Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Morse code apps for the iPhone  (Read 595 times)
N6YWU

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »

Hi,

I've got 3 Morse code related iPhone applications in Apple's iTunes App store.

The first one I did, MorseTest, was a configurable 5 character code group generator, which I wrote so I could practice my copying speed.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...297010360&mt=8
Someone's downloading it, but I don't know who.

The second one , MorseKey, is a touch-based straight key, plus an iambic keyer.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...312260358&mt=8

The latest, MorseDecode, is a Morse code decoder, which includes an audio narrow bandpass DSP filter, a spectrum display, and adaptive WPM recognition.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...313071325&mt=8

Please let me know if you've used any of these iPhone apps, and/or have any comments. I also have a limited number of free redemption coupon codes for people who have iPhones, want to review these apps, and maybe leave (hopefully positive) feedback.

Thanks,

Ron
N6YWU
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 06:20:47 AM »

Ron :

I downloaded MorseKey and played with it for a while. It works great.
Its a simple app but a great way to get a little bit of sending practice in. I'll leave some feedback on the Apple App Store for this one.

BTW if you are looking for another idea for a Ham Radio app for iPhone, how about a variation on your inTuna app that could be used for tuning a CW signal?  The idea would be that you preset whatever frequency is the center of your RX passband (i.e usually something in the range of about 600 hz to 1000 hz), then you can use the app to ensure that the received CW tone is the right frequency so that you know that your transmit frequency is zero beat.  All you would need is a version of inTuna that allowed you to set a preference for the frequency.  A lot of people have trouble "spotting" CW signals and having a visual indicator as a tuning aid would be great !

Cheers,

Michael VE3WMB / VA2NB  
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:18:54 AM »

Hi,

The MorseDecoder app includes a peak frequency read-out in the audio spectrum view.  I've used it to help center CW in my transceivers audio filter.  But a strobe tuner for this is an interesting idea.  

Thanks for your comments.  If you want a free redemption code for MorseDecoder, email me at the support address for MorseKey (it's at the very end of the Info dialog), and mention your callsign.

Ron
N6YWU
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:29:29 AM »

Ron :

I'll have to pick up a mic for my iPod Touch but I was planning to do
that anyway. Thanks. I will drop you an email.

BTW I did have another thought regarding future enhancements to MorseTest. There was a recent (i.e within the past 6 months) article in QST that included a list of the most popular words used in Ham Radio QSOs (or maybe it was the most used in the English language, can't remember but I can look it up). It would be a great enhancement to provide an option to allow MorseTest to pick from this list randomly and send these words. I suspect that people will grow tired of random 5 character groups and this would certainly appeal to Hams who already know code but want to improve their speed, especially for head-copy.

If you really want a killer app then you could further expand the functionality ala MFJ Morse Code Tutor to generate "Mock" QSOs.
Their generator has a "formula" that gets to be a bit predictable but I personally found it very useful in helping to get my code speed up after a few year absence from Ham Radio.

Best of luck with these apps ...

Michael VE3WMB
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »

I actually had a list of the 100 most common words used in QSOs, but lost it many years ago.

As for randomly generated CW QSOs, I've heard more than one too many on the air that sounded like they were automatically generated by the same type of software, except with the blanks filled in with the senders details.  I leave encouraging more of that to somebody else...

AJ4MJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

Will MorseDecode work on an iPod touch?  I've gotten conflicting information about whether or not the touch has a mike.
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »

There are two models of iPod Touch.  The first generation had a flat back.  The second generation has a curved back.  Neither has a built-in mic.  Only the second generation device supports plugging an external mic (iPhone headset for example) into its headphone jack.  
N6YWU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 06:54:35 PM »

Text2Morse for the iPhone is now in the App store.  It allows you to download your own practice text from the web.  A limited number of free redemption code for reviewers are available.

Thanks,

Ron
N6YWU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: