Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham license to buy?  (Read 3850 times)
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 04:26:50 AM »

To KD8IWZ

"Only 1 time did I decline to sell a motorcycle. I sincerely told the parents I felt their son didn't yet have the coordination to operate it safely and suggested they wait a year or so. They thanked me for my honesty, and a year I later got the sale."

Thank you.

Tanakasan
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

Legally they can sell it to any one but some folks try to keep ham radio "clean " by not selling to non hams, but  some times a wife will want to buy something for her husband, or similar , but legally , no not necessary for purchase from a garage sale.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »

Quote from: K6AER
I don't believe the CEO of HRO is a ham.
Sadly, many of the original HRO amateurs are passing (sk) or have moved to other electronics/radio ventures/companies.
Tom McDuffie, KM6K (sk) manager of the San Diego HRO store passed in 2009.

Jim Rafferty, N6RJ (ex-WA9UCE) [sk] was HRO Vice-President and former manager of Anaheim HRO store.  
It's hard to believe that Jim has been gone (June 1993) now for 20 years, this June. :-(
I first met Jim in 1970 when he was president of W9YOL, WIU radio club station and I was an SW listener (SWL) just starting in electronics/radio.
==

As an old CA relic, I remember the first store was in the old Burlingame train depot.  I passed by it many times while riding the Southern Pacific commuter train back and forth to San Jose. 
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:00 AM »

As an old CA relic, I remember the first store was in the old Burlingame train depot.  I passed by it many times while riding the Southern Pacific commuter train back and forth to San Jose.

That was in the late '60s or early '70s, as I remember.  Before HRO, it was called AMRAD, owned by John Steventon, W6CLS.  It was as much a "meeting place" for hams to come in and shoot the bull as a pretty well stocked radio store.  John was the first that I know of to stock the Times T4-50 coax, later to be renamed LMR400.  I bought several radios from there; a Gonset Communicator 4,  an HQ170 receiver and a couple others.  John was already up in years and finally sold it to those that opened an HRO in the location.  There was lots of competition in those days, though.  Two Zack Electronics stores in San Francisco and Palo Alto, a Quement Electronics with a full ham section in San Jose, Fortune Electronics in San Carlos as well as a couple of dynamite surplus stores in Belmont and San Carlos.  That whole area was a ham/experimenter paradise in those days.  Never been anywhere like it since.
Tom
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »

That was in the late '60s or early '70s, as I remember.  Before HRO, it was called AMRAD, owned by John Steventon, W6CLS.  It was as much a "meeting place" for hams to come in and shoot the bull as a pretty well stocked radio store.  John was the first that I know of to stock the Times T4-50 coax, later to be renamed LMR400.  I bought several radios from there; a Gonset Communicator 4,  an HQ170 receiver and a couple others.  John was already up in years and finally sold it to those that opened an HRO in the location.  There was lots of competition in those days, though.  Two Zack Electronics stores in San Francisco and Palo Alto, a Quement Electronics with a full ham section in San Jose, Fortune Electronics in San Carlos as well as a couple of dynamite surplus stores in Belmont and San Carlos.  That whole area was a ham/experimenter paradise in those days.  Never been anywhere like it since.
Tom

Yep, Tom.  One of those surplus plases was next door  to Eitel McCullough (aka Eimac), JH, I think it was.  Mountain View had Haltek, by far the best.  Better than Halted of Sunnyvale even, that survives today.  I guess my favorite was RA Surplus in Santa Clara.  Great prices.  Laugh about "diving" in his $1 a pound bin for tantalum caps.  Today, the pound of them I still have is worth a tad more.  Ha .
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: