Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 WITH YAESU FT-847  (Read 2849 times)
W6PJJ

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »

We are considering interfacing our FT-847 to our (SignaLink USB). Boy... Yaesu did not give much consideration to Digital Modes while running the 847 in the SSB mode nor did they make any provisions for PTT keying during that type of application.  Oh Yes! I can use the front MIC connector but I prefer to make these connections on the rear leaving the MIC connector for its intended purpose. I see that DATA IN/DATA OUT can be used for this purpose but the PTT must take a powered key circuit, I prefer to make use of available sources but do have a problem making to apply a + voltage for keying the PTT circuit if necessary. Is it possible to use the any pins from the CAT connector to provide PTT keying with a pulldown to GND or such? I cannot find much info on the CAT connector with my User and Maintenance Manuals for the 847.

Don

W6PJJ
Cool
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:21:25 PM »

Check the manual for 'packet" or "phone patch" instructions.   They'll tell you where the audio DATA IN / DATA OUT and PTT connections are.

You _do not_ need to use the CAT data line (whatever form it takes).

.           Charles
W6PJJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »

Charles:

I have read page 16 most of the topic is regarding TNC and RTTY AFSK operations, it does mention "and other digital modes utilizing USB or LSB. So one could accept that a phase shift signal could be utilized in the USB or LSB mode but Yaesu did not elaborate here. The PTT is not the typical Pull-Down PTT and requires some current. Also,  I will have to use the PTT on the DATA in DATA out port so the Microphone audio will be disconnected from the normal MIC input, using the standard PTT connection on the rear of the radio does not disable the front MIC audio, this was probably incorporated so one could use a foot switch with a mic/headset system. I will have to make a small circuit for interface and for keying the PTT line. The 847 was built before PSK31 was popular so Yaesu did not incorporate the necessary Gazintas and Gazoutas on the back of the rig. . Back to the drawing board and on to the building bench again. Yaesu's newer xcvrs all have provisions for Digital Modes, the 857 is a good example of that.

Thanks for your reply and remarks.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:31 AM »

Don, I key my 950 for RTTY and PSK31 without a PTT line; I just use the "digital vox" setting.  It's been a long time since I started PSK and RTTY with my 840, but I'm pretty sure I used VOX for that, though I needed to remember to reset it between digital and phone modes.  Building a PTT switch interface is certainly a better approach--but the quick-and-dirty way works, too.  ;-)  73 GL!
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »

FT-847 has no VOX. It can be keyed via the mini data jack. There is a configuration on the Signalink jumper board that involves putting on a resistor and capacitor. All of this is well documented.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »

Scroll to the bottom of this page: http://www.tigertronics.com/sl_wirebm.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: