Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Else Do You Take When Activated?  (Read 3587 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »

Very open ended question, as I would like to hear what others take when activated to serve in various Emcomm roles.

Do you have a standard support kit, or do you tailor to the situation?

Does you support kit focus on self-support (say changes of clothes/weather clothes, needed meds, backup water/food) or branch out to include First Aid kits and repair tools?

Do you provide for your own security or depend on the served agency to cover that?

I happen to customize and have a seasonally focused call-out kit that includes some first aid and assumes that the served agency has its hands full - so that I must in the worst of times be independent.

Steve
K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  (note the Emcomm and Free com page tabs)

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »

"Do you have a standard support kit, or do you tailor to the situation?"
I tend to tailor to the situation.  But, situations tend to fluid and taking what you need for all possibilities would require a large trailer.  So, it is hard to come up with a do-all, loadout plan.

"Does you support kit focus on self-support (say changes of clothes/weather clothes, needed meds, backup water/food) or branch out to include First Aid kits and repair tools?"
Clean clothing is always welcome,  meds are a must, water/food will likely not be provided, personal first aid is good (you are not an EMT, unless of course you happen to be one and then you would have that as your primary focus), and a small repair kit is a really good thing to have.

"Do you provide for your own security or depend on the served agency to cover that?"
This has been argued to death on several threads but, my personal philosophy is that if the served agency can't protect me, I am NOT going there.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

When you're called out, you're supposed to be self sufficient.  You're not supposed to add to the problems.  So....when I was involved, I had five separate kits, and I took them all.  When I got to where I was going, I only took the separate kits from my vehicle that were needed, and when they were needed.  The first were the radios and power supplies, of course.  The second was the antenna kit that held better antennas than the simple ones in the radio kit.  The third was an extended battery kit (separate because it tended to be heavy)  The fourth was a simple personal needs kit, adequate for an afternoon/short term assignment, and the last was an extended personal needs kit for longer assignment useage.

Oh, yes!  One last thing--plenty of aspirin!  
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »

I have been on a few state sponsored comms exercises where we had to be self sufficient.  You would be prudent to plan on being self sufficient for 72 hours.  This means food, water and medicinals.  36 hours was the longest that I had to go but in an actual disaster area deployment, it may take a couple of days or more to get supplied.
Art
KA8BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »

I take what is needed depending on the situation, for drills, bikeathons, etc. water, my personal meds enough for the event,some food ie:granola bars or meal bars extra radio, batteries, flashlight, multitool, pocket knife, cell phone and charger, extra pen and paper, clothes for weather conditions expected including rain gear, small personal first aid kit, and some pocket money all can fit into my laptop backpack and pockets
For larger, longer emergency events all of the above and extra changes of clothes plus the larger first aid kit( i was an emt for 18 years as well as first aid/cpr instructor and disaster cert. for red cross)hard hat, small tool kit case that has socket set, wrench, hammer, allen wrench set needle nose pliers and measuring tape plus soldering equipment, more extra batteries extra antennas and coax, radios and their chargers meds for a week at least, a roll of tp and facial tissues, extra reading glasses- all fit into said backpack and a small duffel bag and the go box plus the laptop with all manuals for all of my radios and most of the popular ones that you might have to operate and most of all know how to manually program your radios in case you need to and don"t have the software or cables. 
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 01:03:52 PM »

Before I became licensed as a ham, I was asked to help with a search and rescue where I ended up spending the night on a remote mountain with only a small hydration pack and 200 feet of climbing rope. My buddy (you never go alone) had the rest of our climbing equipment and a few other light items as we left most of our camping equipment back at the car. We had never planned to overnight on the mountain but were following a promising set of footprints and opted to sleep under the stars instead of retracing our steps and starting again in the morning. Since that day, I always make sure I have the Boy Scout 10 Essentials with me even if I am not expected to be out overnight. They are (with my editing for hams):

1. Pocket Knife and any tools you will need
2. Personal first aid kit with any medicine you will need
3. Extra clothing for the given weather conditions
4. Rain gear (I keep a $1 emergency rain poncho in my "go bag")
5. Flashlight
6. Food (a couple energy bars go a long way)
7. Water (all of this goes in my hydration pack which also has a 100 oz bladder)
8. Matches or a lighter (probably not needed unless you are in a wilderness area as I was)
9. Sun protection - a hat, sunscreen, and lip balm (again, probably not needed unless you are outside)
10. Map of the area and compass (again, for outside use)

All of this fits except for the extra clothing fits in a gallon Ziploc bag and is ready to go at a moments notice. I try to rotate the energy bars every 6 months as they can get a bit old after that. For extra clothing, I try to dress in layers when it is cold.

Personally I hope I never get "activated" but I do have lots of chances to test my supplies. There are a number of public service events that I help out with through the year. Some of the fun ones are those long distance running events out in the middle of nowhere.

VE6FGN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

As noted above, you are expected to arrive self sufficient for the duration of the call out. That means you need all of you gear to do your job, and whatever you need to take care of yourself so that you can continue to do your job.

What many people fail to mention is your family- you MUST ensure that they are self supporting before you deploy. If you cannot ensure that your family is safe and can operate ok without you, don't go.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »

CHEETOS!!   A Must have!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: