The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese Amp  (Read 57094 times)
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2015, 07:31:57 AM »

It always seems to be the same story with U S hams - buy cheap, rave for awhile and then complain bitterly when it fails.     
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »

QE, no, in fact it is the 160 meter position.

Which is a lot more common than 10M on many amps except on the SB-220 which is usually an assembly alignment issue. CBers also take out their share.

If it isnt a B+ issue then it is from corona and a brass washer over the contact will likely eliminate it. See the AL-80A from the 80's where it was first used that I know of. Nothing new here folks; I use the same idea to retrofit NCL-2000's, Clipperton L's, various Amp Supply, and other amps that have identical 160M padder problems.

W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2015, 05:52:04 AM »

One thing's for sure looking at the form/function of these central partition divided amplifiers, band switching PI-L network materials design, uP circuits, and all.

I'll bet Alpha rues the day they contracted out the 99 production to Bulgaria.

--Showing up now in discounted products, M&A ownership exchanges, dropping of models serviced, etc.  It looks like only a matter of time now until expiration.  Embarrassed

Seemingly absolute corporate fixation in bringing a high power, automated tuner to market isn't helping either. Yes it wil be spectacular, but with some  "degradation down to  US  legal  limit " of key components and features will be instantly copied worldwide at half the price.  They've done a lot of expensive trial and error research in getting a high power/high SWR, but non twin lead tuner to work.   ...as though the remaining 100 ft. of hammy ham bone's coax won't negate all the effort getting up the tower or out to bake the balun on the off-center-fed wires.

Amazing that Alpha had to make a major redesign, apparently forgetting that for minimum capacitance in a 'L' or later 'T' circuit that variable caps had to have very short lead lengths.  But hey, I sure like that back-lit knob.  Grin. Curious how many pre-orders they've gotten.
Well I have to say, if the tuner helps save them, then more power to them.

It is gorgeous.
http://www.rfconcepts.com/dream-tuner-development-news/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:18:18 AM by W3RSW » Logged

Rick, W3RSW
MM0IMC

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2018, 02:29:14 AM »

Now getting flogged in Europe through Italy on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPLIFIER-HF-HAM-AMPLIFIER-HF-2013DX-da-1-8-a-29-7-MHz-2000Watt/401421041123?hash=item5d768efde3:g:NUUAAOSw-RFaUHeL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMPLIFIER-HF-HAM-AMPLIFIER-HF-2013DXA-automatic-2000W-da-1-8-a-29-7-MHz/162707184945?hash=item25e21a9d31:g:WXsAAOSwor1aUHvQ
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »

I probably have the very first HF-2013 amplifier ever brought into the USA.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »

I probably have the very first HF-2013 amplifier ever brought into the USA.

Do you like it?  Is the quality   equal to how pretty the guts appear to be?
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »

Back a few years ago I covered the trials and tribulations of this amp on here.  You can probably look back and read the thread.  Basically the original HF 2013 like the one I have here, it actually belongs to a friend but it’s getevat my place again.  This amp was supposed to be the demo unit that was to be shown by Hsu at Dayton, but he had a heart attack a couple weeks before and needed bypass surgery so he never made it to US to show it.  It got shipped to Array Solutions but since Hsu wasn’t coming the amp never came to Dayton.  My friend purchased this amp and was supposed to get it after the show and take it home.   That never happened and a long dragged out process ensued getting it shipped to him.  When he finally got it, it didn’t work.  It ended up with some bozo tech who once got  it to turn on proceeded to burn up two band switches. He burned up the original and replaced it and then burned that one up.  That’s when it ended up with me for another band switch replacement.  The story is covered on another thread with the problems.  To answer your question.  This amp is basically a clone of the OM 2500. In fact one small PC board actually says OM power on it.  Once the amp got working it was impressive.  Like all tetrode amps they are great when they work.  All the European amps like OM and Acom and this one are all clones of the old  Alpha 91b RF deck design.  Hasent changed in years. 
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »

I have a Alpha 99 (spare) and a OM2000+, other than the the basic output circuit being a Pi-L design The layout and execution are very different. The OM Power construction and layout is much better and more compact. You could actually change the band switch with out a 7 hours R and R headache the 99 requires. The Alpha Pi network and switch are assembled in a jig and then placed into the amplifier. The OM design has separate coils for 160/80/40-30 meters. I addition the 6 meter is a separate Pi network.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2018, 04:54:53 AM »

Funny you should mention being assembled in a jig because I actually in a crude way did assemble the new band switch in a jig.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »

Has Hsu recovered?  I havent seen any posts in ages.

Carl
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »

Yes he has Carl but the amp business he started originally with his partner went bad.  They split and the partner I believe went on to become what is now Amptech or whatever the name is that was selling amps on eBay.  Hsu might have been selling for a while under some name but without state side warranty repair sales aren’t good.  I turned down an offer to be a stateside repair center.  I must say however that Hsu did bent over backwards in supplying all the needed parts to get this amp up and running!  I haven’t heard from him in a long time either.  The partnership he had went bad but I think Hsu was the better businessman and the other guy was more of the engineer type.  One of my buddies bought one of those eBay amps and is constantly with the owner over cropping problems.  He’s in Canada.  The guy is good about sending parts though as that is the only way he can avoid units being shipped back.  Obviously it’s a risk buying these units.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: