity on the TS-870 that may affect other functions.

I found some very old references on an internet discussion board describing this problem slightly differently.  No resolution was posted.  This appears to be unique to the TS-870.

Has anyone here seen this and found a solution?

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »

THREE NEW COMMANDS, with TS-870:  AI, EX, KY

AUTO Information, with this model, is set to ON with command:  AI2  Correct?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:39:06 AM by W9GB » Logged
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

There are four possibilities with AI - 0 to 3. 

0) Off.

1) IF command answers it's output command periodically.

2) For parameter changes the corresponding answer command is sent.

3) Both one and two.

I have tried all three possibilities and have not seen a response when spinning the dial or changing bands.  I only get an initial response to the AI after sending an IF command.  At any time I need to put in two commands to get two responses.  Sending one command I get no response.  Sending it again I get two responses.

N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »

Problem solved, well worked around.

I still don't understand why the AI command does not seem to work.  I changed the program to repeatedly (four times a second) send the IF command and react to the response. 

I would still like to know why the AI command isn't working right.  Has anyone written a control program for a Kenwood using the AI instruction?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: