Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW tips please  (Read 392 times)
KA3VEZ

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »

I have an HR2510 mobile rig.  Sadly my main one is in the shop after 12 years of service. It has a CW mode but when you use that mode no audio output but does transmit.  Found out after finding the book for the rig that it operates CW in semi break-in.  The only way I found out to listen is in LSB mode.  Is there a trick in operating CW in this matter?  The other question I have and I know it has been asked but I want to be as legal as possible of course is: What is the hands down way to see if the freq is in use in CW?

Would it be OK to send this at say 13wpm but my main speed will be at 5wpm:

? DE <CALL>

... after listening  for awhile?  

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »

I don't know what you mean by no audio on CW.

Can you explain that a bit more?

To check if the frequency is in use, send "QRL? DE" followed by your callsign.

If the frequency *is* in use the proper response to your question would be "QRL" although some might only sent  C TU (as in "yes, thank you") or something similar.

WB2WIK/6
KA3VEZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:39:27 AM »

If I am listening in LSB mode I have audio from the speaker but when I change to CW mode on the rig I have no audio.  I think I have to treat that mode switch like a T/R switch. To receive I have to be in LSB and when I am ready to transmit in CW I have to switch it to CW.
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

That sounds like something isn't working right.  I'm not familiar with the rig that you mentioned, but I'm pretty sure that you should have receive audio when you aren't transmitting.  You shouldn't have to switch to a SB mode to hear.

Semi-break-in (or semi-QSK) just means that you lose receive audio for a second or so while you are sending.  Like the VOX circuit on phone modes (it sometimes uses the same vox circuit).   If you are fortunate enough to have a full QSK rig, then you get receive audio even between every dit (it can be a little disconcerting when you aren't used to it).

Hopefully, it's just a setup problem and not a broken problem...

73  AA4N

mike
KA3VEZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »

Ever have one of those moments?  This rig has not been used in oh 12 or so years.  This rig has a dial to change modes CW - LSB - USB - AM - FM.  Simple fix was to turn the mode switch back and forth to get rid of the dust.  Fixed it up real quick.  I have audio again.  Thanks all.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »

Glad that you got it working.

FYI - The correct term for the audio that you wanted to hear is "sidetone". Hence your cw sidetone circuit wasn't working.

73 de Mark N1UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: