Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: inexpensive 10 meter rig  (Read 2096 times)
KD8OWB

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:34:08 AM »

It has probably been asked before, if so, sorry.  I would like to find an inexpensive 10 meter all-mode radio.  Other than the old Uniden's and Radio Shack's that are still out there and are very popular and the "exports", there isn't anything from the "big three" that is comparable.  Wait, I did find an Icom, I think, that was a 10 watt fm 10 meter which would be totally useless to a Tech.  

My question is this, why doesn't one of the main companies come out with something similar to the old HTX-100s that are still out there and in demand?  I would feel much better buying something from the "Big Three" than buying an export that has SSB and CW.  

Yes, I could spend more and get an used all band but that would be out of budget.  Anyway, just throwing this out because I think they are missing out on a large market....

Thanks,
Eric
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:06:09 AM »

The demand is too small and the cost to produce a quality units is not significantly less than the cost to produce an all band unit.

Look for a good used IC-706MKII, Ft-100 class radio.  They can be found for just about $100 more than you would pay for one of the current mono-band 10M rigs and will give you 2 or more additional bands you can use, 6M, 2M and on some versions 70CM.  A little more will get you a good used FT857D or IC-706MKIIG .
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »

The Uniden/Radio Shack stuff is plentiful and most of it still works fine; it was very high quality gear.  Not difficult to find a working unit on the used market, I see them almost every day.

I agree the demand for a new all-mode monoband 10m rig is likely quite small.  Since Techs cannot use FM on 10m and the majority probably don't need CW either, the MFJ-9410 20W PEP 10m SSB transceiver exists and works fine: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-9410

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

Eric - to take the previous post a little further - If cost is a big factor as you stated, one option is to look for a Yaesu FT-100D series transceiver with a "blown" VHF / UHF final transistor.  Apparently there was a design issue with this rig which caused the single VHF / UHF transistor to fail in most of them.  When this happens these rigs will not transmit on 144 or 440 but everything else still works.

There is not a design issue with the HF final transistor.  They seem to last forever.  Even with a blown VHF / UHF final transistor, the FT-100D will still provide 100 watts on all bands 160-6 meters, because these bands use a separate final transistor.  

I have seen many of these rigs (with blown VHF / UHF final) in good condition go for less than $200 and many in the $150 range.  This will give you an all mode rig with 100 watts on 160-6 meters on SSB, CW, and FM.  You will also have general coverage receive from 100 KHz - 30 MHz.  Even though the rig will not transmit on 2 meters and 440 you will still be able to receive there.

The VHF / UHF final transistor is no longer available, so repair is not an option.

Dick  AD4U

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

I owned two of those Radio Shack 10m rigs, the early one and the more recent one.  I see them used every now and then for $100-125.

I'd agree with the others that if you can afford it, say $350-400 would get you a basic relatively modern all-band HF radio with full power output.  That would give you a LOT more options, and you'd wind up using it much longer before you decide you need a better rig.   Just MHO.  And you can definitely have fun with the RS 10m rig, no doubt about it!

My own feeling is you'd be better off avoiding those rebadged CB radios that pretend to be 10m rigs, but lots of people do own them and say they work, so there are other opinions out there.

GL 73!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:47:07 AM »

I have had several of the rat shack 's and although the do work, they could be better.  look around for a used FT 857 or 706 or dx 70 and get many b ands for just about the same  price.
KD8OWB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »

I do appreciate all the comments on this topic and it has given me much to ponder.  I may still be wrong, but I still think there would be a decent market for a "Big 3" single band 10 meter ssb that could put out 50 to 70 watts and would cost somewhere between 150-200 dollars.(That's what a new 2m rig would cost you.)  For new techs who have already spent that amount on a 2 meter rig and are itching to start Dxing, I think it would be the next logical step up the ladder.

So I think I will search til I find the "perfect" Htx-10 or 100.  They have had good comments and reviews and would be within my budget.

If you had one of these Htx's and wanted to dx with it, what type of homebrewed antenna would you build that is decent for the beginner and affordable?  I built a copper J-pole for 2 meter and really like it and it works great.  

Thanks for all your responses,
Eric

KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »

On another board:
http://www.preparedham.com/forums/buysell/wts-radioshack-htx10-ssbam-10m-tranciever-and-a-homemade-10m-dipole/
G8UBJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:27 AM »

How about the Alinco DX-70 they are quite a competent rig and sell cheaply... + you get a rig that out perfoms the 706 on the low bands?
KD8OWB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

Darn, by the time I read this post and signed up on the other board, someone else beat me to it.........

Eric
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

Sorry, I linked it as soon as I saw it.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »

Inexpensive? If you only have the 100 -150 to get on the air, it's away to get there. Now remember 10 is not always open. Now there are other bands you want to try. A different rig is more money. Save yours get a multi band rig.
I speak from experience. I have an AR-3500 all mode. Fairly nice unmolested as I purchased it new.  I turned the power down for qrp fun.

For a few hundred you'll do better in the long run. Unless one is for the mobile and you leave it there and tolerate the loss risk.

Tom Kb3hg

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »

I think about a week on the air is all it would take to convince anyone that a 10M monoband rig is not a viable choice no matter what the rig or the price.  All the wishful thinking in the world won't create an open band.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »

Now remember 10 is not always open. Now there are other bands you want to try. . Save your (money) get a multi band rig.

Eric, Tom here, and Mark just down the list a bit, are both right about that--when 10 meters is open, it's plenty of fun.  But when it's dead, it is DEAD.  I'm not sure what the privileges are for a new Tech, but a multi-band rig would let you have a bunch of fun on other bands when 10 is dead--maybe not on phone, but CW is actually really easy to get started with, and a lot of fun besides.  I was a Tech for almost a year by the time I finally hooked a microphone to my old Griefkit.  :-) 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »

I do appreciate all the comments on this topic and it has given me much to ponder.  I may still be wrong, but I still think there would be a decent market for a "Big 3" single band 10 meter ssb that could put out 50 to 70 watts and would cost somewhere between 150-200 dollars.(That's what a new 2m rig would cost you.)  For new techs who have already spent that amount on a 2 meter rig and are itching to start Dxing, I think it would be the next logical step up the ladder.

So I think I will search til I find the "perfect" Htx-10 or 100.  They have had good comments and reviews and would be within my budget.

If you had one of these Htx's and wanted to dx with it, what type of homebrewed antenna would you build that is decent for the beginner and affordable?  I built a copper J-pole for 2 meter and really like it and it works great.  

Thanks for all your responses,
Eric

For the price that you can now get them, the HTX-100 is a darn good little radio.  I own one that I have used for years with zero issues.  I logged loads of contacts with just a 10 Meter dipole, or my low cost A-99 antenna trimmed for 10 meters!  Plenty of new hams use them, so when it comes time to move up you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: