Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up a Signalink USB with a Yaesu FT-60R Help  (Read 1982 times)
N1IRF

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »

I just purchased a Tigertronics Signalink USB and I wanted to connect it to my Yaesu FT-60R handheld.  I checked the Yaesu FT-60R user manual on page 11, it describes the setup.  I have the recommended Yaesu CT-44 connector that splits the mike and audio.  With the Signalink, I ordered it with a un-terminated radio cable and a programming header.  My first question was what additional parts do I need?  I know I need a 10uf capacitor but what should I get (electrolytic, how many volts)?  I also need a 2k ohm resistor but at what watt rating? And with the programming header, do I need to solder the parts to it? 

If anyone has any experience with the Signalink and connecting a handheld to it, you advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »

I know I need a 10uf capacitor but what should I get (electrolytic, how many volts)?

25 volts is plenty. However you need a non-polarized electrolytic.

You can either buy a non-polarized electrolytic or make one.

You can make one by putting two polarized caps in series but with both + ends connected in the middle. When you do this, the series value of each cap (assuming they are the same value) is halved. So, to get 10uf non-polarized, put two 20uf electrolytics in series and connected in opposite directions.

Such as    -----====+-----+====----

I also need a 2k ohm resistor but at what watt rating?

Your 2k resistor can be a 1/4 watt.

And with the programming header, do I need to solder the parts to it?

If you use a 1/4 watt resistor, you can just push the ends into the holes. If your caps have small enough leads, you can push the cap leads into the holes. Or you can buy a solder header that fits the socket and solder everything on the back of it. The jumpers on my SignaLink USB are pushed in.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:15:22 PM by N4CR » Logged

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
N1IRF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »

I sent an email out to the technical support at Yaesu and the response was:

You can use a mica or ceramic capacitor, but do not use an electrolytic.
The resistor is very low wattage.  1/4 watt is plenty.

Your recommendation for a capacitor:
25 volts is plenty. However you need a non-polarized electrolytic.
looks like it conflicts with Yaesu technical support. 

Are you using the Signalink with the Yaesu FT-60R? 
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:37:35 AM »

I suspect they indicated to not use a Polarized electrolytic, but left out the polarized part.

You tell me where to find 10 uf non electrolytic caps that will fit inside that box...

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: