Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham license to buy?  (Read 3209 times)
AC6IJ

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »

Is a ham license required to buy ham gear in a garage sale?   Bill
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »

I think the only license needed is one that's green and has a picture of a dead president or founding father on it. Wink
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »

Is a ham license required to buy ham gear in a garage sale?
A reseller can place any terms on a purchase, that are reasonable to the buyer.  It is a private transaction/sales contract.  
IF he only accepts Mexican pecos, then you accept, reject, or counter-offer.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:45:12 AM »

Did someone ask to see your license to buy some equipment at a garage sale?

Rick  wn2c
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:07 AM »

it is required at our club's annual auctions, and proof of licensure is a moderately common requirement.

double-edged sword... a guy working towards his test can't buy a transceiver to copy code, for instance.  but it slows down enough freebanders to be worth doing.
W5CBO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »

Simple answer is NO. Some people do this in an effort to control people who aren't licensed from buying the equipment and using it on CB or worse,on one of the Amateur bands.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »

There is no law that requires you to have a license to buy. However, you did not specify what ham gear you wanted to buy. I think it would not be a bad idea to ask for a license when selling an amplifier. Transmitting is what makes the difference.
If you want to see http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/Welcome.html scroll down to the warning letters and enjoy.
WB2EOD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:35:24 PM »

There is no law that requires the buyer to show or the seller to ask for proof of license. 
As a private party I ask to see a license if what I am selling is capable of transmitting.
I have turned down buyers who could not or would not show a license.

WB2EOD
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:24 PM »

Is a ham license required to buy ham gear in a garage sale?

Thankfully, the only agency which really matters (the FCC) has no regulation that addresses the OWNERSHIP of radio transmitting or receiving equipment (other than, in some cases, US citizenship), only its USE.  Unfortunately, far too many people nowadays believe that they have the authority to MAKE and enforce requirements of their own personal choosing.  AND, before anyone comments; SELF-POLICING requires that a legitimate and ENFORCEABLE law already exists; NOT one made up on-the-fly by the would-be "enforcer".
Speaking for myself, the fastest way for any potential seller to quash a sale would be to ask me for my ham radio (or any other) license.  That would get the same response from me that any private party gets when they ask me for my Social Security card or number.  And, that's NOT very polite.
Tom

I have turned down buyers who could not or would not show a license.

But you CAN'T turn down the other kilodozen or so pieces of the same item out there and that's where I'd go even before you "turned me down".
Tom
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:16:51 PM by WB6DGN » Logged
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »

EOD,

If someones unlicensed XYL is trying to buy them a surprise present?
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »

I don't believe the CEO of HRO is a ham.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

Quote from: K6AER
I don't believe the CEO of HRO is a ham.
Sadly, many of the original HRO amateurs are passing (sk) or have moved to other electronics/radio ventures/companies.
Tom McDuffie, KM6K (sk) manager of the San Diego HRO store passed in 2009.

Jim Rafferty, N6RJ (ex-WA9UCE) [sk] was HRO Vice-President and former manager of Anaheim HRO store.  
It's hard to believe that Jim has been gone (June 1993) now for 20 years, this June. :-(
I first met Jim in 1970 when he was president of W9YOL, WIU radio club station and I was an SW listener (SWL) just starting in electronics/radio.
==
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:47:57 AM by W9GB » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »

I consider a garage sale to be a private sale.  

Therefore, if I'm conducting a garage sale, I feel that I have the right to refuse to sell anything to anyone at anytime, my call.  

But I'm also sure that in these crazy and evil days of litigation and literally thousands of local laws, regulations and other restrictions, there are some out there who might want to take me to court for some violation should I refuse to sell something to them for reasons of my own.  

Bring it.

I state that even though I have in the past attended hamfests where certain vendors in the lot have refused to sell me something simply because of the color of my skin.  Honoring their liberty to sell what they want to whom they want for their own reasons is part of the deal as far as I'm concerned.  And, I wouldn't give 'em my money after finding that out anyway, very likely said equipment led a hard life.   

Liberty only exists as long as we demand it to be so and are willing to occasionally take risks in order to make it so.  

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:25:04 PM by KE3WD » Logged
N7BMW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »

Considering the malicious interference I hear on the air from, presumably non-hams, I think it is a fair question to ask anyone buying a transmitter.

Years age there was an active movement among Ham equipment dealers not to sell to unlicensed individuals.  I have not purchased a new radio for some time so I don't know if they still do that.  It is also a good practice for dealers to verify the address of a buyer to stop fraud.

I often see that same requirement listed by Ebay sellers.

KD8IWZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 03:17:12 AM »

I have only been asked 1 time to show my license, that was when I applied for vanity auto license plates. Never had a dealer, seller at ham fest, or garage sale ask for it. FWIW, when I had a motorcycle dealership, there was no requirement the the purchaser have a motorcycle endorsement on their operators license. I would estimate 1/3 of the sales were to folks who didn't have the endorsement. A lot of the sales were to parents putting the motorcycle in their name for cheaper insurance rates, and the young son being the operator/driver. Only 1 time did I decline to sell a motorcycle. I sincerely told the parents I felt their son didn't yet have the coordination to operate it safely and suggested they wait a year or so. They thanked me for my honesty, and a year I later got the sale.

73 Dale

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: