Call Search
     

New to Ham Radio?
My Profile

Community
Articles
Forums
News
Reviews
Friends Remembered
Strays
Survey Question

Operating
Contesting
DX Cluster Spots
Propagation

Resources
Calendar
Classifieds
Ham Exams
Ham Links
List Archives
News Articles
Product Reviews
QSL Managers

Site Info
eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Class AB1 AM Modulator Project  (Read 4691 times)
KC9KEP
Member

Posts: 208


WWW

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

Hello,

I am building a circa 1953 AM Modulator to go along with my 6146B that I had posted
questions about earlier.

I think that it's working fairly well, judging by my power meter and scope trace display.  I have
yet to make a QSO or to get on the air yet (I've just got it operating today).  I have the modulator
connected to my 6146B transmitter and am measuring about 60 Watts output. 
(The modulator is connected to both the Plate Supply to the 6146B and Screen of the 6146B
via a "dropping" resistor.)

One concern that I have; The B+ in the construction article is stated to be around 600VDC,
but my power supply is about 80VDC higher.  I was thinking that perhaps I should have increased
the battery bias supply, but it seems to be working well as it is.
There is a 50 Ohm cathode resistor included in the design that allows the operator to monitor
the cathode current (but I have yet to do so).

Anyway, here are some images.  I am curious to see what others think of this design :-)

http://www.bignick.net/Mod/before.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/rear_1.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/under.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/Temp_Front.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/front_cab.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/rear_cab.jpg
http://www.bignick.net/Mod/top_cab.jpg

Scope Trace:

http://www.bignick.net/Mod/scope.jpg

Schematic wiring diagram:

http://www.bignick.net/Mod/Mod_2.jpg

73!

--KC9KEP
Logged
AA4PB
Member

Posts: 12770




Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »

Super! Any 1953 ham would be proud  Grin
Logged
K8AXW
Member

Posts: 3723




Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »

KEP:  Beautiful work!  Homebrew is a hoot, isn't it??

Logged
GW3OQK
Member

Posts: 137




Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »

ANY and ALL would think that's first class workmanship and beautiful modulation waveform.

How do you cut the big holes? In the 50s I drilled lots of holes with a hand drill and filed the edges. Look forward to hearing your rig on air one day
73, Andrew
Logged
KC9KEP
Member

Posts: 208


WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »

Thanks for the kind words, guys..

GW3OQK - Most round holes were cut with Greenlee punches.  The large circular hole for the modulation
transformer was cut with an adjustable circle hole cutter. 
(It has an arbor and adjustable "arm" and cutting bit.)

The rectangular hole was cut with a sabre saw with a metal blade, then filed to finish it nicely.

I cover the entire chassis with masking tape before marking and cutting.  After all the holes
are cut, I remove the protective masking tape.

Hope that helps :-)

73

-- KC9KEP
Logged
WD5GWY
Member

Posts: 392




Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:23 AM »

Very well done! Wish I had the talent to do as nice work.
My homebrew projects look like a natural disaster in progress!  Roll Eyes

james
WD5GWY
Logged
WA7PRC
Member

Posts: 217


WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:55:51 AM »

Nice work, Tom.  I also browsed some of your other HB projects.  VERY nice work.  Smiley
I noticed we use some of the same techniques.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!