Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any decent inexpensive SDR shortwave receivers out there ($300 and under)?  (Read 25216 times)
KB9VGE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »

Add a few more dollars and get a Ten Tec RX-320D. I recently purchased (2) used Ten Tec transceivers. The receivers of both are terrific. That led me to purchase a demo RX-320D from Ten-Tec which will arrive today. Reviews give the RX-320D very high marks. The biggest gripe concerns the control software for the radio. Comments indicate better performance can be obtained using other control software, some of which is freeware. .... W0NTS 

* I have one and love it, but its NOT an SDR radio.
* Yes, there's a lot of 3rd party software, but none of them will change the performance; they just vary in terms of convenience feartures and usability.
* The 320 !!BADLY!! needs to be updated to accomodate a higher speed USB connection
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »

Marty,

I am interested in your hf upconverter and dvb dongle.  How can I get in touch with you?
Randy ka4nma
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »

These are quite nice, a little over your price tag, however you can expand by adding and AMP for transmit, then go later with a TenTec amp to get to 100 Watts.. Ect.

http://www.greenmountainradio.com/G11/order.html

Check them out!

VE2AHI

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »

I'm also ready to recommend the AFEDRI SDR-Net.

Although I have fun with the (3) Softrock kits I've done, the ease of putting the AFEDRI on the home network and then tuning in from whatever computer I'm in front of is a plus. Different software packages allow me to experiment. The radio works well, and the shipment by 4Z5LV was rapid.

There's an active support group on Yahoo, as well. All in all, a great product, from where I sit.

Gord VE2AHI
KS4JU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »

Ham Radio Science did a quick user review on the Afedri. Nice little HF SDR for the money.
http://www.hamradioscience.com/afedri-sdr-net-2-3a-review/
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 12:21:08 PM »

Another poster mentioned SoftRock SDR.

http://fivedash.com/

The cheapest is the SoftRock Lite II Combined Kit for US$21, but you have to build it yourself.  I do have a question about this.  Are there any surface mounted parts I must solder myself?  If yes, then this kit is a no-go for me.    Once built, does it need test equipment to align it? I do not have any test equipment.
I'm in the process of building one of these now to use as an IF skimmer. You do have to solder SMDs, which is tedious and error-prone compared to old-style Heathkits. I've spent hours trying to find one solder bridge that was causing a low-voltage problem, and I'm still not 100% sure I've found it.  Embarrassed  Angry

There is no "alignment" as such. A good multimeter is a must; a scope and a signal generator are helpful but not vital. You will also need a good soldering iron and 63/37 eutectic solder, a Panavise or similar, and a magnifying lamp or head-mounted magnifier.

Be aware that the Softrock Lite II will tune only one band, or part of one.

- WX2S
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:25:27 PM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »

I use the FIFI every day and love it. Its used with SDR-Radio software.  It has a band switching band pass filter in it and also its own dedicated dsp sound card on board plus you can use the sound card in the computer if you want. I use it as a external SDR receiver along with the icom IC-7600. Point and click on a signat and the radio goes there. ,, So cool, I would be at a loss with out it.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »

for a budget of 300USD go to http://fivedash.com and ask for the "BUILT RX ensemble II" and... give me 200 Grin
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »

I ordered a Funcube Pro+ SDR from Martin Lynch in the U.K. a few weeks ago. Cost me about $205.00 delivered.

This thing is amazing. From below the AM broadcast band to almost 2Ghz.

Many different SDR applications support it so you have your choice. Unlike many SDR receivers out there, you have LW, MW, SW, VHF, UHF and SHF.

I am having a ball with this little thing. Really worth it.

W7SMJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »

I ordered a Funcube Pro+ SDR from Martin Lynch in the U.K. a few weeks ago. Cost me about $205.00 delivered.

This thing is amazing. From below the AM broadcast band to almost 2Ghz.

Many different SDR applications support it so you have your choice. Unlike many SDR receivers out there, you have LW, MW, SW, VHF, UHF and SHF.

I am having a ball with this little thing. Really worth it.

The Funcube Pro+ looks intriguing, but I haven't seen anything published regarding the Dynamic Range, only that it's improved over the last version.  Have you seen any issues with front end overloading?  Are you in an urban or rural environment?

Thanks and 73,
Scott
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21:12 PM »

detract more than 200 bucks and have a Built RX Ensemble II from http://fivedash.com/. The Ensemble II is based on the soundcard, which must have a stereo line input and be preferably 16bit or better. Using SDR# gives quite impressive results in terms of image rejection, dynamic range and sensitivity even using a non expensive soundcard. The last but not the least, learning curve is very fast, there are NOT 300 boring pages in the user manual to understand... just plug and play!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: